How Many Lost Because...

Inf4life

How Many Lost Because...

Post by Inf4life » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:41 am

Originally posted by felixflamingo:
There is slightly less luck than you think.

Buehler & Hartley news was out August 28th, they were confirmed out 9/2 and 9/1 respectively. Drafting a guy #1 overall who might not play week one is another example. If you don't keep up then you roll with your "bad luck". At the point Foster was at for that draft there was optimism of him playing then he tweeted the MRI picture. If it was for certain he was gonna be out then we would've drafted AP or Rice. The chances you take on drafting so early before the season.

[ September 13, 2011, 03:43 PM: Message edited by: Go Getta ]
2007 NFFC Classic Champion

joetreff

How Many Lost Because...

Post by joetreff » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:42 am

Oh, you wanted to know how many people lost because of a fluke game by the Pats and a 99-yard catch by a 5'4" wr?

It's the exact same number of people who won their game because of an awesome showing by a superb offense and a 5'9" perennial 100 catch star.

mattjb

How Many Lost Because...

Post by mattjb » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:52 am

Originally posted by Route C:
quote:Originally posted by mattjb:
quote:Originally posted by Route C:
This has always been part of the NFFC but I sure would like to see it change for next year.
The rosters were loaded in plenty of time to run FAAB by Wednesday and I think that's always been the hiccup in the past.
I wasn't really effected by the rule but it stinks for everyone who was.
Maybe Greg can change that for 2012.
Good luck the rest of the way! we all have plenty of bench spots. we choose to roll the dice with one kicker - it's risk/reward to get that extra WR or RB. No need for a rule change.
[/QUOTE]Sure there is. Anything that gives more control/choices to the players is a good thing.
I don't really see a downside to it other than playing devils advocate...I mean it's not like it's a new concept right. It's the difference in which week we start waivers which could be week 1..2..3..4..5 etc.
[/QUOTE]you can draft as many kickers as you like. can get much more choice than that.

Inf4life

How Many Lost Because...

Post by Inf4life » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:01 am

Originally posted by mattjb:
This has always been part of the NFFC but I sure would like to see it change for next year.
The rosters were loaded in plenty of time to run FAAB by Wednesday and I think that's always been the hiccup in the past.
Good luck the rest of the way! we all have plenty of bench spots. we choose to roll the dice with one kicker - it's risk/reward to get that extra WR or RB. No need for a rule change.
[/QUOTE]Sure there is. Anything that gives more control/choices to the players is a good thing.
I don't really see a downside to it other than playing devils advocate...I mean it's not like it's a new concept right. It's the difference in which week we start waivers which could be week 1..2..3..4..5 etc.
[/QUOTE]you can draft as many kickers as you like. can get much more choice than that.
[/QUOTE]Say by chance BOTH your QB's get hurt in the last preseason game or tweak something in practice. Would you want to go into the first game of the season with NO QB??? Or would you have the option to drop that second kicker or Mr. Irrelevant for a QB fill in??? There's always another side to the coin here.
2007 NFFC Classic Champion

mattjb

How Many Lost Because...

Post by mattjb » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:10 am

Originally posted by Go Getta:
[/QUOTE]Say by chance BOTH your QB's get hurt in the last preseason game or tweak something in practice. Would you want to go into the first game of the season with NO QB??? Or would you have the option to drop that second kicker or Mr. Irrelevant for a QB fill in??? There's always another side to the coin here.
[/QUOTE]If both my QBs get injured this saturday should i get another shot at a free agent?

Route Collectors

How Many Lost Because...

Post by Route Collectors » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:29 am

That's a bad example. Your QB's getting injured in a walk through are a lot less than the final pre-season game.
Honestly this is the type of discussion that keeps me off the boards.
A couple of guys who have legit concerns because of early injuries try to talk about it...get the wagging finger school marm lecture on how they should've known better. Seriously....I guess we just don't have the right crystal ball!
Remember this though...no one is exempt from needing the occasional FF frustration vent so it's always better to show a little compassion...especially on the MB. Just my $.02

joetreff

How Many Lost Because...

Post by joetreff » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:59 am

I took Matt Ryan and no backup QB. So I don't even need two guys to get hurt...just one. The last thing I will do is want the rules to be changed if he gets hurt.

I get an extra roster spot for someone else and aww geez I have to start Dalton for one week instead of carrying Hasslebeck for 8 weeks...

This is the game. You get 9 spots on your bench for anyone you want. I don't get another QB, you don't get another kicker.

Route Collectors

How Many Lost Because...

Post by Route Collectors » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:29 am

Originally posted by felixflamingo:
I took Matt Ryan and no backup QB. So I don't even need two guys to get hurt...just one. The last thing I will do is want the rules to be changed if he gets hurt.

I get an extra roster spot for someone else and aww geez I have to start Dalton for one week instead of carrying Hasslebeck for 8 weeks...

This is the game. You get 9 spots on your bench for anyone you want. I don't get another QB, you don't get another kicker. Not sure if you're replying to me but I don't need a kicker. I don't need anything really but some guys do.
No rule change here just the thought of moving the date up. Maybe you don't care and that's ok but if you think it's a bad idea maybe if you stated why and how it hurts our game you'd have a better chance of winning me over.
I don't think the "tough crap" approach is a good argument though.

mattjb

How Many Lost Because...

Post by mattjb » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:30 am

Originally posted by Route C:
That's a bad example. Your QB's getting injured in a walk through are a lot less than the final pre-season game.
Honestly this is the type of discussion that keeps me off the boards.
A couple of guys who have legit concerns because of early injuries try to talk about it...get the wagging finger school marm lecture on how they should've known better. Seriously....I guess we just don't have the right crystal ball!
Remember this though...no one is exempt from needing the occasional FF frustration vent so it's always better to show a little compassion...especially on the MB. Just my $.02 we;re discussing it. just because i don't agree with you you throw in "this is the type of discussion that keeps me off the boards" which is somewhat ridiculous. injuries are part of the game - if you draft a position without a back up you are taking a calculated risk - if that risk backfires you want a rule change?

Coltsfan

How Many Lost Because...

Post by Coltsfan » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:18 pm

I remember a couple of years ago when I ran with Matt Schaub at QB and the only other QB on my roster was his backup. I also had Kris Brown at kicker so anyways when the hurricane hit I was just out of luck.

But the point is that for every person that "bad luck" hurts it also helps someone else. So at the end of the day it all evens out but it sure does hurt when you lose a player before you have a chance to replace them on the waiver wire.

The one guy I was surprised to see drafted this year was David Buehler. Dallas was trying out kickers to replace him every since camps opened so I wasn't sure why folks were wanting to take the risk of him as their primary kicker. But Kaeding and Hartley really hurt!

Wayne