NFL Networks Top 100 Players Of All-Time

kentucky

Post by kentucky » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:33 pm

Originally posted by GOD Hates You:
Earl Campbell should be higher than Emmitt. Deion Sanders is a better player than Ray Lewis. totally agree on Earl, Emmitt gets votes on longevity. we'll let Ray and Deion go face-to-face and decide who's better... :D ...i'll take Ray...

let' smake it simple, who would you rather have on your team defense, Ray Lewis or Deion Sanders?

[ November 09, 2010, 07:36 PM: Message edited by: KyThunder ]
bill cleavenger
"BIG BLUE NATION" ... We don't rebuild, we reload!!!

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:37 pm

Originally posted by weber:
God, John Elway should be over Manning at this point in my book.. he should be in the Top 5. Are you kidding or are you related to Elway???

Manning 200 games, 4460 yards, 64.8% completions, 52,606 yards, 382 TD's, 185 interceptions.

Elways 234 games, 4123 yards, 56.9% completions, 51,475 yards, 300 TD's, 226 interceptions.

So Elways played more games, threw for less yards, less TD's, had a much lower completions percentage, but he did manage to throw more interceptions.

My question is - exactly which stat are you looking at that made Elway better than manning - rushing yards???????????

Wayne

[ November 09, 2010, 07:38 PM: Message edited by: Coltsfan ]

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:49 pm

Using that logic then Trent Dilfer is obviously much better than Marino.

Wayne

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:07 pm

Here's the deal. Whenever someone brings up a "popular" QB from the past who might have been very good it is always said that they are better than the QB's today but there is no way to support this other than saying "I believe it to be so" or "they won more super bowls."

Bradshaw had a 51.9% completion percentage, passed for 212 TD's and had 210 interceptions. His 28,000 yards is well less than Manning.

Staubach threw for 153 TD's - well less than half of Manning. His completion percentage was 57% and he only went for 22,700 yards.

There is just NO way to look at this and make a case that these guys are better looking at the numbers. But with Peyton it just doesn't stop at the numbers. No QB has EVER had such command of his team. The things he is doing have never been done before. He is revolutionizing the position of QB and he will be the standard qB's strive for in the future.

So to get back to your original post. If "you believe" they are better than great. If it's due to Super Bowl wins then lets bring Dilfer in the picture. If you know of stats that I'm not aware of that say these guys are better than Manning bring them forward. Maybe it's because Elway is clutch. Ooooppps, no, I checked that too. He commpleted 60% of his passes in the first half and only a little over 50% in the second. Anyways, bring on the numbers - I would love to see them.

Wayne

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:15 pm

Wayne, comparing QB stats from different generations isn't completely fair either because the game has changed so much. Today's QBs will far surpass any of the stats of the QBs from the 1960s, '70s and certainly before. The game has changed.

That being said, you are correct, Manning is in a rarified class and the NFL experts supported that. This guy is tough, he's durable, he's clutch, he's commanding, he's a winner. I'm with you, he's among the very best as a play-caller, for making all of his players better, for his incredible accuracy, everything. He's a treat to watch, especially in person.

Montana was amazing for his coolness and perfection in the clutch. I think he deserves his ranking. Unitas was dominating like Manning is now. He didn't have to pass as often, but he was a perfectionist like Manning and so accurate and so clutch. I have no problem with those three being in the Top 10 overall.

The voters basically said that Favre, Brady, Elway and Marino were all equals, but in a second tier. Hard to argue with that. I don't disagree. All of them were elite QBs and among the very best ever. But not THE best. Manning continues to be among THE BEST today and forever.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius