2007 NFFC Plans

Greg Ambrosius

2007 NFFC Plans

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:06 am

Originally posted by KJ Duke:
I think changing defensive scoring would be a mistake. Those that complain about defensive counting too much do so because they don't want to spend two seconds analyzing defense, and don't want it to have any impact.

I analyzed the numbers in previous years to show that drafting a defense was pretty much useless under the prior system, with the difference between top and bottom scoring D's virtually irrelevant. I wouldn't want to see defensive scoring reduced. Agreed. We won't go back to the previous scoring setup as I agree we need to reward teams that throw shutouts or hold teams to few points. We weren't doing that before and the other contest doesn't do that now. This was a year where defenses really did earn their keep and our scoring reflected that. But it still needs to be tweaked just a little.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

kjduke

2007 NFFC Plans

Post by kjduke » Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:06 am

UFS, I think most (including myself) prefer a simple calculation, like pts allowed, rather than having to watch a team's total yardage at game's end to see if they will win or lose.

As for allowing two TD's, we've had this debate before, and I believe holding a team below the league average should be rewarded because it puts an average offense in position to win the game. Also, it is as much about penalizing a player for starting a team defense that allows a lot of pts as it is about rewarding a defense that gives up avg pts.

renman

2007 NFFC Plans

Post by renman » Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:07 am

KJ Duke,

I am just brainstorming, and I am not in any way married to the thing I brought up. However, regarding your example... I know that a defense can come on the field with the opposing offense already on the goaline. But at the very least if that defense gives up a TD there they were on the field when the TD happened. I know lots of things can happen within each NFL game in terms of how the game breaks that can impact fantasy scoring.

But when your defense loses fantasy points because of a turnover that goes returned when they were not even on the field sort of rings hollow to me. I do agree with you that whatever format we use for defensive scoring it needs to be as simple as possible to follow, monitor and understand.

kjduke

2007 NFFC Plans

Post by kjduke » Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:12 am

Originally posted by renman:
KJ Duke,

I am just brainstorming, and I am not in any way married to the thing I brought up. However, regarding your example... I know that a defense can come on the field with the opposing offense already on the goaline. But at the very least if that defense gives up a TD there they were on the field when the TD happened. I know lots of things can happen within each NFL game in terms of how the game breaks that can impact fantasy scoring.

But when your defense loses fantasy points because of a turnover that goes returned when they were not even on the field sort of rings hollow to me. I do agree with you that whatever format we use for defensive scoring it needs to be as simple as possible to follow, monitor and understand. I can see your side of this, I just think that drafting a team defense is in reality also drafting that team's offensive ability to not turn the ball over and control the clock.

renman

2007 NFFC Plans

Post by renman » Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:19 am

Originally posted by bald is beautiful:
I agree with BillyWaz - Point no. 3 is excellent.

Perhaps I am in the minority on this, but BBDS is a concept that I have not yet utilized and am not familiar with what should be bid. I am sure that I will not be alone on this come next July/August if BBDS is utilized for satellite leagues and the main event. So, for all of us that are ignorant on the concept, I fear that players familiar with it might have a small advantage in the bidding process. Knowledge is power. If I'm wrong, please tell me. FYI - I understand the concept, just not how it will play out. Thanks.

Jack Jack,

You are not alone in this. The BBDS issue has been debated for a while now. Though there are things about it that are attractive for me personally, I have argued against ramming it into the main event for the EXACT reason you highlighted. I think the NFFC is doing the right thing in allowing BBDS in a few side leagues where demand calls for it and thats about it. I am sure they will monitor how it goes but I do not think you have to worry about it being a major part of the NFFC mainsteam anytime soon.

ultimatefs

2007 NFFC Plans

Post by ultimatefs » Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:20 am

Originally posted by KJ Duke:
UFS, I think most (including myself) prefer a simple calculation, like pts allowed, rather than having to watch a team's total yardage at game's end to see if they will win or lose.. This makes no sense.

That information is listed in the same part of the box score as fumbles lost, INT's, sacks.

Using a combo of both more accurately reflects what the Def did, just like how recptions added to yardage and TD's more accurately reflects than just yardage and TD's alone.
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.

renman

2007 NFFC Plans

Post by renman » Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:21 am

KJ Duke,

I agree with you about drafting your team defense with their offense in mind being that how the offense plays can impact the defense as well. I am not sure you can draft a team defense with factoring into it how likely it is that the offense will turn the ball over on plays that result in TD's. I just wondered if there was a way for stats to only count points that are scored against the actual defense/special teams when the defense/special teams are on the field.

It was just a thought and I wondered if anyone else ever thought about it...

[ December 26, 2006, 03:26 PM: Message edited by: renman ]

kjduke

2007 NFFC Plans

Post by kjduke » Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:26 am

Originally posted by renman:
KJ Duke,

I agree with you about drafting your team defense with their offense in mind being that how the offense plays can impact the defense as well. I am not sure you can draft a team defense with factoring into it how likely it is that the offense will turn the ball over on plays that result in TD's. I just wondered if there was a way for stats to only count points that are scored against the actual defense when the defense is on the field.

It was just a thought and I wondered if anyone else ever thought about it... I believe antsports run their game based on defensive pts allowed only (excluding scoring turnovers).

kjduke

2007 NFFC Plans

Post by kjduke » Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:31 am

Originally posted by UFS:
quote:Originally posted by KJ Duke:
UFS, I think most (including myself) prefer a simple calculation, like pts allowed, rather than having to watch a team's total yardage at game's end to see if they will win or lose.. Using a combo of both more accurately reflects what the Def did, just like how recptions added to yardage and TD's more accurately reflects than just yardage and TD's alone. [/QUOTE]Sort of true. Bend but don't break type defenses would score worse under your scenario even though a defense won't lose a game by giving up yards. The sole purpose of a defense, in a real game, is to keep the opponent from scoring. A team doesn't lose because of yards allowed.

Quahogs

2007 NFFC Plans

Post by Quahogs » Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:34 am

1. NFFC Content Panel. I promise to pick a group of 14-28 owners who are willing to talk about football year 'round and will use their input on rankings and other content online and in our Fantasy Sports Magazine. Don't volunteer for that job just yet, but I promise to get this started early in 2007. I'll even create an NFFC Content Panel league in late August that will reward the champion with a free 2008 NFFC Satellite League entry. But my ultimate goal is to keep the NFFC Message Boards hopping with content year-round and these panelists will help us out in that goal.

-----------------------------------

Maurice Jones-Drew. 60th player taken in the 2006 draft. NFFC pts weeks 14-16 ? 30-22-32. Drafted in what round ? 10+? Rookies can make a HUGE difference in your season. Wish you knew a LITTLE more about him in September ?

Want to keep the MB humming a bit in the slow months from Jan thru April ? Keep the football diehards heads in the game through the lean months ? Have Greg and Tom run an NFL DRAFT DRAFT CONTEST.

Simplicity at its best: 14 players, 6 snake rounds each draft a college. Most players drafted from their list of colleges wins. The draft is done online through the message board. Pick a school, next person up adds to the thread. Draft can be done any time. $200 a pop, allocation discussed later. Hopefully both Greg and Tom participate ! Football draft banter / analysis/ discussion at its finest. Why wait until the fantasy mag tells you about these guys in August (and not to even draft them !) Find out yourself in early April !

Thoughts

:D

Q