Time To Consider PPR For RBs In The NFFC

Chi_Town_FEW

Post by Chi_Town_FEW » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:09 am

I like the .5 point for RBs as is. Is McCoy worth 38 more points? Arian Foster worth 30+ more? With running backs I think the rich would just get richer. Of the 19 backs with 40+ catches last year 16 were full time starters for someone anyway. We are in a downtrend for TDs for RBs. It looks like the 20 td back is long gone. In the last 3 years only 7 backs have had 15 or more tds. 3 the last 2 years. That will shrink the fantasy numbers for rbs for sure.
The last 5 years 6 to 10 wrs get 10 tds. The previous 5 it was more like 4 to 8 players. Last year out of the 10 wrs with 10 tds only 2 caught more than 80 balls. It really balances out I think.
The thing 1 point per reception will change the most is the draft I think. There is such balance from every draft spot and teams are all built differently which is one of the great things about the NFFC. I think it would favor the beginning of the draft and rbs more in my opinion. The .5 point adds more balance to the draft. Winning teams can be built from anywhere on the board. A full point might change that ever so slightly.
I dont think the NFFC will gain any more players with the full 1 point per reception. I dont understand why anyone would not play here because rbs only get a .5 point per reception. Really? Really? 3RR and KDS are winners and .5 point per rb and I am out. No way will I play there. No. Something else going on there.
Just my 2 cents. Thanks and good luck to all the NFBC players.

PS. I think the 1 point per reception would work better in the 12 team format to bring in new players. My comments above were for the 14 team format and after reading Red Ryders post again with Gregs comments I think it would help the 12 team format much more than the 14. Add it to the 12 and keep the 14 the same is my vote. But like Hammer said, whatever it takes to pay the bills you do. Thanks.

[ April 04, 2011, 12:21 PM: Message edited by: Chi_Town_FEW ]

Quahogs

Post by Quahogs » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:08 pm

Seems simple to me. 2 separate weekends - 14 team the 1st weekend, 12 the 2nd. .5 ppr RB for the 14 team event and 1 ppr for the 12 teamer. :D

JerseyPaul

Post by JerseyPaul » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:13 pm

I can't believe I'm posting about rules on the NFFC boards. This must be, what, 2003?

All my FF play the last few years has been in 12 team ppr events. It's what I know, it's what I'm comfortable with. There must be others that feel that way.

My main reason for staying away from the NFFC, however, is that clique thing mentioned above. After having a team lay down late in the season and give a win to a team trying to catch me, I never played here again. It was the only week that particular team did not field his "best" team. Yes, it cost me money. LOL, just writing this makes me really mad again, after all these years. Even madder than not getting paid (so far) what WCOFF owes me.

TOMDOG

Post by TOMDOG » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:02 am

I agree with Shawn and Billy,but must agree that Jules has a really good point.
If the object is to grow the contest,1pt ppr all around is probably the way to go.
Please just dont mess with 3rr and KDS.Having some sort of control over what slot i get is unique and beautiful in HSFF.

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:02 am

I really like the idea of keeping the 14 team leagues as the are but possibly going PPR in the 12 team league in order to appeal to the masses. Even though I love the 14 team event, it's the 12 team event that has the most growth potential.

Wayne

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:25 am

Originally posted by Coltsfan:
I really like the idea of keeping the 14 team leagues as the are but possibly going PPR in the 12 team league in order to appeal to the masses. Even though I love the 14 team event, it's the 12 team event that has the most growth potential.

Wayne This is certainly an option I am considering. I think a lot of our veteran players want us to keep the niche we have created, which includes 3RR, KDS and half point per reception for RBs and in some ways I agree. But that "niche" might also be limiting our appeal to mainstream players. It's one of the reasons I'm looking at some rules changes: I don't want to just be a "niche" contest when there is room to grow.

Tom and I have talked about keeping the NFFC Classic the way it is: 14 teams, 1/2 point per reception for RBs, 3RR, KDS. We both agree that changing the 12-team contest to PPR for all backs and leaving 3RR/KDS might be the way to go for the Primetime. Both would be unique contests and anyone winning both formats would have proven their skills.

We're still talking it through, but let us know what you think of that possible plan.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:32 am

Originally posted by JerseyPaul:
I can't believe I'm posting about rules on the NFFC boards. This must be, what, 2003?

All my FF play the last few years has been in 12 team ppr events. It's what I know, it's what I'm comfortable with. There must be others that feel that way.

My main reason for staying away from the NFFC, however, is that clique thing mentioned above. After having a team lay down late in the season and give a win to a team trying to catch me, I never played here again. It was the only week that particular team did not field his "best" team. Yes, it cost me money. LOL, just writing this makes me really mad again, after all these years. Even madder than not getting paid (so far) what WCOFF owes me. JP, I assume you feel this is therapeutic to come on our boards to explain why you no longer play here, but blaming the NFFC for what may have happened in your league play seems to be placing the blame in the wrong spot. I've never even heard this story before, but if it happened, what should the NFFC have done? What are other contests doing in that situation that we're not doing? I hope you get paid by WCOFF, but I'm not following the rest.

As for 12-team PPR leagues, I do understand what you are saying there. I agree, I think we need to get mainstream there and the game has changed to where we need to consider moving to PPR for RBs in that format. 3RR and KDS is still very unique, but I think it makes our contest a better game as it puts draft spots in the hands of the owners, not the game operators. I think keeping 3RR/KDS and moving to PPR might be a winning combination in the 12-team format. We'll see.

You're always welcome back here, but your bad loss here seems too painful to overcome. Good luck wherever you play.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:24 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
quote:Originally posted by Coltsfan:

Wayne This is certainly an option I am considering. I think a lot of our veteran players want us to keep the niche we have created, which includes 3RR, KDS and half point per reception for RBs and in some ways I agree. But that "niche" might also be limiting our appeal to mainstream players. It's one of the reasons I'm looking at some rules changes: I don't want to just be a "niche" contest when there is room to grow.

Tom and I have talked about keeping the NFFC Classic the way it is: 14 teams, 1/2 point per reception for RBs, 3RR, KDS. We both agree that changing the 12-team contest to PPR for all backs and leaving 3RR/KDS might be the way to go for the Primetime. Both would be unique contests and anyone winning both formats would have proven their skills.

We're still talking it through, but let us know what you think of that possible plan.
[/QUOTE]This sounds like a good compromise to me. All 14 team events stay as is, and Primetime and 12 team online go to full PPR.

Works for me!

joetreff

Post by joetreff » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:45 am

Greg-Tom,
I wouldn't worry about changing it to full PPR and all of a sudden a bunch of new players are signing up. That seems a bit much. There aren't dozens of $1400 fantasy players just waiting for full PPR for running backs.

FFPC has 2 flexes and 1.5 for TE's, so someone looking for a high stakes contest can't choose a basic scoring system anyway.

My vote is no. I had enough of running back leagues in the past and Brian Westbrook being more valuable than Peyton Manning.

philpo

Post by philpo » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:06 am

Looking back at the last 11 seasons total points scored for rb's and wr's that scored 200 points or more per season here are the averages per season.

.05 ppr 14.4 rb's
1.0 ppr 18.6 rb's
1.0 ppr 23.5 wr's