Tom Lorenzo From RotoExperts Will Chat HERE Tonight At 8 p.m. EST

snydayre

Post by snydayre » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:42 pm

Ah, well the servers just kicked me after typing answers for about 10 minutes, so I apologize if these seem short...

Originally posted by The FF Maestro:
Tom,

1) in the middle rounds would you take a chance on a rookie WR with a high ceiling like AJ Green, Julio Jones or Greg Little as opposed to a solid, proven wideout yet with a lower ceiling like say, Mike Thomas, Lance Moore or Mario Manningham?...

Tom: Moore-Manningham are the more "sure" things. I don't draft rookie receivers in the middle rounds. I would wait until later in the draft. Think of them as low-end WR3, WR4 at best. I would look at Jones first, but he's going to be my 4th receiver in most situations.

2) now that Lee Evans has signed wih the Ravens, would you put Joe Flacco up in the same potential breakout candidate-to-be-elite-class of "other" unnamed QB's as well?...

Tom: He moves into the Ryan/Eli Manning/Josh Freeman tier, but is not quite in the Schaub/BigBen/Romo type of tier. Like the move for Evans, though. But wouldn't take Flacco over the Schaubs and Romos of the world.

3) Jeremy Maclin - stay away or let's play?...

Tom: Let's play! I think this is a "i'm not quite happy" injury that will be resolved by time the season starts. Until I hear otherwise, I'm in on Maclin.

4) please persuade me as to why I wouldn't want to have a top 5 pick in the draft this year and a shot at one of the few clear-cut stud RB's there?...

Tom: Because there is no such thing as a sure thing. Just ask Frank Gore/Steven Jackson/Ray Rice owners from last year. Oh, and ask Arian Foster and Jamaal Charles owners how they did!

5) MJD - I feel that he is this year's BIGGEST wildcard of the draft as if he's really healthy (and I personally think that he is and will remain so as he's a gamer and is out to prove his doubters wrong after playing hurt most of last season) he can be the overall #1 RB this season but if not, well then, doom and gloom for his owners...

Tom: See above on MJD. He's a Top 5 talent and I, like you, take him at his word that he's healthy NOW, but I can't guarantee he'll remain healthy all season. Can't do it!

6) I think that there is a rather HUGE dropoff after not only the top 5 QB's this year but believe it or not, and contrary to popular opinion/belief, the top 5 TE's as well...conversely, I also feel that there is mucho "parity" and a smaller tier-dropoff to be had at the RB/WR position this season as well...please convince me as to why I wouldn't want to be head and shoulders above the competition by grabbing one of the top 5 elite at QB/TE positions earlier than I typically would in past years and draft my RB/WR in the latter rounds?...

Tom: The TE dropoff isn't as big as you make it out to be. I'm with you on QBs (to an extent), but I'd be happy with Owen Daniels, Jimmy Graham, Zach Miller, etc. Think health when it comes to TEs. The guys on top have tons of question marks when it comes to health.

...thanks much...

drago

Post by drago » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:43 pm

Which mid-round RB such as Ryan Grant, Marshawn Lynch, Fred Jackson, Ryan Williams, or any other do you think will step up this year and be a contributor to a fantasy league title?

snydayre

Post by snydayre » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:48 pm

Originally posted by The FF Maestro:
Ok, some "Rapid Fire" here;

Mike Wallace or Vincent Jackson?

Tom: It's close, but I'm a Mike Wallace guy. Maybe in a PPR league you can look at JAckson over Wallace, but in a non-PPR league I'm definitely taking Wallace.

Frank Gore, Stephen Jackson or Matt Forte?

Tom: Frank Gore for me. He's a better lead runner, and he'll get better opportunities to get into the end zone than S-Jax and Forte. In a PPR league, Gore gets a bigger bump up.

Matt Ryan, Big Ben or Matt Schaub?

Tom: I'm a Matt Schaub guy! I think he's going to join the ranks of Tony Romo and Philip Rivers by the end of the year. He, more so than Big Ben and Ryan, could find himself in the Top 5.

Jason Witten or Dallas Clark?

Tom: Close, again, but give me Clark. Peyton Manning will always find a way to get Clark 10 scores. Always! And that's good enough for me.

Josh Freeman, Matthew Stafford or Eli Manning?

Tom: I give the edge to Freeman. He's got the best shot at playing 16 games this season and I can see him hitting the 30 TD mark this season.

thanks much...

snydayre

Post by snydayre » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:55 pm

Originally posted by telestar:
I have two questions to ask Tom if he has time to respond...

It seems QBS are going earlier than in previous years - in 12 team PPR leagues do you ascribe to the late 1st/2nd rounders (Rodgers, Vick & Brees); 3rd rounders (Brady, Rivers, P.Manning); 4th/5th rounders (Romo, Schaub, Ryan), selecting two QBS between 6th-10th rounds (Ben, Eli, Josh, Stafford, etc) - or not planning and looking for value?

Tom: Great question! For me, it depends on where I'm drafting. If it's late in the first round, I might look to get Rodgers-Vick (depending on who else is there), but If I'm early in the first I'm looking at a top RB in the first and then a second RB/top WR in the 2nd and 3rd. If that's the case, I tend to look at QBs later in the draft -- take two between 6-10th, as you said. So, really, it'a all about draft position and it's also about who does or doesn't fall to me. If I'm 10th overall and Rodgers and Vick are gone, I'm passing on a QB in the first two rounds and looking to try and grab one in the 3rd-4th-5th (Brady, Manning, Rivers, Schaub, etc.).

In a 12-team PPR where do you see the line between tier 2 and tier 3? Tier 1 seems to include 6 RBS (Foster, AP, Jamaal, CJ, Rice & McCoy). Clear tier 2 RBS include MJD, Mendenhall, Forte, DMC and Gore). How many others would you include in a tier 2 group before you see a clear break in value?

Tom: I would add Peyton Hills to tier 2 without thinking twice. After that, though, there's a drop into the S-Jax/Blount tier. But don't forget about Hillis. Especially in a PPR league!

snydayre

Post by snydayre » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:00 pm

Originally posted by mattjb:
Does Jamal Charles start getting 20+ touches a game or is any drop off from Thomas Jones picked up by McClain?

Tom: I'm not so worried about Charles' touches. I do think that McClain will get some goal line touches, but even then that wasn't Charles' game -- that was Thomas Jones'. If there's anyone who can make the most of his touches it's Charles. So while he may not get 25 touches, he's still going to put up Top 4 numbers.

snydayre

Post by snydayre » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:04 pm

Originally posted by The Herd:
Which mid-round RB such as Ryan Grant, Marshawn Lynch, Fred Jackson, Ryan Williams, or any other do you think will step up this year and be a contributor to a fantasy league title?

Tom: I'm liking Lynch this year. With the Seahawks adding some firepower on offense (especially the second TE), Lynch will see better looks. I would rank those guys: Lynch, Mathews, Williams, Jackson, Grant. Mathews is the guy in San Diego, despite the fact that people are buzzing about Tolbert.

snydayre

Post by snydayre » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:05 pm

I'll keep checking back, if you guys have any more questions or follow-ups!

CraigW

Post by CraigW » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:10 pm

Personally I rank the top WR as Andre, Calvin, White and Fitzgerald and while the next tier has tremendous upside some are still risky too me. How do you round out your top 10 WR and are all of them 2nd round worthy picks?
The Artist Formerly Known as Hard Heads

DoubleG

Post by DoubleG » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:15 pm

sorry for not submitting questions before. i just got back from vacation.

1. more pts this year, gates or witten?

2. best late round rb to gamble on?

3. best late round qb to gamble on?

4. more pts this year, stafford or bradford?

snydayre

Post by snydayre » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:23 pm

Originally posted by CraigW:
Personally I rank the top WR as Andre, Calvin, White and Fitzgerald and while the next tier has tremendous upside some are still risky too me. How do you round out your top 10 WR and are all of them 2nd round worthy picks?
Tom: Here are my ranks... Andre, Calvin, Roddy, Nicks, Fitzgerald, Jennings, Wayne, Miles Austin, Mike Wallace, Vincent Jackson.

If it's a PPR league, I might sneak Wes Welker in there ahead of Jackson.