Playoff Teams make sense?

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:42 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
I don't think you'll see a wild card format coming from the NFFC at this point. what is the downside of including a few extra teams? curious. thanks.

Just my two cents, for what they're worth. ;) probably worth a lot since you run the show. ;)
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

dgamblnman

Post by dgamblnman » Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:58 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
quote:Originally posted by Route C:
Again confusing fantasy with the real thing.
How about comparing this to the NCAA b-ball tournament. Sure there are a few below average teams that get automatic bids. (FF records)

There are always several very good teams that get at large bids. (FF points)

I can't remember a top 25 team ever missing the big dance. Why not? Because the point is to have the best teams competing for the crown.
If you want to be the best, you have to beat the best. ;) yes. the ncaa tourny is a great example. good job. [/QUOTE]ummm, it is 64 because it was much more revenue than the 32 it originally was, it is about TV, not competitioan. If it was up to the NCAA, they would have all the teams enter into the tourney for more revenue..... Why won't they have a playoff for football?

dgamblnman

Post by dgamblnman » Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:00 am

"Again confusing fantasy with the real thing.
How about comparing this to the NCAA b-ball tournament. Sure there are a few below average teams that get automatic bids. (FF records)"

AH Ha, people claim the real thing to meet their agenda, then use fantasy when the real thing doesn't work for them......

Flip...
Flop...

The current system of playoffs is good, it compares teams within the same league. Adding additional teams means comparing leagues across the board, that is not a good thing. Some leagues are weaker than others.

[ November 03, 2004, 04:02 PM: Message edited by: Vega$ Gambler$ ]

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:20 am

Gordon, there isn't a downside to including playoff teams who deserve it. You are correct, it may be a worthy failsafe to cover our bases going forward (sorry, wrong sport). I guess we'll evaluate how many teams it affected this year and if it does affect any, we'll make sure it doesn't happen again.

But I'm not going to go crazy and allow 25% of all teams into the playoffs and allow everyone to get hot for three weeks and win it all. Our regular season is longer for a reason and those teams who finish first or second DESERVE to advance to the elite round. But you are correct, there may be a handful of teams who are left behind who also deserve it and we'll do right in the future to prevent that if this year proves that it happened initially. Thanks for the input and suggestion.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Wed Nov 03, 2004 11:10 am

Originally posted by Vega$ Gambler$:
The current system of playoffs is good, it compares teams within the same league."any system that could allow a team with second highest regular season point total to miss the playoffs is not a fair system. you may think it's "good", but i suspect you are in the minority. actually, you might be the only person against it.

Adding additional teams means comparing leagues across the board, that is not a good thing. Some leagues are weaker than others. what? i thought you said in many of your posts that it's all about the players you draft. don't give me EXCUSES about leagues being weaker.

try doing this about 100 times. maybe it'll sink in then. thanks.

[ November 03, 2004, 05:11 PM: Message edited by: Gordon Gekko ]

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Wed Nov 03, 2004 11:16 am

ummm, it is 64 because it was much more revenue than the 32 it originally was, it is about TV, not competitioan. If it was up to the NCAA, they would have all the teams enter into the tourney for more revenue..... and the sky is blue. your statements do nothing to advance your argument. it's like saying in response to the blind bidding on draft slots argument "the success of your team depends on who you draft". wow! i didn't know that one. again, keep trying, phil. eventually you'll trip me up on one of my posts. but if i can go 900+ without being wrong, i think i'm doing good.

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Wed Nov 03, 2004 11:18 am

But I'm not going to go crazy and allow 25% of all teams into the playoffs and allow everyone to get hot for three weeks and win it all. my # was 17% i believe, up from the current 14%.

skipman

Post by skipman » Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:02 pm

I think the is no reason to add more spots to the playoffs. If the concern is that some truely good teams will get jobbed then how about this. Any top 20 team that does not make the playoffs with the current system would get a wild card. That way you dont open the playoffs to bad #3 teams, but any top team that got a bad break with scheduling or what have you would get it.

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:35 pm

Originally posted by skipman:
I think the is no reason to add more spots to the playoffs. If the concern is that some truely good teams will get jobbed then how about this. Any top 20 team that does not make the playoffs with the current system would get a wild card. That way you dont open the playoffs to bad #3 teams, but any top team that got a bad break with scheduling or what have you would get it. ya, something like what Greg or you proposed may be a good idea. i would think the # would have to be proportional to the # of teams in the event. i have a feeling that a lot of #3 teams (as you call them) would have more points than the #1 teams.

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:49 pm

In another national contest, they let the top 2 go from each division (based on record and points in a 12 team division), and then they take the next 18 top scorers from ALL the leagues to the "championship round".

I think something like this would work nicely here also.