Week 6 Top 30

Gordon Gekko

Week 6 Top 30

Post by Gordon Gekko » Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:30 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
I feel these numbers bear out one simple but important fact: You can win your league title from any spot in the 14-team draft order. All this talk about how teams couldn't win drafting 13th or 14th should be put to bed by now. There's more to winning this thing than getting the "ideal" draft spot. I don't mean to piece-mail my thoughts, as after the season is over I'll have some in depth thoughts on a multitude of topics.

Any owner who thinks you can win from any draft slot would have no problem participating in a blind bidding process, as they could save all of their FA $ and draft at the least desired position, whichever it would be.

I think some feasibility issues were brought out about a few weeks ago about a blind bidding process actually working, i.e. collusion and making it simple enough for the fantasy masses to understand.

The collusion issue is a non-issue as the blind bidding can be done before leagues are know to NFFC participants.

As Dyv said, the blind bidding process can be described using many examples and clear procedures. Even the FA blind bidding process described in the rules section of the website, doesn't go in-depth with examples, etc..., yet somehow owners were able to figure it out.

clearly many owners would find blind bidding on draft slots to be fun, exciting, and add strategy to the game. other than
1) not changing because this is how it's been done in the past
2) collusion
3) simplicity of blind bidding instructions
do you see additional barriers? thanks.
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

Gordon Gekko

Week 6 Top 30

Post by Gordon Gekko » Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:35 am

Originally posted by Vega$ Gambler$:
Are suggesting that picking your own slot will eliminate poor drafating and injuries???????????? NO!!! It will not have any impact on injuries/poor drafting. If the owner in the mid-season league who drafted culpepper first has culpepper go down with a season ending injury, and their team finishes last, and then they try to blame their poor season on blind bidding, they are wrong.

Blind Bidding on draft slots only enhances the way draft slots are distibuted. Nothing more.

Tom Kessenich

Week 6 Top 30

Post by Tom Kessenich » Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:39 am

What it boils down to as far as I'm concerned is if you believe that you can win a championship from any draft position (which is what I believe), why create a new process to determine draft order in the first place? Just curious.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Greg Ambrosius

Week 6 Top 30

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:45 am

Gordon, the barriers are really two:
1) Informing everyone of the procedure.
2) Getting everyone to make those bids.

Even in the mid-season league, three owners never bothered to make bids. It's not that they made $0 bids on all spots, they never took the time to make the bids. If you get 400 to 600 owners in next year's contest, it will be up to US to make sure everyone not only understands this concept but that they all make a bid. I'm not saying it's impossible to do, but it's strange that of 28 guys who signed up for this mid-season concept to try out this bidding procedure, three of them didn't even take the time to make bids AND THEY KNEW HOW IT WORKED.

Again, anything is possible with the right promotions and right setup. But it's a concept that's like swimming upstream in a crowded pool. Don't take this the wrong way as I'm not editorializing here, just pointing out the one fact from the mid-season leagues.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

lichtman

Week 6 Top 30

Post by lichtman » Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:45 am

I still think that it would be even more fun (funner?) to do the draft slots as a live auction before the draft.
Hello. My name is Lee Scoresby. I come from Texas, like flying hot-air balloons, being eaten by talking polar bears and fantasy football.

Gordon Gekko

Week 6 Top 30

Post by Gordon Gekko » Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:47 am

Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
What it boils down to as far as I'm concerned is if you believe that you can win a championship from any draft position (which is what I believe), why create a new process to determine draft order in the first place? Just curious. you can win from any slot. are there more desired slot for each specific owner, sure there is! someone may want the first pick, someone may want a middle pick, someone may want a lower-end pick. Customers win either way. win-win situations are tough to come by.

1. Adds fun and excitement
2. Adds strategy
3. Gives owners (customers) input into what some people think is an issue (draft location), whether you believe it is an issue or not. a good % of customers do

Gordon Gekko

Week 6 Top 30

Post by Gordon Gekko » Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:52 am

it's strange that of 28 guys who signed up for this mid-season concept to try out this bidding procedure, three of them didn't even take the time to make bids AND THEY KNEW HOW IT WORKED.i don't know the three owners or the circumstances, but i do know it was a "rushed" league, as we only had a day or two to get everything running. perhaps the owners thought that not submitting bids was equivalent to all zeros, which is what they wanted. all of these issues can be addressed given some time.

But it's a concept that's like swimming upstream in a crowded pool. Don't take this the wrong way as I'm not editorializing here, just pointing out the one fact from the mid-season leagues. I value KP/Greg/Tom being open to suggestions. I don't personalize anything. Everything is all good fun. You guys need to grow your business. Us customers have to lobby for things we view as improvements. Thanks for listening.

dgamblnman

Week 6 Top 30

Post by dgamblnman » Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:51 am

Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
What it boils down to as far as I'm concerned is if you believe that you can win a championship from any draft position (which is what I believe), why create a new process to determine draft order in the first place? Just curious. And BINGO was his name-o

Gordon Gekko

Week 6 Top 30

Post by Gordon Gekko » Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:49 am

That's okay Vegas, Tom, etc...plenty of time to talk about this. i may have to break out some old tricks. let's resume this discussion after the season. thanks.

Dyv

Week 6 Top 30

Post by Dyv » Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:15 pm

If I felt that the lack of 3 owners turning in bids would be used AGAINST the process we would simply have cancelled the program altogether. We put a league together, with owners, payment info, bidding and drafting in what... 5 days from first post to final draft lists? Sure bidding on draft slots has an added complication factor - but it nullifies SOME of the objections people have to serpentine drafts (i.e. he got a better pick slot than I did, etc.) Whether it's TRUE or not is irrelevant as it allows for more strategy and thus is more enjoyable to the participants. In the late season league I saved my cash and got the 13th pick and was very happy with it. So? So I get more FA bucks to spend now... and someone else got the #1 pick and landed Culpepper and they are thrilled, too. Sounds like a good situation, right?

I haven't gotten #2 pick value out of LaDanian Tomlinson in the main draft yet and I'm still doing pretty well in the contest. I don't care for a high draft pick, personally - I'd actually prefer a later pick.

So, we all agree it adds something cool to the process, right? Everyone can get what they want (the traditional argument for auction drafts in the first place) and you can bid or not bid on your position at your own discretion. Right? Nobody is debating the positive factors are they?

The negative is that 'the process could be confusing'

If someone were inclined that confusion could very easily be overcome... it's certainly not any more confusing than giving a point or 1/2 point for a reception is it? That's a unique rule and very cool. And yet it's not 'obvious' is it?

The bidding process could be on the website, very simple to administer and would be fun.

Having said that - I'll play regardless. I just like the idea of watching people squander their FA budget and I still get the later draft pick I want. What could be better?

Dave
The Wonderful thing about Dyv's is I'm the only one!