Defensive Scoring Points: Are They Fair

BONGIZMO

Post by BONGIZMO » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:44 am

Gordy said "let's not turn fantasy football into fantasy lottery"

No instead let's make it an FFL Grab bag of endless requests to Greg to alter his event as you have done for the last several years... :rolleyes:

Oh and Gordy, tell me again how controlling your draft slot is working for you this year? :D
Never do card tricks for the people you play poker with.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:47 am

Originally posted by Sound Advice:
I was waiting for this one.

Please give the def LESS points!!!

You added way too many last year.

I believe the idea was that shutouts were rare and deserved more than they were getting.

NO ONE wanted defenses to decide all the outcomes.
It was a great idea, but the implications were horrible.
Defenses now decide WAY too many games.

I don't think anyone wanted the team def to decide half the close games.

Subtract some of those points for next year please.

If you add more def points it will become:
"I play in the NFFC, you know the one that drafts defenses in the first round. lol."

I'd go for 1 per block, but points need to be taken away overall. Maybe take out the punt/kickoff return td, and lessen the points structure, so that overall the def get less points than they do now.

Chi picks up a rookie's fumble on the 5 and walks in=6
Chi strips a dead ball on the 10 and walks in=12
Chi runs back punt through 5 missed tackles=18.
no mas. Well, let's understand one thing about the scoring changes for defenses: They were to the points rewarded for holding teams to very few points. Defensive TDs were a part of the NFFC before this year and they are part of every fantasy football league I've been involved in recently. The three TDs the Bears got should have been awarded 18 points, don't you think? Why would you reward those with any less points? They counted as 6 points on the board. That won't change going forward.

Defensive turnovers have also been rewarded for years. The shutouts and points allowed under 12 should be addressed here, unless we're doing something that nobody else is when it comes to defensive TDs. Carry on.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:48 am

Chicago isn't the only team that is scoring a lot of points...Jax and Baltimore have score a lot of points too. I'm sure there are a few others that I'm missing right off the bat...And whatever scoring system we'd be using right now, Chicago would be scoring the max that it has to offer. They've been the most dominating defense in the NFL.
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:50 am

Originally posted by SNAKE:
...when these new DEF scoring rules were initially announced and implemented, SNAKE thought on paper and in theory this was a good thing...however, now that he has seen it in actual practice and in the reflection of the new rules playing a MORE than significant factor in deciding the outcome of too many games, SNAKE has reversed course...SNAKE believes that the points awarded for DEF's overall should definitely be scaled back some as otherwise it actually would be justified to have some of the percieved top DEF's on draft day going as early as the 5th round (which is absurd ISHO)...how much to scale back and where is left for far more brighter minds than...SNAKE You do change like the wind, don't you Snake? :D How about a suggestion like "shutouts are still worthy at 8-10 points instead of 12" or "don't give anything for holding teams to 13-17 points"? Brighter minds are thinking that way.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Quahogs

Post by Quahogs » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:12 am

I believe the change in D scoring from 2005-2006 was a nice increase to rootibility. I had the Den D this past week and had the same interest in what was going on on the D side as I did when the O (T.Bell) had the ball.

Q

RiFF

Post by RiFF » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:17 am

Overall. I support the current scoring system for Defense/Special Teams. The one tweek I would probably would make is widening the differential in scoring for shutouts. So, I would either increase the scoring for a shutout to 15 or lower it in the other categories. i.e. 12-6-2-1 or 15-8-4-2. Personally I would favor 12-6-2-1.
Although I suspect traditionalists who have become accustomed to the current scoring format will resist any change to it; the idea of combining Defenses and Special Teams into the same roster position has never made a lot of sense to me. It's somewhat analagous to drafting a team QB rather than a QB. (St. Louis QB vs. Marc Bulger)
So, my suggestion would be to consider adding a new roster position for Special Teams. The Special Teams would get credit for Kickoff and Punt return TD's, Fumble Recoveries on Special Teams and Blocked Punts and FG's to the extent those categories were added. Also, it never made sense to me that kickoff and punt return yardage was never included into the scoring format.(What's the difference in Reggie Bush fielding a punt at the 20 yard line and running it back 25 yards to the 45 and fielding a fair catch at the 20 yard line and on 1st down catching a screen pass and running it 25 yards to the 45. In both instances N.O. has the ball at the 45. In one instance the 25 yards is included in the scoring format and in the other it isn't) So, I would include i point for every 25 yards in Kickoff and punt returns in Special Teams scoring. I would also credit 1 point for each touchback recorded. Including a seperate Roster spot for Special Teams would also add an additional element to Drafting strategy.
Including this seperate Roster spot for Special Teams would increase Starting Lineup size to 11, so I would also increase Roster size to 20. Just something to think about, so don't stone the messenger.

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:17 am

Rootibility is the word of the day Q...lol

Seriously, why have the defensive position in fantasy if it's not going to be any factor in the scoring? I understand about not overdoing it, but it's not like Greg's proposing tackles/pass defended/forced fumbles not recovered...This is a pretty basic system being used.
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:30 am

Originally posted by BONGIZMO:
But then again Gordy, any competitors Defense is too valuable when you hang your hopes on the Skins D eh? as everyone can see, you are trying to bait me into a duel again. i see all those years of losing have given you a sense of humor

[ October 18, 2006, 12:30 PM: Message edited by: Gordon Gekko ]
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:32 am

Originally posted by BONGIZMO:
Oh and Gordy, tell me again how controlling your draft slot is working for you this year? :D the only league i have control over my draft slot through BBDS, i'm in first place overall...and it's against far better players than the likes of you
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

DOOMSDAY

Post by DOOMSDAY » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:33 am

The Defensive/Return TD's, obviously should stay at 6 points as you mentioned. Sacks at 1 point and Turnovers at 2 points I think should also stay as is. Shutouts at 12 points I like as well as it basically guarantees a "real-life" win in the NFL.

The only ammendment I would like to see is doing away with awarding points for holding a team to 13-17, and possibly lessening the 8-12 from 4 points to 2 points and maybe even only for 8-10.

I see no need to add points for blocked FG's or Punts or onside kicks recovered. If the blocks result in turnovers are they not already awarded 2 points? And if they are returned for TD's are they not already rewarded with 6 points?

Lastly, I have this incredible inability to properly type "points" on the first try without it winding up as "pints"! No joke. I guess I just subliminally crave beer!