Would You Be In Favor Of Ranking Your Draft Spots?

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:16 am

Originally posted by renman:
I see this system as the best for sending the highest number of owners into the event happy or reasonably happy with the position they will be drafting from... i consider the kentucky derby method as a BIG step in the wrong direction.

renman - why not conduct the WEEKLY FA using the kentucky derby method. thanks.
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

Ted's Cracked Head

Post by Ted's Cracked Head » Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:00 pm

I do not buy the "KISS" concept.

I think that some of you folks are not giving the "target audience" the credit they deserve. Either idea gives owners the "appearance" or "sense" that they are somewhat in control of their draft slot and that goes a long way regardless of whether or not their is any proof that any given pick can have an advantage or not.

They want to control their own destiny as much as possible.
My mama says she loves me but she could be jiving too! BB King

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:08 pm

Preference:

1) draft slot bidding
2) draft slot preference w random selection
3) the way it is now

renman

Post by renman » Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:15 pm

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
quote:Originally posted by renman:
I see this system as the best for sending the highest number of owners into the event happy or reasonably happy with the position they will be drafting from... i consider the kentucky derby method as a BIG step in the wrong direction.

renman - why not conduct the WEEKLY FA using the kentucky derby method. thanks.
[/QUOTE]gekko...

because the bidding process is by far the most PURE form of deciding things like free agents AND even draft positions. you seem to be missing my point that having this kind of brand new bidding process involved in the main event regarding draft spots will likely scare many newbie owners away who have no concept of how it would work...

just sending in a prefered draft position list is much more simple and more likely to result in people being happy as the guy who draws the 14th spot might get his 5th favorite draft position depending on who takes what ahead of him... in a bidding process... most will NOT get what they want...

the main focus is on growing the event... once the event is sold out i am open to the idea of bidding for the draft position you so desire...

Route Collectors

Post by Route Collectors » Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:28 pm

I wonder................I've read several posts where different owners have used the statement "this will scare newbies away".

My question - and honestly I'm not trying to be sarcastic - is this:
Have you asked any newbies, conducted a poll or do you have any facts to back up this statement?

Seriously, where does this opinion come from and what exactly gives it substance?

Just an honest question.

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:42 pm

Originally posted by Route C:
I wonder................I've read several posts where different owners have used the statement "this will scare newbies away".

My question - and honestly I'm not trying to be sarcastic - is this:
Have you asked any newbies, conducted a poll or do you have any facts to back up this statement?

Seriously, where does this opinion come from and what exactly gives it substance?

Just an honest question. Very good point RC. I think you could easily argue this sequence as typical.

1) newbie wants to play high stakes
2) newbie finds NFBC and determines that is a legitimate, fair game, with a better payout than what he's played in the past with similar 5x5 rotisserie rules
3) newbie signs up, eventually learns all of the rules and does the best he can
4) newbie finds this message board discussion and laughs over all of the discussion about him being scared away by some minor point of rule

Robert Zarzycki

Post by Robert Zarzycki » Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:50 pm

Not really sure why, but I prefer the traditional random method over the Kentucky Derby style. -z-
Robert Zarzycki
Author of Drafting To Win & Fantasy Football's Big Six (AuthorHouse.com)

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:49 pm

I'm in favor of blind bidding OR Kentucky Derby style, as at least it gives you SOME sort of control over what pick you get.

Blind bidding for your slot would be my first preference, but I think it is A LOT more work (for the people calculating - Tom and Greg) than the people who want it so badly are leading on. I wouldn't mind giving it a shot though!

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:08 pm

Originally posted by Z-Men:
Not really sure why, but I prefer the traditional random method over the Kentucky Derby style. -z- ...probably because the kentucky derby method isn't fair...

[ October 10, 2005, 10:09 PM: Message edited by: Gordon Gekko ]
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

Robert Zarzycki

Post by Robert Zarzycki » Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:31 pm

Originally posted by BillyWaz:
. ...but I think it is A LOT more work (for the people calculating - Tom and Greg) than the people who want it so badly are leading on. I wouldn't mind giving it a shot though! Greg and Tom,

There's talk of how bidding for draft slots would be a lot of work for you guys. Couldn't you guys use the commissioner software to process the blind bidding for you? That's been my thought on this all along. It's just like us bidding on free agents each week of the season only you would add one more week's worth bidding before the season started, and you'd have to add draft slots to the bidding list. -z-
Robert Zarzycki
Author of Drafting To Win & Fantasy Football's Big Six (AuthorHouse.com)