Live Chat With Greg: Wednesday At 3 PM ET

DoubleG

Post by DoubleG » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:04 am

greg - i've taken shone greene in the 4th/5th round of some early drafts. good pick or bust pick?

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:10 am

Originally posted by DoubleG:
greg - i've taken shone greene in the 4th/5th round of some early drafts. good pick or bust pick? With an ADP of 49, he seems to be going in the fourth round in most 14-team drafts. There's nothing wrong with that pick if you believe what the Jets are saying, that he's going to be their workhorse this year. And he should be. Heck, in that Colts' playoff game he handled the load and was a stud. He was a monster at Iowa. He has the skills and the experience now to be the everydown back and get the goal-line scores. He's certainly a guy we could look back at this ADP and say he was a steal. It's not a given, but he's definitely one of the backs who could put up 1,300+ rushing yards and 12+ TDs. It wouldn't surprise me, but staying healthy is the key with this guy, as it is with most backs.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

The Franchise

Post by The Franchise » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:26 am

Originally posted by DoubleG:
greg - who is this year's Arian Foster? 6-9th round pick early in preseason to 2nd rounder come Sept I'd love to answer this one, but it's Greg's stage......

Greg - When a player who is a certain 1st Rd pick ends up dropping in drafts because he is an injury risk. When does he become a value?

Example: In baseball this year Utley was that kind of guy.

- After having success in the Playoffs in the Packers zone blocking scheme; does Starks continue where he left off or does Grant (and his contract) get the job?

- Grant is owed a 1.75 million roster bonus on the 15th day of the "new year" (hasn't started because of the lockout) in addition to his 3.5 base salary. I wrote that he could get cut. Any chance you see that happening?

I guess your answer to the second question will answer the third one. ;)
Winning isn't everything, but the will to win is.

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:29 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by DoubleG:
greg - i've taken shone greene in the 4th/5th round of some early drafts. good pick or bust pick? With an ADP of 49, he seems to be going in the fourth round in most 14-team drafts. There's nothing wrong with that pick if you believe what the Jets are saying, that he's going to be their workhorse this year. And he should be. Heck, in that Colts' playoff game he handled the load and was a stud. He was a monster at Iowa. He has the skills and the experience now to be the everydown back and get the goal-line scores. He's certainly a guy we could look back at this ADP and say he was a steal. It's not a given, but he's definitely one of the backs who could put up 1,300+ rushing yards and 12+ TDs. It wouldn't surprise me, but staying healthy is the key with this guy, as it is with most backs. [/QUOTE)

2 big problems with Greene (actually ONE).........

L.T

1) He is arguably one of the best goal line scorers of all time....why would they NOT give him the ball (like they did in that Colts game)???

2) No way Greene is playing on 3rd down with LT and McKnight (who they want to get more involved). Limited catches....ala Turner.

They were hyping him last year, and he was a 3rd rounder who was useless. In the 4th and more optimism, I can see it, but I would rather have any of the other backs that go where he does as of right now.

[ July 18, 2011, 04:39 PM: Message edited by: BillyWaz ]

RiFF

Post by RiFF » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:51 am

Originally posted by Diesel:
Word is that D.Williams will be brought in to take Moreno's job.. Word is that Tebow is going to take Orton's job Not great for morale. These are drastic changes to team chemistry. If this team doesn't click in the first couple of weeks, I foresee an ugly, ugly season for the Broncos.

Yeah, and Moreno at RB and Orton at QB paints a pretty picture..... :eek:

DoubleG

Post by DoubleG » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:31 am

Originally posted by RiFF:
quote:Originally posted by Diesel:
Word is that D.Williams will be brought in to take Moreno's job.. Word is that Tebow is going to take Orton's job Not great for morale. These are drastic changes to team chemistry. If this team doesn't click in the first couple of weeks, I foresee an ugly, ugly season for the Broncos.

[/QUOTE]:D

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:37 am

Originally posted by RiFF:
quote:Originally posted by Diesel:

[/QUOTE]The lesser of 2 evils.
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:46 am

Originally posted by The FF Maestro:
greg, who are your wr sleepers that you can get after the 10th round as a wr4 or wr5 who has a chance to be a legit wr3 or wr2? I wish we could all find those sleepers, but right now you might be able to find them before free agency begins. Looking at our current ADPs, a few potential wr3 or wr2's could emerge if they land with the right team. I'll list them here:

147. Plaxico Burress: Hey, with the right team he could surprise.
160. Mike Sims-Walker: Hey, with the right team he could surprise.
161. Randy Moss: Hey, with the right motivation on the right team he could surprise.
173. Greg Little: The lockout will definitely hurt this rookie, but he easily could be the Browns' primary target.
174. Jon Baldwin: Like Little, the lockout will hurt this rookie, but he's definitely talented enough to surprise.

There are no guarantees on that list above, but we'll find out shortly if their stock improves once free agency gets underway. In the right situation, those top three veterans could be viewed more favorably in a few weeks.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:53 am

Originally posted by The Franchise:
quote:Originally posted by DoubleG:
greg - who is this year's Arian Foster? 6-9th round pick early in preseason to 2nd rounder come Sept I'd love to answer this one, but it's Greg's stage......

Greg - When a player who is a certain 1st Rd pick ends up dropping in drafts because he is an injury risk. When does he become a value?

Example: In baseball this year Utley was that kind of guy.

- After having success in the Playoffs in the Packers zone blocking scheme; does Starks continue where he left off or does Grant (and his contract) get the job?

- Grant is owed a 1.75 million roster bonus on the 15th day of the "new year" (hasn't started because of the lockout) in addition to his 3.5 base salary. I wrote that he could get cut. Any chance you see that happening?

I guess your answer to the second question will answer the third one. ;)
[/QUOTE]The key with picking any player coming off an injury and starting the year with an injury is to do your projections and honestly predict how many games you think he will play, what kind of numbers you think he will produce and then slot him accordingly. With guys like Utley, like you said, I'm more afraid of taking those guys because of the unknown that the injury could flare up again. That's just me. Others will feel he's a good bargain in the fourth round and grab him. Many leagues, as you know, let him go past the 10th round and now he's paying off. Each situation, each league and each player is different but the process is the same: Make your projections and slot him in accordingly.

Starks was unbelievable for the Packers down the stretch and he's definitely a bigger back than Grant. Personally, I think Grant brings more to the offense, but I think McCarthy likes the size of Starks more. I really believe you're going to see two backs sharing the load this year -- which hurts their fantasy values -- with Grant emerging as the starter.

I don't see the Packers cutting Grant. They're not hurting under the current cap and it's not like Starks has ever played 16 NFL games before. They need both guys to be healthy if they're going to make another title run.