Playoff System Protest

thegambler

Playoff System Protest

Post by thegambler » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:31 am

sorry but the nffc does not have the "BEST PLAYOFF FORMAT ANYWHERE" not for me at least.

i also have been playing fantasy football for a very long time and a playoff system should be in every league. it gives more teams a chance towards the end of the year. it gives the team that started out slow but now is scoring a chance to make the playoffs with points. 4 team playoff means more teams in the hunt till the end.

i know this has been talked about here forever and i know the vets are very much against a playoff system but i think for future growth the nffc need to adopt a playoff structure. remember guys, this is a business....and businesses are here to make money and grow.

wcoff is dead but they had over 1000+ teams that played there. out of those 1000+ teams i am sure half moved to either here or the ffpc. the goal is to keep the people that came here and try and get some of the guys that took the year off.

yeah i am a first year guy here so i know my opinion doesn't mean much to most of you....but in order to grow you do need to listen to your new people and potential customers. i came over here from wcoff with a few guys and all of them, unfortunately, are going to move over to the ffpc next year just because of the plyoff system or better yet non-playoff system here.

Tom Kessenich

Playoff System Protest

Post by Tom Kessenich » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:36 am

Originally posted by thegambler:
i came over here from wcoff with a few guys and all of them, unfortunately, are going to move over to the ffpc next year just because of the plyoff system or better yet non-playoff system here. That's disappointing to hear if true. We do believe we have a strong format in place but we definitely want to hear what everyone thinks about whether we should make any changes. The playoff format question is one we are paying particular attention to since we know there are a lot of former WCOFF players who really like that format.

That's one of the reasons why we sent out a survey to our first-time participants. We want to get your feedback about everything we offer, including the format. Based on the early returns of the survey it appears our first-year players prefer the format we have in place. That doesn't mean we've locked into anything for 2012 but that's what the data has told us so far.

Here are the results from our survey with regard to the playoff and regular season format questions:

Q: Do you like the NFFC's 13-week regular season better than an 11-week regular season?
Yes 82%
No 18%

Q: Would you rather have head-to-head league playoff games in weeks 12 and 13?
Yes 45%
No 55%

Q: If given a choice in the 12-team format, would you rather have the current NFFC setup or the WCOFF league setup?
WCOFF 41%
NFFC 59%

[ November 15, 2011, 11:37 AM: Message edited by: Tom Kessenich ]
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

mattjb

Playoff System Protest

Post by mattjb » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:41 am

yeah i am a first year guy here so i know my opinion doesn't mean much to most of you....but in order to grow you do need to listen to your new people and potential customers. i came over here from wcoff with a few guys and all of them, unfortunately, are going to move over to the ffpc next year just because of the plyoff system or better yet non-playoff system here. the survey carried out with only new players doesn't back up that opinion at all.

thegambler

Playoff System Protest

Post by thegambler » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:19 am

Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
quote:Originally posted by thegambler:
i came over here from wcoff with a few guys and all of them, unfortunately, are going to move over to the ffpc next year just because of the plyoff system or better yet non-playoff system here. That's disappointing to hear if true. We do believe we have a strong format in place but we definitely want to hear what everyone thinks about whether we should make any changes. The playoff format question is one we are paying particular attention to since we know there are a lot of former WCOFF players who really like that format.

That's one of the reasons why we sent out a survey to our first-time participants. We want to get your feedback about everything we offer, including the format. Based on the early returns of the survey it appears our first-year players prefer the format we have in place. That doesn't mean we've locked into anything for 2012 but that's what the data has told us so far.

Here are the results from our survey with regard to the playoff and regular season format questions:

Q: Do you like the NFFC's 13-week regular season better than an 11-week regular season?
Yes 82%
No 18%

Q: Would you rather have head-to-head league playoff games in weeks 12 and 13?
Yes 45%
No 55%

Q: If given a choice in the 12-team format, would you rather have the current NFFC setup or the WCOFF league setup?
WCOFF 41%
NFFC 59%
[/QUOTE]i saw the poll tom and i think it might be a little misleading....most that came here new of the non-playoff format and were good with it but not sure all will be good with it when they finish 3rd in scoring or 2nd in record and don't make the playoffs.

and unfortunately it is true about my crew....not me. i am here for the long haul. i like it here, playoffs or no playoffs. good people, good owners, good league.

Tom Kessenich

Playoff System Protest

Post by Tom Kessenich » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:23 am

i saw the poll tom and i think it might be a little misleading....most that came here new of the non-playoff format and were good with it but not sure all will be good with it when they finish 3rd in scoring or 2nd in record and don't make the playoffs. I don't believe the poll is misleading since the questions were very straightforward. Again, we haven't made any final decisions about 2012 but I think the data is pretty clear at this point. Could people change their minds if the season doesn't go the way they hoped? Absolutely, that's possible. Every year there are going to be people who don't like whatever system is in place because of how their season unfolded. We can't please everyone.

We will be doing more surveys, especially after the season is over. So you haven't had your last chance to tell us what you think by any means.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Greg Ambrosius

Playoff System Protest

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:20 am

Originally posted by Blue_Foot:
Well, my team won again this week and I am now 3rd in total points in my league and 4th in record. I cannot catch the points or the record for a Championship Points Chase birth. Bummer. But, I could still dramatically effect who makes the Championship Points Chase. I really think the NFFC needs a playoff system. Is it time to make a point about competition by throwing a key game? I have always tried hard in every game regardless of the quality of my team. But, I continue to be disappointed that the NFFC refuses to adopt a reasonable playoff system that better mirrors the actual sport that we all follow so closely. Opinions? Let me have it...I may deserve it...really on the fence about this one. On the one hand, the NFFC needs a playoff. But, on the other hand, I knew the rules when I signed up and the NFFC is still the best thing going despite this obvious shortcoming. I hate it....but I think throwing the game and effecting the outcome of my league may be my only real voice. Help! Jodicus, this is a fair debate about a 4-team h2h playoff in Weeks 12 and 13 vs. rewarding the two best Primetime teams through 13 weeks. We've had several threads on this subject already and we've asked this question in a survey to new members already. We can ask all current players that same question in our next survey and I'll gladly do that.

In your case, right now your team is 112th out of 360 teams overall in total points. You are 6-4 in your league (tied for 3rd with two other teams) and 3rd in total points, 70 points behind the second place team. The first place team is 8-2 but 5th in total points and the total points leader is 6-4, one game behind the 7-3 team who is second in total points. So you face an uphill battle, but heading into Week 11 you are definitely in the playoff hunt. You are two wins behind a team that has fewer points than you (no guarantee that team makes the playoffs) and 70 points out of a total points playoff spot. You're still in the mix both ways with three weeks to go.

In your proposed scenario of the regular season ending after Week 11, you are 1.05 points ahead of the 4th place team and 12.35 points ahead the 5th place team and thus still could face playoff elimination if you were outscored here. Then your season would be done after Week 11 even with four teams advancing to a h2h playoff format.

In these leagues which are so close, good teams don't make the top 2 or even top 4. It's hard to have the perfect scenario for everyone and in your case both scenarios could work in your favor and both could go against you. This week would determine that for you in both playoff scenarios.

Our goal has always been to reward the BEST TEAMS in each league. We believe a 13-week regular season does that, rewarding one h2h champ and then the total points teams. A one week playoff for most of the money seems to invite more of the luck factor than skill factor in our view, but again we may not be right. Maybe you are right that more of the luck factor would be better. I'll listen to the feedback from all of you and I appreciate it. Both playoff formats are great, but in the end we all want the BEST TEAMS to win the most money. That makes sense to all of us, right?

[ November 15, 2011, 02:19 PM: Message edited by: Greg Ambrosius ]
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

BillyWaz

Playoff System Protest

Post by BillyWaz » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:30 am

i also have been playing fantasy football for a very long time and a playoff system should be in every league. it gives more teams a chance towards the end of the year. it gives the team that started out slow but now is scoring a chance to make the playoffs with points. 4 team playoff means more teams in the hunt till the end.
4 teams in the hunt can also mean that the team who dominated has one bad week or plays the team who has a career week, and barely gets rewarded for their success ALL SEASON.

Add in the WCOFF (well was) and FFPC are only for 11 weeks, and this is a reason you stated you didn't like, as teams with slow starts do get 2 extra weeks to try and get in the playoffs.

Everytime I hear this "we need to get more teams in" mantra, it reminds me of Meet The Fockers.....

JACK BURNS: "I didn't realize they gave out 9th place ribbons"..

FOCKER'S DAD: Oh sure, they make them up to (can't remember 10th or 15th?) place".

If you want more teams in, the FFPC is the place to play (and for the record I like their game very much, with the exception of their playoff format and 11 week season), but if you want it so you are rewarded for your "body of work" over 13 weeks AND possibly more, the NFFC is the place to play.

liquidhippo

Playoff System Protest

Post by liquidhippo » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:00 am

Originally posted by Blue_Foot:
Well, my team won again this week and I am now 3rd in total points in my league and 4th in record. I cannot catch the points or the record for a Championship Points Chase birth. Bummer. But, I could still dramatically effect who makes the Championship Points Chase. I really think the NFFC needs a playoff system. Is it time to make a point about competition by throwing a key game? I have always tried hard in every game regardless of the quality of my team. But, I continue to be disappointed that the NFFC refuses to adopt a reasonable playoff system that better mirrors the actual sport that we all follow so closely. Opinions? Let me have it...I may deserve it...really on the fence about this one. On the one hand, the NFFC needs a playoff. But, on the other hand, I knew the rules when I signed up and the NFFC is still the best thing going despite this obvious shortcoming. I hate it....but I think throwing the game and effecting the outcome of my league may be my only real voice. Help!

thegambler

Playoff System Protest

Post by thegambler » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:29 am

Originally posted by BillyWaz:
quote:Originally posted by thegambler:

4 teams in the hunt can also mean that the team who dominated has one bad week or plays the team who has a career week, and barely gets rewarded for their success ALL SEASON.

Add in the WCOFF (well was) and FFPC are only for 11 weeks, and this is a reason you stated you didn't like, as teams with slow starts do get 2 extra weeks to try and get in the playoffs.

Everytime I hear this "we need to get more teams in" mantra, it reminds me of Meet The Fockers.....

JACK BURNS: "I didn't realize they gave out 9th place ribbons"..

FOCKER'S DAD: Oh sure, they make them up to (can't remember 10th or 15th?) place".

If you want more teams in, the FFPC is the place to play (and for the record I like their game very much, with the exception of their playoff format and 11 week season), but if you want it so you are rewarded for your "body of work" over 13 weeks AND possibly more, the NFFC is the place to play.
[/QUOTE]i want to play here. i will be playing here. just wanted to give my opinion on the playoff thing.

don't understand why adding more teams to the nffc is a bad thing. it brings in more money and bigger prizes along with a lot of dead money players. so the skilled guys will still win the majority of the time. you saying if i want more teams i should play over at the ffpc is a odd comment. so players here don't want/like more money :confused:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt43xtWe ... re=related

[ November 15, 2011, 02:31 PM: Message edited by: thegambler ]

mattjb

Playoff System Protest

Post by mattjb » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:31 am

players here want the best teams to win.

the whole premise of this thread is "I have the 4th best team but I want to win 1st place money"