$1300 Draft Champions League?

RedRyder

Post by RedRyder » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:11 pm

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
quote:Originally posted by RedRyder:
quote:Originally posted by Hard heads:
quote:Originally posted by Sandman62:
You could do TWO $850 DCs for $1700, which is "almost" like $1300?! Yes we could but I have always been an advocate of higher league payouts and don't play in formats anymore where money is taken from leagues and paid out to an overall champion. Just a personal preference and no disprespect meant towards that type of event or anyone playing in them. :D [/QUOTE]Craig, I voiced this opinion when it was announced there will be no individual DC leagues. It wouldn't be fair to say it fell on deaf ears, because an explanation was offered (they are trying to grow DCs), but i really dislike an overall contests for DCs!!!! Unfortunately, I really like DCs, thus I'm playing!
[/QUOTE]I understand this about wanting only higher league prizes and no national contests, and as Mark states below you're not the only one to voice this opinion to me Jules, but we feel that having national champions and larger payouts in these formats will grow the exposure for both formats. It would be easier and more profitable for us to do just individual leagues and not meet new guarantees across the board, but we've seen through the years that neither format has grown much with just league prizes. We hope the national format grows both spaces this year and every year going forward and if we're wrong for trying to grow this space then we'll find out from all of you.

We did hear the same thing in the NFBC, but I think the Auction Championship has been successful there. I really hope it's successful in the NFFC, but again we'll find out from all of you and it will dictate what we do in this area in the future.
[/QUOTE]So much for me being an ass kisser, huh? Where is the guy that posted that!!??

Look, the DC Overall contest will be a success because like me, many folks do like the format and will play in whatever is offered.

Personally, I think it could be marketed better. A lot of folks (non DCers) I just briefly mention the format to, they balk at it. They think there is no challenge without FAAB and that the season would be boring to watch. Break that myth and you would gain a bigger audience IMO.

[ June 26, 2010, 11:00 PM: Message edited by: RedRyder ]
@RedRyder

cdavault

Post by cdavault » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:24 pm

my first year playing DC's was last year and it is a great format. not only do you get to draft and compete you do not have to manage the day to day roster. for the people that are in multiple leagues this is a very nice way to compete without adding too much to the season feast .

[ June 26, 2010, 10:27 PM: Message edited by: Popcorn Maker ]

lumpy463

Post by lumpy463 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:30 pm

Hard heads,

Here is my arguement for DC and against Auction and Other Formats

If I make the "playoffs", I want to win my money back!
In the DC, even with the overall champion, if I place in the money, I get my entry fee back.
$900 for third place,

In any other league, Auction, Ultimate, etc., I got nothing to show for 4th, 5th, or 6th place unless I have best record or most points!
The bye week should be enough.
And even in 3rd place, I may not win my entry fee back.

That is why we avoid those formats like a plague.

In a 14 team league, give me a 1:5 chance of winning my money back and I will take that any day.
With the usual "dead money", I think those odds are closer to 1:3

With or without the "overall champion", there may not be any better odds than the DC if you are good.

Come to Vegas. Hope this convinces you to participate.
Would love to beat you.

Derek "Lumpy" Anderson
Derek "Lumpy" Anderson

cdavault

Post by cdavault » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:34 pm

good point if you are playing for 4th, 5th, 6th place.

Originally posted by Derek Anderson:
Hard heads,

Here is my arguement for DC and against Auction and Other Formats

If I make the "playoffs", I want to win my money back!
In the DC, even with the overall champion, if I place in the money, I get my entry fee back.
$900 for third place,

In any other league, Auction, Ultimate, etc., I got nothing to show for 4th, 5th, or 6th place unless I have best record or most points!
The bye week should be enough.
And even in 3rd place, I may not win my entry fee back.

That is why we avoid those formats like a plague.

In a 14 team league, give me a 1:5 chance of winning my money back and I will take that any day.
With the usual "dead money", I think those odds are closer to 1:3

With or without the "overall champion", there may not be any better odds than the DC if you are good.

Come to Vegas. Hope this convinces you to participate.
Would love to beat you.

Derek "Lumpy" Anderson

lumpy463

Post by lumpy463 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:45 pm

Not playing for 4th, 5th, or 6th place.
However that is the playoffs for most formats.
People hype how they finished in the "playoffs" every year as if that is a big freaking deal!
Means nothing without cash!

If I make the "playoffs", I want to win cash!

SO once again, DC wins out.

Derek "Lumpy" Anderson
Derek "Lumpy" Anderson

cdavault

Post by cdavault » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:51 pm

i gotcha. i tend to lean towards all or nothing but am adaptable

Old School

Post by Old School » Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:30 pm

Originally posted by Follow Me:
You could do TWO $850 DCs for $1700, which is "almost" like $1300?! Yes we could but I have always been an advocate of higher league payouts and don't play in formats anymore where money is taken from leagues and paid out to an overall champion. Just a personal preference and no disprespect meant towards that type of event or anyone playing in them. :D [/QUOTE]Craig, I voiced this opinion when it was announced there will be no individual DC leagues. It wouldn't be fair to say it fell on deaf ears, because an explanation was offered (they are trying to grow DCs), but i really dislike an overall contests for DCs!!!! Unfortunately, I really like DCs, thus I'm playing!
[/QUOTE]What she said, too. :(

Mark
Follow Me
[/QUOTE]Ditto. Ditto.

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:06 am

Here's my argument FOR DC, which this will be our first year in. We feel like we draft quality competitive teams every year in our leagues, but two things allow other teams to "get lucky" quite a bit:

1) Unlucky Start'em/Sit'em decisions
Many times, we start one of our RBs against an awful run D like OAK that everyone else has gone off against and our guy lays an egg. As long as your team has other quality players on it, DC will take care of it for you.

2) Poorly-drafted teams grab the best free agents
If after the first or second week, we're already starting to like our team, we're not inclined to throw darts at the wire for replacements because we don't feel we NEED to. OTOH, teams that didn't fare well at the draft are more desperate and realize that they HAVE to in order to save their season. So they throw hundreds of their FAAB dollars at unproven guys who got a few extra targets early in the season, and then those guys turn into Miles Austin, Mike Sims-Walker, or the year before's Lance Moore. Yes, I realize WE could go after them too; but as I said, if at that point, they're not doing any better than our other bench options AND our starters look good, why would we?

We're really looking forward to a DC this year to truly see how good a team we can draft.

[ June 27, 2010, 07:09 AM: Message edited by: Sandman62 ]

Getpaddled

Post by Getpaddled » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:00 am

#1) I agree 100%. You can make every "correct" move starting players vs. poor run and or pass D's and the guy more often than one thinks will lay an egg. This is one of the reasons I have trouble playing fantasy baseball. You start an OF against a 6+ E.R.A pitcher, over an OF player who isn't even starting. The next day the player not starting pinch hits a 3 run walk off HR and your starting OF goes 0-4 with a walk. You made the right move, but you still 2nd guess yourself which can lead to bad choices made later in the season that can cost you games.

2) agree 100% When I was [still am] a dead money type player I would get lucky and get guys like Terrell Davis & Isaac Bruce out of FA (before their first big year) and win/place in my league when I had no business doing so.

DC league is the way to go.....@ least for me.
I couldn't afford a DC league this year. Hopefully next year I can save up for a DC league

Greg Dietzler

[ June 27, 2010, 11:05 AM: Message edited by: Letter Pusher ]
Greg Dietzler AKA Letter Pusher
Fantasy Football Genius & FPA supporter
Twitter: @Getpaddled

mikeybok

Post by mikeybok » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:56 am

Originally posted by Old School:
quote:Originally posted by Follow Me:
[/QUOTE]What she said, too. :(

Mark
Follow Me
[/QUOTE]Ditto. Ditto.
[/QUOTE]Ditto the Ditto's
Hakuna Matata!