****** Top Five NFL Coaches of All Time ????

Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:50 am

I think some mention of Bill Cowher ought to be on this list. Everyone makes mention of Billy B's no name Pats, but I think an even more compelling arguement could be made for Cowher. For years and years he has consistently fielded a winner out of what could only be described as well coached over-achievers. Need proof? Every year the Steelers got raided for their "talent". How many of these players went on to greatness? Let's see...Neil O'Donnell, Yancy Thigpen, Kendrell Bell....zoiks! He also has the mentality of not overpaying to keep his stars once their careers wind down, thus the likes of Levon Kirkland, Dermontti Dawson, Jason Gildon, etc., left and were never heard from again. There were a few studs that got away...Rod Woodson, Leon Searcy and Hardy Nickerson come to mind, but they were few and far between.
Consider also the number of his coordinators that went on to head coaching gigs (largely unsuccessful ones) Dom Capers, Chan Gailey, Jim Haslett, Mike Mularkey, et al. Their bad careers as head coaches are a real testament to the fact that Cowher has run the show all these years. Years like the current one have been few and far between. When all is said and done, the Chin is a lock for the Hall.

Quahogs

Post by Quahogs » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:57 am

Originally posted by sportsbettingman:
88-63 career record so far, with a SUPERBOWL WIN...not bad.

Built the Raiders to the point of Superbowl caliber...and then BEAT them with the Bucs.

~Lance you can also say he beat the team HE built with a team built by SOMEONE else !

Q

D-Day Heroes

Post by D-Day Heroes » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:13 am

Excellent Point Hog-Man..! I live in Buccaneer Country, and Monday morning the whole Tampa Bay area finally woke up and realized what an imposter Gruden truly is. It all began when he ran Keyshawn out of town, made Key look like the Bad Guy, Now 9 out of 10 Bucs fans would take Key back for Gruden in a HeartBeat. He Sucks. Offensive Guru my crystal Balls. Hog is right on the $$$, the only reason he won the super bowl was 1 - Monty Kiffin and 2 - He had the Raiders play book, any other team in the super bowl would have spelled disaster for the Bucs. Now , you may disagree with that, but if you ever watch highlites of that game and the part where they mike up Lynch, you will clearly here Lynch say, " Its like we know what thier going to do before they do it " hmmm, wonder why...? last but not least, Gruden has taken a Feared Football Team and turned them into a laughing stock. If the Bucs were smart, They would make Monty Kiffin the Head Coach, The most under hyped Football mind in the Game.
" When you are in any contest you should work as if there were - to the very last minute - a chance to lose it. "
- Dwight D. Eisenhower

Quahogs

Post by Quahogs » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:17 pm

Originally posted by D-Day Heroes:
Excellent Point Hog-Man..! I live in Buccaneer Country, and Monday morning the whole Tampa Bay area finally woke up and realized what an imposter Gruden truly is. It all began when he ran Keyshawn out of town, made Key look like the Bad Guy, Now 9 out of 10 Bucs fans would take Key back for Gruden in a HeartBeat. He Sucks. Offensive Guru my crystal Balls. Hog is right on the $$$, the only reason he won the super bowl was 1 - Monty Kiffin and 2 - He had the Raiders play book, any other team in the super bowl would have spelled disaster for the Bucs. Now , you may disagree with that, but if you ever watch highlites of that game and the part where they mike up Lynch, you will clearly here Lynch say, " Its like we know what thier going to do before they do it " hmmm, wonder why...? last but not least, Gruden has taken a Feared Football Team and turned them into a laughing stock. If the Bucs were smart, They would make Monty Kiffin the Head Coach, The most under hyped Football mind in the Game. what ever happened with Griese ? I know he's not the be all end all but didn't he have some nice vertical history with Galloway and help them get into the playoffs ?? I recall him getting hurt but why didnt they make an effort to sign him ?

Q

D-Day Heroes

Post by D-Day Heroes » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:31 pm

.... Because Gruden SUCKS...Thats why. He ruined in 2 years, what Dungy and Kiffin took many years to create
" When you are in any contest you should work as if there were - to the very last minute - a chance to lose it. "
- Dwight D. Eisenhower

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:18 pm

Tampa Bay DEF was a big factor in their success...they got parted off and old...period.

~Lance

[ November 03, 2006, 12:20 AM: Message edited by: sportsbettingman ]
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver