Possible future change in Playoff round

wayne123

Post by wayne123 » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:40 am

A small advantage is fair...any more than it is now might ruin the concept.
I AM BLUE_FOOT.

Ted's Cracked Head

Post by Ted's Cracked Head » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:11 pm

I agree with Q,

The main premise of the event is that the elite teams make the playoffs or get a shot at the Big Money. They then battle for the prizes. To me this signals a whole new competition from that point on and I think that taking your average is fair and more than that could eliminate some of the fun and hope for those in the playoffs.
My mama says she loves me but she could be jiving too! BB King

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:18 pm

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
Greg - so many rules discussions take place every year that I'm not sure which ones are enacted. If I don't know, then there are likely others that donakt know. What harm is there with putting a link that summarizes any rule changes from the previous year? There's no problem with this idea at all and I definitely should do this going forward. I just thought you wanted me to include proposals that didn't get passed, like the idea to do 1.5 x regular season average or 2 or 3 x a team's average. We kept it at your regular season scoring average, so this was one topic that didn't need to get added anywhere.

I like the discussion on this thread, just like I enjoyed the discussion last year. I can see points for more points than we're giving now, less points and keeping it the same. Again, after seeing what happened last year and what is going on now, I personally like what we have in the rules now. It gives all playoff eligible teams a shot at the $100,000 grand prize.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:59 pm

I think that you are adding a free Main event entry for the overall leader after 13 weeks does help a lot Greg.

That gives the overall leader (Jules in this case-barring a MAJOR meltdown) a free entry into next year's Main and a MINIMUM of $2,500 in her pocket before she even starts Week 13.

That all being said, I still would be in favor of 2x your score going into the playoffs.

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:02 pm

Originally posted by Quahogs:
the way the NFFC playoff system is set up now is the NFL's equivalent of home field advantage throughout the playoffs. Just because a team goes 15-1 in the playoffs doesnt mean they're automatically going to the superbowl. The NFL playoffs are anybodys game with a slight edge going toward the team with the best record. Same goes for the NFFC - it's anybodys game now - with a slight edge to the team with the most points. I think 1.5 was discussed last season but never implemented. 3 seems a bit high.

Q Q,

I realize that the best team doesn't always win (I'm a Steelers fan and KNOW the Colts were a better team last year!), but we can't motivate, gameplan for our opponents, make substitutions if a starter goes down in the middle of the game, etc.

That is why it is called FANTASY football IMO.

The BEST team does deserve the $$$.

Quahogs

Post by Quahogs » Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:29 pm

bwaz, it's FANTASY football because we dont really own the players do we ? We're not REALLY the GM's employed by the teams. As per the RULES of the contest doesnt the best team win the 100k ?? Your goal is to accumulate either w's or pts to advance to the next level. The next step is to accumulate the most points in the next 3 weeks. There is a certain skill level involved in 1. drafting your team slanted toward wks13-16, 2. FAAB pickups geared toward 13-16, and 3. ultimately starting the right players for those same weeks. Those choices involve enough skill that shows me the team that outperforms during wks13-16 really is the best.

Q

BubbasHouse

Post by BubbasHouse » Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:54 pm

My vote would be to increase the factor - to 2x or even 3x. I think the point made using Jules as the example is very valid. Clearly the best team after 10 weeks (and possible after 13) - and the best team should have better than 1x average.

It's not like all qualifiers need to make up 13 weeks of point difference - they now have 3 weeks to make up what is in essence 1 week of difference. We all enter on day one on equal footing (sans draft slot and league makeup). A 2x or 3x differential has been EARNED by performance through 13 weeks - and the reward is very small at 1x.

It's as simple as this - team #52 should need to make up more than 15 points with $100K on the line. Even team #52 has a chance if they qualified - and only 45 point back with 3 weeks to go! This is a reward for a SEASON of performance.

So says Bubba........

D-Day Heroes

Post by D-Day Heroes » Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:44 pm

If Your the Best Team all Year, and you run out of Gas coming down the Stretch, Guess what, YOUR NOT THE BEST TEAM...!!! That must suck BTW, when a Nascar Driver leads 249 of 250 laps, and then runs out of gas. Was he the Best Car in the Race..? He Ran out of Gas. Should they " Re-adjust the order of finish, SPOT HIM 1 LAP and " Bump him Up " because he dominated the whole race..? If a heavy weight fighter beats the crap out of his opponent for 14 rounds and gets knocked-out in the 15th, should they award him the Belt because he dominated the fight..? Yeah it sucks to lose in the last lap , or last round, " Especially After Dominating the Event " But That's SPORTS, That's Gambling and that should be Fantasy Sports also...! Leave it as is....IMHO
" When you are in any contest you should work as if there were - to the very last minute - a chance to lose it. "
- Dwight D. Eisenhower

TradeStar28

Post by TradeStar28 » Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:47 pm

Greg,

Personally I think that the current system is perfectly fine. I would really dislike any change at all going forward.

If the Colts go 16-0 in regular season, and they lose in the 2nd week of playoffs....too bad.
2012 - FI$HER - Flying High Again

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:29 pm

Originally posted by BubbasHouse:
My vote would be to increase the factor - to 2x or even 3x. I think the point made using Jules as the example is very valid. Clearly the best team after 10 weeks (and possible after 13) - and the best team should have better than 1x average.
i agree with having it increased to 2X
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?