Greg Morgan Is Week 6 Classic Winner

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:45 am

In 2007, the Tom Brady-Randy Moss connection produced miracles. It resulted in an unbeaten regular season for the New England Patriots and it likely resulted in standout seasons for the fantasy owners who doubled up on the Patriots stars.

Before this season began, many were wondering if lightning was going to strike again. It took six weeks, but the thunder was finally heard.

Brady and Moss had a combined week for the ages last week and for Greg Morgan, that meant a banner day in the National Fantasy Football Classic event. With Brady (55 points) and Moss (38.9) leading the way Morgan’s team in Phone League 1 led the way in the Classic event with 226.70 points.

Ray Rice (36.4) and the Green Bay defense (23) also had strong weeks.

“A lot went right last week,” Morgan said. “Brady and Moss had a date with the Titans but they weren’t the only players who came through. Visanthe Shiancoe caught two TDs; Rice went off against the Vikings’ D and the Lions visited Lambeau Field.”

The end result not only propelled Morgan to the top of the Classic field for Week 6 but it helped better position his team in his league. He improved to 4-2 and second in his league in total points (the latter a key factor in determining which teams make the playoffs in the NFFC).

The Week 6 bonanza was a welcome sight especially considering Morgan wasn’t sure he was going to be able to compete in the event this year. But his schedule freed up at the last minute and he jumped back into the 14-team event.

“My Draft Day strategy was to nail down wide receivers first and then running backs unless Moss fell to me in the first and Brady was there in the second,” Morgan said. “Lo and behold, my first- and second-round targets were there for the first time in any high-stakes draft in years.

“Most years, it seems like someone always has the same strategy or the same targets as I do and I end up chasing to get caught up with the rest of the draft. Last year, I ended up with too many stud running backs, more than I could play, and my wide receivers didn’t produce, dragging my team down to mediocrity.

“This year, at least I have two solid wide receivers with Randy Moss and Chad Ochocinco. I also tried to land as many players with upside as possible, hence picks like James Davis, Ray Rice, Lee Evans and Cadillac Williams. Obviously, they’re not all going to work out but they don’t have to. That’s what the Waiver Wire is for.”

The 40-year-old Morgan is single and lives in central Ohio. He is an IT manager and network administrator for a small company north of Columbus.

For finishing first last week, Greg wins a free Fathead from Fathead.com. Fathead is the official sponsor of the 2009 NFFC Classic.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Gordon Gekko II

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:52 am

good job greg!