Draft Process: Are You In Favor Of A Change?

Nag'

Post by Nag' » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:14 am

Originally posted by Tested:
Your "average Joe" FF player who is debating whether to put up $1250 may not like this idea one bit, and it may in fact scare him (or her) away from the contest.This idea has been suggested and dismissed as "unfounded" by the BBDS pushers.
For Players. By Players.

Ted's Cracked Head

Post by Ted's Cracked Head » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:44 am

I think that those willing to put up 1250 will play with either of these innovations because they will understand that it has the chance ( or perception) to give them more say in what spot they get.

They will embrace this challange for it.
My mama says she loves me but she could be jiving too! BB King

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:46 am

Originally posted by JerseyPaul:
Average Joe playing a $1250 fantasy football game = oxymoron There are more than you think JP.

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:43 pm

It should be noted that this is a biased sampling, since it involves only those participating in the MF Forums

these poll results should not be considered a definitive opinion of the majority of people who might want to play in the NFFC. agreed. after the wcoff HOF "voting" debacle, i thought the nffc would know better. you can't have valid polls based on MB monikers. i seem to see new accounts set up everday. can people be voting numerous times, but under different names? of course.

[ October 25, 2005, 06:44 PM: Message edited by: Gordon Gekko ]
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:46 pm

Your "average Joe" FF player who is debating whether to put up $1250 may not like this idea one bit, and it may in fact scare him (or her) away from the contest. nah. from a gaming perspective, going with a 14 team league/18 man roster instead of a 12 team league/20 man roster is the biggest obstacle for newbies...

you have to know what you're doing in this league to have a chance to compete. in the wcoff, you don't have to be as good, as you can stockpile players and the talent isn't spread as thin. maybe the 14 team format is keeping folks away. greg, what was your owner retention % from last year.

[ October 25, 2005, 06:48 PM: Message edited by: Gordon Gekko ]

dgamblnman

Post by dgamblnman » Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:31 pm

Originally posted by Route C:
GG's proposals would make for good discussion but probably on another thread. I got the impression that Greg wanted this thread to address only draft slot selection. That won't stop people from pumping thier own agendas....

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:31 am

It should be noted that this is a biased sampling, since it involves only those participating in the MF Forums, and those individuals tend to be in favor of the more "time-consuming" aspects of Fantasy Football. Your "average Joe" FF player who is debating whether to put up $1250 may not like this idea one bit, and it may in fact scare him (or her) away from the contest.

I'm not saying that will happen, just that it might, so these poll results should not be considered a definitive opinion of the majority of people who might want to play in the NFFC. You're absolutely right, but since I sent this message to all NFFC owners via e-mail yesterday everyone has been alerted to the possible change. Some of those guys respond to me via e-mail rather than come online to vote as they're not even registered on the Message Boards, so I'm getting feedback in more ways than just the votes. Some guys have even called me to tell me how strongly they feel about this point. The same feedback is happening in the NFBC, where I'm asking for a change in the draft selection process as well.

This is definitely a small sample vote, but if the results come in overwhelming in one direction or another -- or even if it's a split vote -- that will give me a sense of direction I should take. I'm not going to force-feed a ruling to my valued customers if the majority doesn't want it. However, if it's an overwhelming vote for change, I'll consider it.

This is just the first step, but you're point is well taken.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:43 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
[QUOTE]greg, what was your owner retention % from last year. For baseball we had over 85% retention for the main event. For football, we had over 71% retention for the main event. There were definitely more people who gave it a "try" for one year in football and didn't have the funds to come back the second year. In baseball, many more of those guys draft without co-managers and are long-time players who I think will be back for years and years to come.

Could it be the 14-team format? Possibly, but we're committed to it. Heck, we have 15 teams in baseball and nobody is complaining. Could it be the added competition? Definitely, but football is also a much bigger market with more potential players. Could it be the draft selection process? I'm trying to find out.

All are factors, which is why I'm trying to survey the group. Maybe a more formal survey to my customers is needed to make sure that each year we're expanding new members while still keeping our valued members with us.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:24 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
Could it be the 14-team format? Possibly, but we're committed to it. Heck, we have 15 teams in baseball and nobody is complaining. Could it be the added competition? your baseball event doesn't have a similar high stakes event to compete with (actually it did, but you made the other event go away).

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
Maybe a more formal survey to my customers is needed to make sure that each year we're expanding new members while still keeping our valued members with us. honestly, any poll on the MB will not get you an accurate tally. i know for a fact that some people have many MB monikers. if you want your participants to decide which way to go on some key issues would any of these options be better than the MB poll?

send a document out (via mail) to all current owners that details the serious changes you are considering. they can fill out and send back to you.

create a single-page web interface in the STATS application where each and every current member can vote

you can have validated numbers from your participants, nut MB polls, IMO, are useless.

ultimatefs

Post by ultimatefs » Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:02 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
i know for a fact that some people have many MB monikers. How many do you have? :cool:
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.