Week 2 Preseason Thoughts

Gordon Gekko II

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:16 pm

PS - mikey turner just keeps on roll'n MF over. unbelievable

rkulaski

Post by rkulaski » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:21 pm

Yeah, I think D Brown will have a better year than Addai but in the 2 drafts I've done, Brown isn't going 2 rds later than Addai. More like 1 rd.

hammertime

Post by hammertime » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:36 pm

Where does Brandon Marshall end up? Orton looks pretty good against the Hawks, seems to like Royal

renman

Post by renman » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:54 am

While I agree Chad Johnson has potential to move back towards his productive seasons from the past I still have worries. I still think he is a clown. I still think he is mentally unstable (ie TO) and the second he runs into some advertisty during the regular season who knows what will happen. That team has imploded year after year (even before Palmer was hurt) and I think things like that happen for a reason when they are repeated. If you watch Hard Knocks on HBO you may get the sense his teamates think he is a clown too. That is the sense I get with his Twitter stuff and how distracted he is with self promotion.

B. Marshall is an interesting pick. Someone is going to get him way later than his skill level says he should go. Imagine getting him in the 5th round and then in the final pre season game he wakes up, makes nice with coaches, and has a big season?

-Turner has great burst and is tough to bring down.

-I expected Cassel to be a Scott mitchell type of bust but he at least looks to be functional.

-I sure would like to see Calvin Johnson play.

-I am not sure Roy Williams will be anything more than a possession receiver.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:04 am

My thoughts on the Packers-Bills:

The Packers continue to look very good on both sides of the ball. Defensively, they've faced two terrible offenses (Cleveland and Buffalo) so that has to be factored into the equation, but there's no question the switch to the 3-4 is working well so far. Green Bay was one of the best defenses in the league last season in terms of forcing turnovers and that hasn't changed. That bodes well for the Packers' fantasy potential.

Offensively, the Packers are really clicking. I've been pimping Ryan Grant for months and he's making me look real good so far. I posted last night on Twitter that if you go WR-WR and grab Grant in the third round you'll have a very nice start to your draft. I'll also say again - do not sleep on Donald Driver this year. Just don't. The Packers may have also found a TE worth considering as a backup in larger leagues in Finley. He's been impressive so far.

As for Buffalo, it's just a mess. The Bills' offensive line has major issues, Trent Edwards isn't very good and Marshawn Lynch looks lifeless. Not having Owens last night was a factor but I don't see TO raising that team's potential by himself at this stage of his career. Right now, the only Bill I'm remotely interested in at their current ADP is Fred Jackson. The rest of them look to be overpriced - especially Lynch and Lee Evans.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:44 pm

I was at last night's game at Lambeau Field and I will say that I was impressed with the Packers on both sides of the ball. I know it's only preseason, but damn Rodgers looked sharp and he looked VERY confident in the pocket. This TD pass to Jennings was too easy and his sideline fade pass to Driver was a thing of beauty. Grant looks much improved and stronger, and the sleeper pick here is definitely TE Jermichael Finley. It's like night and day for this guy compared to last year. He is a very big target who looks like a very athletic runner in the open field.

Defensively, they are blitzing often and really making things happen with that 3-4. In passing downs, they have two down linemen and Kampman and Popinga are on the ends in the upright position. It's pretty interesting.

I like what the Bills are trying to do offensively with the hurry-up offense. QB Trent Edwards just has to get rid of the ball quicker and make quicker decisions on his reads. He held onto the ball way too long and the rushing game looked weak. Marshawn Lynch didn't have much room to run but I thought Fred Jackson and even Dominic Rhodes ran better.

It's always fun at Lambeau and even more fun when you have your kids there for the first time. NOTHING beats that first time experience at an NFL game and the smiles are still on their faces tonight. Oh, so is the eye black, the Driver jerseys, the wrist bands, etc....... :D
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Gordon Gekko II

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:50 pm

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
and the sleeper pick here is definitely TE Jermichael Finley. greg - i couldn't see the game. who was the starter, lee or finley?

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:02 pm

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko II:
quote:Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
and the sleeper pick here is definitely TE Jermichael Finley. greg - i couldn't see the game. who was the starter, lee or finley? [/QUOTE]Lee was the starter and maybe they did that because they announced the offensive starters before the game. Finley is there for blocking purposes and a few short yardage curls. But they like to use Finley in the flats or in crossing patterns and he's such a big target that he's definitely going to be a Red Zone play.

They drafted him in the third round last year out of Texas A&M and he was just 21 with two years of college football under his belt. He was VERY raw last year, but I think he has a chance to be a talent now. He really worked hard this offseason and they said he grew up in a big way. You can see it. Keep an eye on this kid.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:10 pm

Come on, who else went to an NFL game this weekend? And what did you see that you can share with the audience? ;) Let's see some tidbits that won't give too much away here. We're all willing to share tonight.