Is This Lockout Going To Affect Your Fantasy Football Interest?

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Thu May 19, 2011 2:47 am

Originally posted by 76erfan:
quote:Originally posted by Glenneration X:
quote:Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
So here's the obvious question: How has the current lockout affected your interest in fantasy football this year? And even more importantly, how will a prolonged lockout affect your interest in high-stakes fantasy football this year?
Like Wayne, the lockout while annoying hasn't affected my interest yet at all. I've also already been part of a number of drafts this season, having completed both the Trendsetters and Genesis drafts and currently drafting for two Dynasty leagues, one an independent startup. I've enjoyed or am enjoying all of them. In fact, I've probably focused as much or more on my current football drafting than my baseball teams which are actually playing games right now!

It remains to be seen if my interest fades if the lockout extends into July or August, never been through this before while playing fantasy. Even if my interest remains just as strong, the ability to finalize plans is going to be a bigger hurdle the longer the lockout continues.

That said Greg, I believe most of your hardcore players, those like myself who frequent the boards and draft even now in mid-May, will do whatever it takes to make last minute plans and rearrange schedules to be a part of the NFFC no matter when the lockout ends. We're just too addicted. The worry has to be about the marginal player, who takes one Main Event team or one Primetime or plays a couple satellites. I can see that type of player writing off the fantasy football season if the lockout extends too far into training camp. I don't necessarily see them making the efforts necessary to adjust last minute plans. That player will be the issue for the high stakes contests.
[/QUOTE]keep focusing on football Glenn and ignore the AC auction baseball league so the 2nd place team can catch you:)
[/QUOTE]Andy, is that you in 2nd? Sorry, didn't notice. I'm a little near sighted and everything gets blurry that far back. ;)

Just kidding Bud, a lot of season to go and should be a battle. Good luck the rest of the way.

Syracuse Slappers

Post by Syracuse Slappers » Thu May 19, 2011 8:26 am

I think the problem is going to arrive the later we get into the summer...especially with guys that travel to Vegas.....Flights aren't getting any cheaper and I can see some people forgoing the trip to Vegas for drafting on line if we get into late July/August without any resolution. I, for one, know that if I have to pay any more than $500 for a flight, I'm not going...I'd rather dump that money into another league, so I guess what I'm saying is the live events could very well suffer although the overall numbers might not.
Did that make any sense whatsoever?

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu May 19, 2011 8:30 am

Originally posted by Syracuse Slappers:
I think the problem is going to arrive the later we get into the summer...especially with guys that travel to Vegas.....Flights aren't getting any cheaper and I can see some people forgoing the trip to Vegas for drafting on line if we get into late July/August without any resolution. I, for one, know that if I have to pay any more than $500 for a flight, I'm not going...I'd rather dump that money into another league, so I guess what I'm saying is the live events could very well suffer although the overall numbers might not.
Did that make any sense whatsoever? I totally agree. As King of Queens said earlier, most prices go up when you get inside 21 days out. Right now flights aren't cheap to Las Vegas anyway, but if they go up $200 or more between now and the end of this lockout it will be tough for folks to make the trip. But hopefully they will hold somewhat steady and hopefully the NFL and NFLPA will reach a resolution by mid July to give all of us the time needed to lock down the best two weekends of the year in Las Vegas. 110 degrees, football drafts on Labor Day weekend, more 110 degree days by the pool and football drafts before NFL games that you can bet on in Las Vegas during Week 1. It doesn't get any better than that.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Thu May 19, 2011 8:31 am

Originally posted by Syracuse Slappers:
Did that make any sense whatsoever? Yes it does and it's definitely something that we have thought about as well. The longer this goes on the more potential impact it will have on our Live Events. There's no getting around that unfortunately.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Thu May 19, 2011 9:11 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
quote:Originally posted by Syracuse Slappers:
Did that make any sense whatsoever? I totally agree. As King of Queens said earlier, most prices go up when you get inside 21 days out. Right now flights aren't cheap to Las Vegas anyway, but if they go up $200 or more between now and the end of this lockout it will be tough for folks to make the trip..
[/QUOTE]Actually, flights to Vegas that "opening NFL weekend" out of Richmond are only $301 right now, which I feel is VERY reasonable.

The catch is...... do I book the flight and HOPE I don't have to pay the extra $150 to change my flight (what a friggin scam that is!!), or bank on that the flights won't go as high as $450 by the time I KNOW there will be a season??

And no.....Southwest DOES NOT fly out of Richmond. ;)

As for the question of the thread, I have to say it IS affecting my interest.

I mean seriously, by now I would normally have my plans completely set, know exactly what leagues I was playing in (and signed up too!), and be starting to work on serious projections.

However, with free agency in limbo, WHY would I start doing serious projections now?

Maybe my interest is still there, but my frustration level listening to how these morons have NO INTEREST in negotiating/finding a resolution to this mess has me somewhat "depressed" when it comes to this fantasy season. :(

[ May 19, 2011, 03:13 PM: Message edited by: BillyWaz ]

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu May 19, 2011 9:25 am

Billy, I think you said you gave up on baseball after the last MLB strike. Let's hope the NFL doesn't do the same thing to their dedicated fan base with this lockout. Remember, fantasy baseball was king in 1994, but MLB killed the end of the '94 season and the start of the '95 season (they settled in April and the season started three weeks late). By then fantasy football had surpassed baseball in popularity and there was no turning back. The only thing that could change that is a lost fantasy football season in 2011.

Let's hope that the NFL doesn't kill this golden goose and push fans like you away from this great hobby.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Thu May 19, 2011 9:37 am

While I would obviously be pissed if there was no season, I (like Tom) would be back. However, my season tickets to the Redskins would most likely be no more.

Baseball is just so damn boring.....nothing like waking up on a Sunday morning and getting fired up for what lies ahead! :D

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu May 19, 2011 9:57 am

Originally posted by BillyWaz:
While I would obviously be pissed if there was no season, I (like Tom) would be back. However, my season tickets to the Redskins would most likely be no more.

Baseball is just so damn boring.....nothing like waking up on a Sunday morning and getting fired up for what lies ahead! :D Billy, daily boxscores every day for six straight months is not boring!! ;) 15 games almost every night with Live Scoring, Live Standings and more surprises than you'll ever imagine is not boring. The game can be somewhat boring at times, but the fantasy baseball season is not boring. Still, you are right, there's no equivalent to that Sunday rush when every game MATTERS. Nothing beats the NFL or fantasy football for pure excitement.