Owen Daniels

3INTBOY

Owen Daniels

Post by 3INTBOY » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:59 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko II:
I don’t think I made any skill/luck jabs on this thread. What I’m saying is Daniels was a 7th rounder!! If an owner can’t sidestep a landmine in the 7th round, he/she probably isn’t meant to win significant money, right? Heck, all these players were drafted on average in the 7th round BEFORE Daniels: Torry Holt, LenDale White, Julius Jones, Chris Henry. You mean to tell me all those owners are DOA? By comparison, the Anthony Gonzalez injury was much more devastating to his owners. He was a 3rd rounder and most owners kept him around thinking he’d be back in Week 7. At least Daniels owners can cut the dude (yes, I said dude) this Friday. Good luck! I don't think you did either. if that means anything.

As for Daniels, I don't think you can argue "he's a 7th rounder" because he's likely the 1st TE teams took, so he was their starter and a damn fine one. It's different than losing your first round RB or WR because in the 10th/11th someone may have backed Daniels up with Zach Miller or Bo Scaife. Where they would have selected another highly ranked/high production expectation RB/WR much earlier.

3'

BTW: This SHOULD lead to Kevin Walter being released from the WR witness protection plan...

[ November 02, 2009, 08:01 AM: Message edited by: 3intboyBFD ]

Gordon Gekko II

Owen Daniels

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:00 am

Originally posted by GOD Loves You:
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/delusional is this for your "Calvin Johnson is the #1WR in 2009" speculation?

Gordon Gekko II

Owen Daniels

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:10 am

When owners sit down for the draft, they each decide how valuable every player is. In the minds of most NFFC’ers, Daniels was a 7th rounder.

In other words, based on NFFC scoring, NFFC owners thought there were at least 85 other players who had more value. This analysis, of course, includes him being a TE.

Again, the news stinks for Daniels owners, but he shouldn’t have been counted on as a core foundation to your team. Not if you were taking him in the 7th round. Like Lou said, hopefully Daniels owners, backed him up with a Carlson, Miller, Celek, etc…

BillyWaz

Owen Daniels

Post by BillyWaz » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:12 am

I agree with Lou, Mark.

Think of it like this in baseball. You take your first catcher in the 7th round. He is now gone for the year. Will he be easy to replace???

HELL NO.

Position scarcity, and there isn't JACK for TE's out there (rarely is on the waiver wire). Losing your TE (a great one like Daniels) that you took in round 7 is comparable to losing your RB or WR that you took in round 3 or 4.

I know your stance is that this is mostly luck, so I won't get into that. However comparing a person's TE (who gave them a BIG advantage over others) cannot be compared to LenDale White, and the other garbage you listed as round 7 guys.

C'mon, you know better than that. :D

Gordon Gekko II

Owen Daniels

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:24 am

I never said he’d be easy to replace, just that people thought there were at least 85 players more valuable than Daniels. This FACT includes Daniels as a TE and includes positional scarcity. If people thought Daniels was more valuable, they would have drafted him sooner. Plain and simple. Now all the arm chair QB’s are chiming in saying he was really a 3rd or 4th round pick. Please.

Fred Davis would have been a good fill-in for a few weeks. Astute owners (like Lou) probably picked him up last week, right Lou? ;)

BillyWaz

Owen Daniels

Post by BillyWaz » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:28 am

Nobody is saying he is a 3rd or 4th rounder, but he certainly was producing like one.

"It's far worse to have something and lose it than to never have it at all". ;)

Also, why would ANYONE take a player in round 4, when they KNOW they can get him in round 7??? :confused: It doesn't mean they have him "valued" as a 7th rounder just because they took him there.

You know that from baseball, Mark. ;)

[ November 02, 2009, 08:29 AM: Message edited by: BillyWaz ]

renman

Owen Daniels

Post by renman » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:29 am

I understand the point Gekko is making. However, fantasy football is all about what a players value is NOW going into the next week.

If the draft took place NOW, Daniels would likely go in the 3rd round of most draft or early 4th.

So yesterday, many teams lost a player with 3rd round value. That is a big hit at a position that provides only 10-12 truly dependable players. Since every one of those 10-12 players is already rostered, it makes the loss of Daniels even bigger.

I agree with Gekko that losing a players that was drafted in the 7th round back in September should be something owners with strong teams can manage around... but I also agree with those who feel this is a massive hit to their teams.

Gordon Gekko II

Owen Daniels

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:33 am

Billy – So many baseball acknowledgements!!! You are seeing the light!!! You (as well as I) lost Doumit for many months this year. Was it tough to replace what we thought he’d do. Sure. Did it DOOM our teams? Of course not. Now stop being so silly.

BillyWaz

Owen Daniels

Post by BillyWaz » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:40 am

In baseball you start 23 players each week.

In football you start 10.

Obviously losing a quality football player is MUCH more devastating than in baseball. Are Daniel's owners doomed....hopefully not. However, it is a MUCH bigger hit than losing ANYONE in baseball. As you know I lost Reyes (my first rounder) for the majority of the year, but I still won my league. I'm sure Daniel's owners can overcome, but it certainly is much more difficult.

You know better than that, so YOU stop being silly! ;)

Quahogs

Owen Daniels

Post by Quahogs » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:52 am

needed to ease the Daniels loss

needed to ease the Gonzalez loss