Hey Mock Drafters, Where You From? Hammer You Homeless? :)

JerseyPaul

Post by JerseyPaul » Fri Jul 02, 2004 8:47 am

It's possible he'll have some trade potential with his QBs...Hmmm. Just for the record, Tom, there's no trading in this league.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Fri Jul 02, 2004 8:58 am

LOL. Damn, I was thinking normal fantasy rules, not NFFC rules. We're working on three fantasy football magazines this week and my brain's a little fried. But you're obviously correct. I'll go back and re-edit the appropriate comments.

[ July 02, 2004, 03:07 PM: Message edited by: Tom Kessenich ]
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Dyv

Post by Dyv » Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:52 am

WTF? Dissing McCardell?

He's pulling the standard veteran crap to miss two-a-days, then he's in for a big year... just throw him the damn ball!

Thanks for the review, Tom - it's not easy crafting an evaluation of real people. You did a good job.

For my part - QB's and WR juggling will be a major part of success... but I'm pleased with the draft. If Quentin gets the Denver starting job I'll wish we could go 4 RB starters ;)

Dave
The Wonderful thing about Dyv's is I'm the only one!

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:09 am

My concern with McCardell is he was never as good before as he was last season. Given his age, that leads me to think it was a fluke season. I think he's a solid WR, but I'm not sold on him being a great one.

And as far as his holdout, well let's just say being a holdout on a team that's stockpiling WRs might not be the smartest thing an older WR should be doing right about now. ;)
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:24 am

Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
You're a gambler, Gordon. Thanks Tom.

p.s. I didn't like Barto's team either.
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Fri Jul 02, 2004 11:00 am

Thanks for the Critique Tom. I'm also betting that Anotoine Smith signs with a team and gets respectable carries. It's much easier to take a gamble on Suggs and Smith when there's nomoney involved...lol
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

TradeStar28

Post by TradeStar28 » Fri Jul 02, 2004 11:57 am

Thanx for the breakdown!

As far as my 18th round pick of Chris Chandler - it was supposed to be Martin Gramatica in that spot but either the pre-draft messed up or someone actually took him.

The one pivot spot from my draft is taking Bulger in the 3rd round over some hot commodity type of WR's. Guys like Bouldin, Mason, etc. I took in consideration that in this league, the QB gets 6 pts per TD pass so I guy like Bulger has some nice people to throw to (Holt, Bruce, Faulk, even Looker). If I was to redraft I mighta waited on the QB until a little later and stock piled the RB's and WR's more.

All in all I felt it was a good tune up. I havent done anything with fantasy football for a long while so now that its July, we are coming towards the back stretch. I am sure for the next 8-9 weeks, we will see some big changes in regard to the rosters and starters of some teams out there.

Good luck to all.
2012 - FI$HER - Flying High Again

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Fri Jul 02, 2004 12:00 pm

Any of the people not named Vegas and JerseyPaul care to comment on my mock draft? All comments appreciated. Thanks.
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:17 pm

The one pivot spot from my draft is taking Bulger in the 3rd round over some hot commodity type of WR's. Guys like Bouldin, Mason, etc. I took in consideration that in this league, the QB gets 6 pts per TD pass so I guy like Bulger has some nice people to throw to (Holt, Bruce, Faulk, even Looker). If I was to redraft I mighta waited on the QB until a little later and stock piled the RB's and WR's more.Greg and I were both interested to see if the 6-point/passing TD rule would stem the RB frenzy you see typically in fantasy drafts. I can't speak for Greg, but I was a little surprised that it didn't. Maybe it's a case of old habits being hard to break or maybe with a flex spot that allows for potentially 3 starting RBs, that position was at such a premium, not even adding more points for TD passes is going to alter the RB-heavy strategy most people employ in the early rounds.

It'll be interesting to see how this unfolds once the leagues kick off for real and we see the strategies used by the teams that finish strong and the team that ultimately wins the championship.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Dyv

Post by Dyv » Fri Jul 02, 2004 5:29 pm

Conceivably it's a case of not wanting to provide strategy to future opponents... I drafted a solid draft and a competitive team with reasonable gambles - but I hope nobody can base my Vegas draft in September on what I did in the mag either ;)

Dave
The Wonderful thing about Dyv's is I'm the only one!