Peyton Manning: Will He Be Ready For The Opener?

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:20 am

Originally posted by Shrink Attack:
Manning is truly one of the all-time greats and one of the most likeable players around. NFL players have the utmost respect for him, and most fans want him to heal up quickly and successfully return to the game. You can count me among them.

On the other hand, there are plenty of people who would like to see the Colts face plant this year. When a team is dominant for so long, there's a certain satisfaction in seeing them struggle, get pasted a few times, and have a taste of their own medicine. (Sorry, Wayne!)

I'm still bitter about that game in 2009 when the Colts pulled Manning in the 3rd quarter while dominating the Jets. Not only did they sacrifice the chance for history and a perfect season, but they essentially threw the game (Painter hasn't changed one iota), artificially distorting and perverting the AFC playoff race that year. To Manning's credit, he was obviously pissed about being pulled, standing on the sideline stone-faced while the Colt offense looked like a Pee Wee football squad---not unlike the current preseason.

I remember becoming a "Colt Hater" (but NOT a Manning hater) after that game. The Colts ended up losing the Super Bowl that year, but that wasn't enough for me. Maybe this is the final payback.

Same way with the Patriots. I really like Tom Brady a lot, but I wouldn't mind seeing the Patriots (and Belichick) being stepped on and taken down a few notches. Looks like someone is a closet Steeler fan! ;)

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:28 am

Manning has dropped as far as 63rd overall in NFFC drafts. That's a shocking tumble and clearly reflects the concern about his neck injury. Chris Mortensen has said it's uncertain if Manning will be ready. Jim Irsay has said the team has to prepare as if he won't be able to play. Like Brett Favre, you simply don't bet against Peyton when it comes to getting on the field. But there's no question this has become a major concern at this point.

Should Manning miss any time that would obviously be a gigantic downgrade for all of Indy's skill-position players. Painter has looked dreadful so far in the preseason and does not appear remotely close to being an NFL starting QB.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich