Classless act or good strategy??

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Sat Nov 13, 2004 5:17 am

Good move, defense can be just effective as offense. Secondly, you take the risk of leaving yourself with just $3 you gotta live with the consequences.

Walla Walla

Post by Walla Walla » Sat Nov 13, 2004 7:21 am

Many here are missing the point. A good strategy would be a team needing to win dropping a player to take a good player away from the team the play.

Classless act a team already out of it dropping four players he could have dropped weeks ago to get bottom feeder players to beat one team even though he has no chance of winning. :rolleyes: :( :( :( :(

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Sat Nov 13, 2004 7:56 am

Bottom line is that it is HIS $1,250 he put up for this contest, and he isn't breaking any rules.

Maybe Nag pi$$ed him off earlier in the season, with some "smack talk" and it is "payback time"?

When reading the post I didn't realize he was out of contention, but maybe he just wants to try to end the season on a positive note, and figures a win will get him going in that direction?

CC's Desperados

Post by CC's Desperados » Sat Nov 13, 2004 8:00 am

Now John, are you listening to yourself? So we can play a little defense, just not the shut down kind. Are we holding hands here? Is this owner surrendering? Should we feel sorry for the guy with no QB? So you want him to be a dead team? Or he shouldn't play hard against me. The object of this game is to win and try to get the most points as possible. He has tried his best on half of the equation.

JerseyPaul

Post by JerseyPaul » Sat Nov 13, 2004 8:18 am

Great point CC.

All the posts whining about dead teams. Here's a guy going for the jugular and now there's whining that he's playing too hard.

Sorry, it's NEVER wrong when you do everything possible within the rules to win.

Here's one you guys would really hate... This is probably not going to happen but it could...

Say you are 2nd in points and 2 games out with 1 to go. You are playing the team with best points (1 game behind) and if he wins and best record loses, he moves into 1st and you can get into the playoffs with next best points. You have to lay down enough to have best points win while still getting enough points to be 2nd in points. You have to lose to win.

Tell you what.... I MIGHT get to that spot but I play best points in week 12, not week 13. If it was week 13 it would be a no brainer and correct gamesmanship to lay down.

Nag'

Post by Nag' » Sat Nov 13, 2004 9:39 am

Thanks for the input guys.

To answer some of your comments/questions:
He dropped borderline "bums" - TJ.Housmewhatever, LJ.Smith, Dallas D and some other nobody.
No, I didn't pi$$ him off earlier. I've never talked to him the entire season.
I feel I had good reasons to have left myself with only $3. Plus I would've never suspected this type of move against me. If any of you would have seen it coming, you're a better owner than I am.

I don't know his true motivation for doing this since he hasn't responded to my post on our League boards, but I'm assuming he thinks he still has a good chance at one of the top 3 spots, even though he is NINTH in points. Regardless of his motivation, I believe it was a classless move and would never stoop to this level myself. Yes, "blocking" is a sound strategy in situations where you prevent teams from picking up valuable players. All of us use that strategy whenever we can. But there's a difference between picking up the BEST available players and ALL the available players. What this guy did is malicious and mean spirited. Those of you who agree with this strategy need to remember words like sportsmanship and fair play. Those values should always remain in competition whether we pay $1,250 or $.12.
For Players. By Players.

CC's Desperados

Post by CC's Desperados » Sat Nov 13, 2004 9:58 am

Are we playing for a $100,000? Are you ahead of him in points? You made a mistake of not being prepared and under estimating your opponent. I'd also bet he plays the wrong QB now and you beat him anyway. Good Luck

richieprimo

Post by richieprimo » Sat Nov 13, 2004 10:24 am

Originally posted by JerseyPaul:
Sorry, it's NEVER wrong when you do everything possible within the rules to win.

Here's one you guys would really hate... This is probably not going to happen but it could...

Say you are 2nd in points and 2 games out with 1 to go. You are playing the team with best points (1 game behind) and if he wins and best record loses, he moves into 1st and you can get into the playoffs with next best points. You have to lay down enough to have best points win while still getting enough points to be 2nd in points. You have to lose to win.

Tell you what.... I MIGHT get to that spot but I play best points in week 12, not week 13. If it was week 13 it would be a no brainer and correct gamesmanship to lay down. Great point, JP. But as I said previously, how can you justify someone having FOUR players to throw away at this point in time? I'm a mediocre 4-5 and I wouldn't resort to claiming 4 QB's in a "blocking" move unless it would directly affect my chance to win a playoff spot. It's within the rules, so good for him, but he should have dropped the garbage when it really mattered. This stuff is great for my novice-ass, as I'm taking notes for next year, at which point I plan to contend in this league. Good luck to all the winning teams and I'm looking forward to meeting you guys personally in New York come September. I'll be the Soprano-looking character that you'll see in the hallway smoking a cigarette every ten minutes. Stop by and say hello and I'll buy you all a drink. Hell, if Tom and Greg don't supply any food, I may bring some famous Primo Hoagies up to the draft. ;)
Paying Top Dollar For All 12 and 10 cent Superhero Comics. Send PM...You may have money packed in your garage or attic.

JerseyPaul

Post by JerseyPaul » Sat Nov 13, 2004 10:51 am

Primo, give no quarter, ask for no quarter.

Take care of business. Plan ahead. Know your opponents' rosters like your own.

Nobody manages your team except for you. If you get in a position where you can dictate how the other guy plays, you own him.

With all that, this game is mostly luck. But the best luck goes to the prepared.

lichtman

Post by lichtman » Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:00 pm

I think the title of this thread should be, "Smart Move or BRILLIANT MOVE".

As long as he didn't drop any player that would raise an eyebrow (and it does not appear to be the case) I don't think there can be any complaints.

I would rank this as strategy move of the year, other than Gekko's strategy in the satellite league of consistently outbidding me by single-digits for the players I want each week.
Hello. My name is Lee Scoresby. I come from Texas, like flying hot-air balloons, being eaten by talking polar bears and fantasy football.