Unbelieveable

ultimatefs

Unbelieveable

Post by ultimatefs » Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:22 am

Originally posted by renman:

what percentage of season success in fantasy football is directly a result of great drafting... and what percentage is a result of managing your team and free agents well? 35-65

I have never seen any fantasy champion that has FA signings in its league win w/o making a significant FA move. The draft at best, takes everyone from equal status to someone that has a 20% better chance of winning.

Of course, "equal status" can very easily be debated in this event :D
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.

renman

Unbelieveable

Post by renman » Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:42 am

UFS...

interesting points.. i would see it different...

in a league like the nffc.. where so little talent is left on the free agent wire... only one team will hit the jackpot with a droughns and for them to REALLY win everything with the help of that fortunate pickup, they will have had to put together a strong team in the draft.. or gotten very lucky elsewhere...

i think its closer to 75% of your success is directly related to the kind of team you put together in the draft... and 25% is good free agent pickups and making good moves in terms of managing your lineup regarding matchups...

King of Queens

Unbelieveable

Post by King of Queens » Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:50 am

To me, it's more like 60% draft, 20% pickups, 20% roster management.

The size of the league is critical here -- there are no 2nd string RBs sitting on the wire in almost any NFFC league. Droughns was the 3rd option in Denver last year, and came out of nowhere to shine. That'll happen MAYBE once or twice a year.

ultimatefs

Unbelieveable

Post by ultimatefs » Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:54 am

Originally posted by renman:
UFS...

interesting points.. i would see it different...

in a league like the nffc.. where so little talent is left on the free agent wire... only one team will hit the jackpot with a droughns and for them to REALLY win everything with the help of that fortunate pickup, they will have had to put together a strong team in the draft.. or gotten very lucky elsewhere...

i think its closer to 75% of your success is directly related to the kind of team you put together in the draft... and 25% is good free agent pickups and making good moves in terms of managing your lineup regarding matchups... that 75% you see is the team that gets lucky and has little or no major injuries. For that team, it probably is 75%.

And for those that are steadfast at it being 75% come hell or high water, I can only tell you that your in season management skills are weak.

You will see plenty of FA's picked up each and every week. For every Droughns, there are many more subtle bye week moves that add up to be important also. Those possible 10 extra points per week could possibly windup being 2-3 extra wins.

For sure to win this thing, it'll take a strong draft, strong FAAB pickups, strong lineup moves, and a little injury luck. As it should be.
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.

kjduke

Unbelieveable

Post by kjduke » Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:32 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
KoQ...
NFBC J.Thome and K.Foulke = worthless 2005 scumbags

NFFC J.Walker and ??? = worthless 2005 scumbags I had Walker in the other Vegas DC, too bad you weren't in my lge, I would've let you have him.

Thome ... should've known better unless you got him late.

Gordon Gekko

Unbelieveable

Post by Gordon Gekko » Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:34 am

Originally posted by KJ Duke:
Thome ... should've known better unless you got him late. should have known better. how many YEARS IN A ROW has he hit 35 hr's or more coming into this season? going into the season, i expected a 2-3 week stint on the DL.
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

kjduke

Unbelieveable

Post by kjduke » Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:50 am

quote:Originally posted by KJ Duke:
Thome ... should've known better unless you got him late. should have known better. how many YEARS IN A ROW has he hit 35 hr's or more coming into this season? going into the season, i expected a 2-3 week stint on the DL. [/QUOTE]... guys like him, with their all out style and playing thru injuries that never go away, BIG risk at his age; I had him down to miss about 10 weeks - I got burned with the younger version (Rolen) this year in the NL, and I even hesitated with him ... no way I'd play with fire with the older guys - Thome/ Bagwell etc

TOM ROSSI

Unbelieveable

Post by TOM ROSSI » Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:51 am

Last year I lost Steve Smith in the first game of the season in both the Draft Champions league and the Gekko Invite league. This year I lose J.Walker in you guessed it...both the Draft Champions league and the Gekko Invite league! :mad: WTF :mad: I feel you pain/anger GG, last year it was S. Smith, C. Rogers and McAllister for me (which was too much to overcome in the first couple weeks) now I lose Walker this year.

If there is a positive to this situation at least it happened the first week so maybe someone will come available via FA that will help fill in. Also, losing Walker and knowing he is gone for the year is much better than say drafting Barlow with a late 1st early 2nd round pick last year and starting him for x amount of weeks and getting fullback numbers from him.

For all the other J. Walker owners:
Football is a violent sport and injuries happen every year, none of us complain when someone else’s starter goes down and we are the beneficiaries of that injury, so we just have to deal with it

Does losing Walker Suck?....absolutely
Should we pack it in?…No way there’s too much time left
Can you still win your division? Sure, but more emphasis will be placed on FA and roster management now.

Think of it as getting pockets ACES cracked…there is always another hand to come so make the best of it. Good luck on the WW

By the way, Congrats on last year GG

Ted's Cracked Head

Unbelieveable

Post by Ted's Cracked Head » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:05 am

if i make donations two years in a row in any league, i'm forced to move on. nature of business... Let the countdown begin!
My mama says she loves me but she could be jiving too! BB King

Gordon Gekko

Unbelieveable

Post by Gordon Gekko » Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:47 pm

Originally posted by BIGT:
I feel you pain/anger GG, last year it was S. Smith, C. Rogers and McAllister for me (which was too much to overcome in the first couple weeks) now I lose Walker this year.

sorry to hear that bigt. they gotta keep beatin us down don't they
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?