Ethics Question

gomizzouman

Ethics Question

Post by gomizzouman » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:12 pm

I sometimes wake up in the middle of the night after having a bad dream. I gasp as, in the first round, I mistakenly say Chris Brown instead of Ronnie Brown. What a bad dream.
It takes a great person to be truly humble, and a humble person to be truly great.

Route Collectors

Ethics Question

Post by Route Collectors » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:15 pm

Originally posted by Nag':
During my WCOFF draft last year one of the owners said "Chad Lewis" and quickly said "I mean...LJ.Smith". I asked for the Chad Lewis pick to stand as did the other owners. there was a call to one of the event managers and they told him the Chad Lewis pick had to stand.

At the end of the draft, that owner came over to me and told me that I was right and he was wrong. No hard feelings. We shook hands and walked away. I could never be that legalistic. I agree with all the above posts that don't allow redos based on lack of knowledge. The guy mentioned here obviously knew the right player but had a brain fart for whatever reason. Since he immediately corrected his own mistake it seems harsh to me that you would make him keep the wrong player.

If I was that guy...I guarantee we wouldn't be shaking hands after the draft. It's cool if you beat me fair and square but don't try to gain an advantage with this example.......not cool!
:(

mikeybok

Ethics Question

Post by mikeybok » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:16 pm

Originally posted by BigMO:
I sometimes wake up in the middle of the night after having a bad dream. I gasp as, in the first round, I mistakenly say Chris Brown instead of Ronnie Brown. What a bad dream. After the next draft you'll be saying Tomato instead of Tomlinson! But that won't mess up your draft :cool:
Hakuna Matata!

Route Collectors

Ethics Question

Post by Route Collectors » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:28 pm

One more point.....wouldn't the above example be akin to someone moving their chess piece to 2 different locations on the board. As long as the piece is in the players hand the move is still in process - right?

Nag'

Ethics Question

Post by Nag' » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:31 pm

Originally posted by Route C:
quote:Originally posted by Nag':
During my WCOFF draft last year one of the owners said "Chad Lewis" and quickly said "I mean...LJ.Smith". I asked for the Chad Lewis pick to stand as did the other owners. there was a call to one of the event managers and they told him the Chad Lewis pick had to stand.

At the end of the draft, that owner came over to me and told me that I was right and he was wrong. No hard feelings. We shook hands and walked away. I could never be that legalistic. I agree with all the above posts that don't allow redos based on lack of knowledge. The guy mentioned here obviously knew the right player but had a brain fart for whatever reason. Since he immediately corrected his own mistake it seems harsh to me that you would make him keep the wrong player.

If I was that guy...I guarantee we wouldn't be shaking hands after the draft. It's cool if you beat me fair and square but don't try to gain an advantage with this example.......not cool!
:(
[/QUOTE]Rules clearly state that Chad Lewis was the official pick as was confirmed by the event managers. I did what the rules specifically state should be done. There was nothing "unfair or unsquare" about that. This wasn't a "buddy" league - it's the World Championship of Fantasy Football with the winner takes home $200,000. I did it then and will do it every time in that situation. I don't care if that makes me not cool.
For Players. By Players.

BillyWaz

Ethics Question

Post by BillyWaz » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:43 pm

Actually last year, I believe in the DC I chose a defense in like round 16 or something like that (I think KC). I quickly (like within 2 seconds)realized they were off the same week as one of my other defenses. As the sticker was being peeled, I asked if I could change my pick, and the moderator said "sure". I then changed it to I think San Diego (actually that is the only time that I asked if could switch in 19 years of drafting. Doesn't mean I haven't thought about switching picks MANY times).

No harm, no foul.

Once the guy behind me picks, I should be stuck with whatever I got, but I have no problem in allowing a "quick" change (if I am still on the clock).

Not even sure if it s officially laid out in the NFFC rules. Probably won't be an issue ever again for me anyhow, and I will go with the moderator's decision from now on.

Route Collectors

Ethics Question

Post by Route Collectors » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:47 pm

To each his own Alex but it's a little extreme for me. I'd feel really bad if I did that to someone for the reasons I previously mentioned.
What advantage did this guy get over the field......zippo..because no one gave him info that saved his pick. What advantage did the field enjoy over this guy by making him take C.Lewis?
Bad form IMO...but I'll agree to disagree.

mikeybok

Ethics Question

Post by mikeybok » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:48 pm

Yea ... we discussed this after the draft and we talked about this again in the moderater room on Saturday before the drafts. Rusty said they clearly made a mistake letting you do that. They should have never taken the sticker off the board. Once a pick is made ... it is made. You are just lucky that everyone in the room was OK with you doing that ... we are nicer in Chicago than LV.

If someone else had objected ... I would have had to agree with them. The rule clearly states that once you anounce a player ... he's yours.
Hakuna Matata!

King of Queens

Ethics Question

Post by King of Queens » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:58 pm

Perhaps a rules clarification is needed by Greg here. After all, this is the National Fantasy Football Championship. :D

Nag'

Ethics Question

Post by Nag' » Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:03 pm

Originally posted by Route C:
To each his own Alex but it's a little extreme for me. I'd feel really bad if I did that to someone for the reasons I previously mentioned.
What advantage did this guy get over the field......zippo..because no one gave him info that saved his pick. What advantage did the field enjoy over this guy by making him take C.Lewis?
Bad form IMO...but I'll agree to disagree. You're making this about me - it's not - it's about that owner making a mistake according to the rules. All I did was point out that mistake.
For Players. By Players.