Fantasy Football Grand Slam

Post by Diesel » Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:15 am

LOL That was funny.
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:15 am

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself...and China...and India...and Japan...and..."

~Lance
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver

slam

Post by slam » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:01 am

If anyone can predict the market accurately then they would be doing it and not telling everyone else.
No one can beat the market consistently.
But of course all the talkin heads claim they can.

How about a NFFC, NBC and FFPC hat trick?

On a football note:
KC Brendon Albert OT --steal of the draft or is it PITTS and RB Mendenhall? When will the first WR go we are at pick 25 now

[ April 26, 2008, 05:02 PM: Message edited by: slam ]
Author, Fantasy Football Guidebook: Your Comprehensive Guide to Playing Fantasy Football and Fantasy Football Tips: 201 Ways to Win through Player Rankings, Cheat Sheets and Better Drafting (Available at www.fantasyfootballguidebook.com )

Mike Costaglio

Post by Mike Costaglio » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:43 pm

I'm talking Fantasy Football Grand Slam, NOT the price of flour, gas, or stocks. Flour, are you kidding me? LOL

Nag'

Post by Nag' » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:09 pm

Originally posted by Diesel:
Matt, on top of gas prices going up...Flour has gone through the roof, so bread/pizza/bagels/pasta, etc...is going up and up...Also, everyone's electric bills have been rising over the last year. I am sure that a few people are going to have a slight heart attack when they see their electric bill this summer, if it turns out to be a very hot summer.

I think 8 years of a recession is what constitutes a depression. I don't think we're very far off from that. Let's hope things turn around soon for everyone. People who are financially impacted by the price of groceries do not spend 3-4 grand on high stakes fantasy football contests. But it is likely that the mortgage pinch along with the overall increase in the cost of living will impact the industry. My guess it will probably deter new customers from diving into the high stakes industry for the first time and allocating the extra couple of grand. Those who have already tasted the high-stakes "nectar" are addicted for life and will continue to find ways to finance their habit.
For Players. By Players.

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:38 pm

Originally posted by Nag':
quote:Originally posted by Diesel:
Matt, on top of gas prices going up...Flour has gone through the roof, so bread/pizza/bagels/pasta, etc...is going up and up...Also, everyone's electric bills have been rising over the last year. I am sure that a few people are going to have a slight heart attack when they see their electric bill this summer, if it turns out to be a very hot summer.

I think 8 years of a recession is what constitutes a depression. I don't think we're very far off from that. Let's hope things turn around soon for everyone. Those who have already tasted the high-stakes "nectar" are addicted for life and will continue to find ways to finance their habit.
[/QUOTE]Agree 100% with this Nag, as once you have played in "x amount" of leagues, it is tough to regress.

Much like a fantasy contest that would offer a
big prize one year, and then cut it back the next.

Tough to do, and I don't see it happening! ;)

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:58 am

Originally posted by sportsbettingman:
$6,000.00 in entry...you'd better be ready.

I have come to believe that the owners of these companies think we are gambling fools, and have never-ending pockets.

When breaking down the odds of profiting in this game...there are sooooo many better bets out there.

~Lance Lance, I don't think the game operators think we've found a pool of gambling fools and we'll tap into it until every last dime is gone. I think each of us have products we feel strongly about and we believe there is a market out there to support our offerings. But you are correct, not every company is going to hit a home run and the consumer will decide which ones survive. That same thing happened in 2004 when Kahuna Sports left the market, it happened the next year when WCOFB folded in baseball and The Draft changed its format, and it's happened every year since with startups who thought they could compete with WCOFF and couldn't.

This is an evolving market and some folks believe the high-stakes area is easy money. Unfortunately, I can tell you from experience that they have no idea how many expenses are involved in event hosting and they have no idea how special each of you customers are. It's tough to find a die-hard fantasy player who has the discretionary income to play at this level and the willingness to travel for these events. There are a limited number of you folks out there and each time I find one I do all I can to make them happy and successful because I know replacing them is harder than finding them.

Will everyone succeed this year? No. Could a fantasy player get burned this year by any of the contests? It's possible.

All I can say from our end is that we felt:

1. It was in our best interests to partner with a major media company, to create a game just for that media company using their well-known logo to promote it.

2. We felt creating a 12-team event on Labor Day weekend was better than letting a competitor come in and do it against us.

3. We felt that hosting at all four locations where we already had the expenses paid for was smart.

And 4. We felt that the market was still untapped enough to bring in another 300+ customers to one more of our events. Even with added competition out there, we feel good about our decision to expand in this space.

Will we all succeed? Only time will tell and you, the customer, will decide which one of us eventually play in this space. Thanks man and good luck this year with all of your decisions.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Mike Costaglio

Post by Mike Costaglio » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:27 pm

On second thought maybe all four main events will not fill. Tough year to try and fill four high stakes events. Gas prices, housing, travel expense, ecomomy all could be in worse shape in just a couple of months. Select your event carefully.

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:39 pm

Originally posted by Mike Costaglio:
On second thought maybe all four main events will not fill. Tough year to try and fill four high stakes events. Gas prices, housing, travel expense, ecomomy all could be in worse shape in just a couple of months. Select your event carefully. Good point Mike.

This is part of why I think the online fantasy championship concept would work really well. As much as I love the live events, a lower-cost live event with a higher payout % should work well. If we could get a payout of 85% for an online model with an entry fee range of $500-750, I think it would explode for the new JV.
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.