If you want to sign up for a super slow draft ...

moyer1313

Re: If you want to sign up for a super slow draft ...

Post by moyer1313 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:07 pm

As I said in my post above with the table of draft times, I don't think that most of us are complaining because someone
averages 2 1/2 hours per pick, I think most of us are complaining about the way that they average 2 1/2 hours per pick.

For example:

On Thursday, after holding us up for 2 3/4 hours from 10:49 AM ET to 1:34 PM ET, he is then back On-the-Clock in a little
over an hour at 2:47 PM ET and holds us up for 5 hours from 2:47 PM ET to 7:59 PM and we get this excuse:

Jared-Syn.... Walker, Delanie TEN TE.... Thu Jul 10 7:59:04 p.m. ET 2014.... Sorry guys - was on a plane

On Friday, he held us up for 1 3/4 hours in the morning from 9:53 AM ET to 11:37 AM ET, is then back On-the-Clock in 2 hours at 1:40 PM ET, and holds us up for 4 1/2 hours from 1:40 PM ET to 6:19 ET in the afternoon.

Then on Saturday he is On-the-Clock for 7 hours during prime time from 3:20 PM ET to 10:17 PM ET and gives us this excuse:

Jared-Syn... guys rally sorry - i had submitted baldwin from the phone and then hit OK and threw the phone in the golf bag
Jared-Syn... turns out it was that Franshise ID missing BS that happens sometimes
Jared-Syn... my bad

We are in the 15th Round and he has yet to set one pre-draft. He is picking 6th, so it is easy to pre-draft. We constantly get around one of the turns, that is 12 picks, in 2 hours or less, but then he kills us, again.

Not surprisingly, he is averaging 2 hours and 25 minutes per pick.

Unfortunately, he isn't the slowest drafter.

There is another, I won't say idiot, drafter that is drafting 11th that is averaging 2 hours and 30 minutes per pick.

This is the 3rd draft I have done with him and he has averaged over 2 hours per pick each time.

Yesterday he killed us, again. He was On-the-Clock for 12 hours from 1:38 AM ET to 1:45 PM ET and Time Out. His excuse:

"Draft Master Veteran.... Date Sat Jul 12 1:50:56 p.m. ET 2014

Sorry, I missed the pick. Too much going on here with my kids this weekend, I suck. Extreme apologies again, everyone.

13.11.... I take Lance Dunbar.

-N"

That was posted to the Message Board 5 minutes after he Timed Out. If he knew within 5 minutes that he Timed Out, how did he not know that he was On-the-Clock? How do you not even check the site all day?

No one else in the draft is averaging more than 1 hour 19 minutes per pick. By averaging more than 1 hour per pick more
than the 3rd slowest drafter, they will add over 2 more days to this 26 Round draft.

If everyone averaged 2 1/2 hours per pick, then the draft would take 33 days to complete and that is only 26 Rounds. A 35 Round draft would take more than 44 days. A 14-Team, 35 Round draft would take more than 51 days.

In another draft that just started yesterday, a guy makes his pick at 1.10 and is back On-the-Clock in 7 minutes for his 2.3 pick. 6 hours later we get this excuse:

"Sorry all, hadn't checked email since yesterday afternoon apparently. Good to go with text alerts set up moving forward
tho."

In another draft, a guy is picking 5th and holds us up for 5 1/12 hours from 5:58 PM ET to 11:34 PM ET. 21 minutes later
he is one pick away from being On-th-Clock. He of course doesn't pre-draft it. 7 hours later he is On-the-Clock. He holds us up for 4 1/2 hours from 6:49 AM ET to 11:16 AM ET. He was one pick away for 12 hours.

We get this excuse:

"Damn, u guys r all nice & fast. Sorry for the holdups so far. Been trying to squeeze picks in around my lady & her fam w/o getting caught. Haven't even had time to predraft. Should be easier now tho."

Of course, he hasn't gotten any better.

We are in the 25th Round and he has yet to set a pre-draft. He is averaging 2 hours and 30 minutes per pick.

Which is made even more ridiculous by the fact that the guy picking right next to him in the 6th spot is averaging 2 hours
and 25 minutes per pick and finally used his first pre-draft in the 24th round.

Every round they have each other holding the draft up for hours, giving them plenty of time to set a pre-draft from one pick away, but neither one does.

The guy picking 5th made his pick in the 24th Round and was back On-the-Clock in the 25th Round in 7 minutes. He was then On-the-Clock for 3 1/2 hours. Now the other clown in the 6th spot has been On-the=Clock for over an hour, 1 pick away for over 4 hours, and 2 picks away for over 5 hours.

There were 3 other Time Outs yesterday in my drafts with no excuses offered.

This is the type of stuff that most of us are complaining about.

Nevermind the guy in the 11th spot that can't be bothered to pre-draft the pick 2 spots away and holds things up for 8
hours:

5.11 59. Foul Stench.... Davis, Vernon SFO TE..... Tue Jul 8 11:38:53 a.m. ET 2014.... Pick made based on Pre-Draft List
5.12 60. Steel Card..... Jennings, Rashad NYG RB.. Tue Jul 8 1:10:18 p.m. ET 2014
6.01 61. Steel Card..... Maclin, Jeremy PHI WR.... Tue Jul 8 1:11:43 p.m. ET 2014
6.02 62. Foul Stench.... Thomas, Pierre NOS RB.... Tue Jul 8 7:00:11 p.m. ET 2014.... sorry about the delay, I was in a meeting for the last 6 hours

And then gives the, "I was in a meeting excuse."

No excuse. Pre-draft the pick! It is only 2 picks away!

Or the guy that is 1 pick away for 10 hours, doesn't pre-draft the pick, and then hold us up for 10 1/2 hours when he is On-the-Clock:

15.07 175. Bama Vipers.... Wright, Tim TBB TE....... Fri Jul 11 11:44:42 p.m. ET 2014
15.08 176. Follow Me...... Broncos, Denver DEN Def.. Fri Jul 11 11:44:43 p.m. ET 2014 Pick made based on Pre-Draft List
15.09 177. Skiman59er..... Lee, Marqise JAC WR (R). Sat Jul 12 9:36:09 a.m. ET 2014
15.10 178. Death Dealers.. Texans, Houston HOU Def.. Sat Jul 12 8:07:48 p.m. ET 2014

He was 1 pick away for 20 1/2 hours!

This is the kind of stuff that drives me crazy.

When it happens once or twice to the unusual suspect, or a rookie drafter, overlooking it is easy.

When it happens to the same person, over and over, then their excuses ring hollow.

Unfortunately, other than picking on specific people who repeatedly do "stupid" stuff, the above problems can't be made to go away by making up rules.

Someone once said, "You can't legislate stupid."

In these situations, you also can't legislate being inconsiderate.

Mark
Follow Me
'07 10-3 127.3 ppg $0 Won
'08 11-2 123.3 ppg $0 Won
'09 2-12 129.5 ppg $0 Won

The only team in NFFC Main Event history to win 11 games and not cash. :(

1683.8 pts. in 2009 is the record for a team with just 2 wins. Old record - 1479.95

Erok

Post by Erok » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:48 pm

FYI: The airplane excuse is worn out for anyone else planning to use that excuse.

I've heard it for the last three years in one slow draft at least per year.

"I'm on an airplane." = I'M NOT PREPARED FOR THIS DRAFT & NEED 4 HOURS TO DO RESEARCH!

Erok

Post by Erok » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:56 pm

Let me say this too....

I think a lot of new drafters to the slow format do not know what is expected.
I know I did not in my first one a few years ago.
I was out with the wife shopping when I got the email that I was up with my first round pick.
We finished shopping, went to eat, etc....Took about 3-4 hours total.
When I got home I logged onto computer to make pick and saw a few guys bi***ing about me taking so long.
Needless to say, we argued back and forth for awhile, as I simply did not know what was expected in these. I thought I had 8 hours to get my pick (now I am the one who complains when people take too long. lol.).
Now I know how these work & what is expected.
I always have my I-phone on me and make over 1/2 of my picks on my phone (no idea how everyone cannot do this). 90% of my picks are made within the first half hour I am on the clock (unless I am sleeping of course.)

I just think these would go smoother if it is stated in the rules that 8 hours is a fail safe and everyone is encouraged to make their picks within the first two hours on the clock or so, etc.... not much else you can do.

moyer1313

Post by moyer1313 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:10 pm

Erok wrote:FYI: The airplane excuse is worn out for anyone else planning to use that excuse.

"I'm on an airplane." = I'M NOT PREPARED FOR THIS DRAFT & NEED 4 HOURS TO DO RESEARCH!

However, before I leave the house/hotel to go to the airport I will post my schedule for the day to the league's Message Board, will send an e-mail to everyone in the league with my schedule for the day, and pre-draft as far ahead as I possibly can.

There is a right way and a wrong way to handle periods of time that you know you won't be available.

Now, if I end up sitting on the tarmac for 3 hours and my schedule is thrown for a loop, then that is another story.

Most people do not have a problem with known down times and the unplanned emergency.

It is the reoccurring, unplanned things, some of which could be avoided with a little pre-drafting, that seem to happen consistently to the same people that bothers other people.

Mark
Follow Me
'07 10-3 127.3 ppg $0 Won
'08 11-2 123.3 ppg $0 Won
'09 2-12 129.5 ppg $0 Won

The only team in NFFC Main Event history to win 11 games and not cash. :(

1683.8 pts. in 2009 is the record for a team with just 2 wins. Old record - 1479.95

Erok

Post by Erok » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:05 am

moyer1313 wrote:
Erok wrote:FYI: The airplane excuse is worn out for anyone else planning to use that excuse.

However, before I leave the house/hotel to go to the airport I will post my schedule for the day to the league's Message Board, will send an e-mail to everyone in the league with my schedule for the day, and pre-draft as far ahead as I possibly can.

There is a right way and a wrong way to handle periods of time that you know you won't be available.

Now, if I end up sitting on the tarmac for 3 hours and my schedule is thrown for a loop, then that is another story.

Most people do not have a problem with known down times and the unplanned emergency.

It is the reoccurring, unplanned things, some of which could be avoided with a little pre-drafting, that seem to happen consistently to the same people that bothers other people.

Mark
Follow Me
Right Mark. Communication is huge in these and a common courtesy. If you are going to be tied up for 3-4 hours its only right to let the rest of drafters know this. People appreciate that, as long as it doesnt keep happening continuously throughout the draft.

Don Draper

Post by Don Draper » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:01 pm

Only a couple more rounds and I'll be forever done with Dietzman. Dragging it out 5 plus hours and counting in the 33rd round. Total blacklist. Greg/tom: if I ever sign up for a league and this inconsiderate sport signs up after me, please remove me from the signup list. Thanks

KenGill

Post by KenGill » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:30 pm

I have to jump in with a comment or two. I'm not in a single slow draft. Not because of any inconsiderate drafters, but rather because it's F***ing JULY people. Baseball season. Nice weather. Chance to go outside and do things. Take a hike. Play with your kids. Better stuff to do than draft football when training camp hasn't even started yet. Good grief. Carry on.
I never lost a game. I only ran out of time. Bobby Layne
Kid....if you're going to make it in this league, you're going to have to learn to drink. Bobby Layne

Don Draper

Post by Don Draper » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:38 pm

And yet you found time to visit this message board, read some posts and then make your own post!!!! LOL :lol:

Btw, Dietzman just moved past the 7 hour mark in the 33rd round. FAIL

RiFF

Post by RiFF » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:46 pm

Don Draper wrote:And yet you found time to visit this message board, read some posts and then make your own post!!!! LOL :lol:

Btw, Dietzman just moved past the 7 hour mark in the 33rd round. FAIL

The Dietz....as Greg said "He's a good guy and he loves this format,"....so that should be good enough for everyone... :roll:

KenGill

Post by KenGill » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:49 pm

LOL good point Mark. Yeah I still find some time for the baseball boards but really haven't done anything on the football side. It's just too early....
I never lost a game. I only ran out of time. Bobby Layne
Kid....if you're going to make it in this league, you're going to have to learn to drink. Bobby Layne