Shut Up, Sit Down and Draft!! Looking For Volunteers

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:52 am

Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
I almost took a third QB with my final pick because there wasn't a single RB, WR or TE left who I thought had any value. I took Randall Cobb who I expect to do nothing of significance for fantasy owners this season. But I came close to taking a third QB mainly because I thought the talent at the other positions was so poor at that point. I took Carson Palmer with the last pick in the draft for the same reasons. There was nobody of interest at that point and I figured I'd be cutting my 19th pick during the first FAAB period anyway, so why not take a flyer on Palmer and hope some type of trade from the Bengals gets worked out. I know the odds are well against that happening and that Palmer will likely stay retired, but heck it's only June and crazier things have happened. And if it doesn't work out, then he's the first to go anyway.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:54 am

Palmer's a much better pick than Cobb for the reasons you cited so I agree it's a worthy gamble. In retrospect, I should've done something like that.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Captain Hook

Post by Captain Hook » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:37 am

Originally posted by BillyWaz:
quote:Originally posted by Captain Hook:

Aside from those who might have intentionally drafted a QBBC, some of you will have to explain to this cantankerous, old vet why you are rostering so many quarterbacks? It is not a DC or best ball league....... Since I took 4 QB's, I will chime in here.

After taking Stafford, I wanted another QB. I should of probably took Flacco in round 10, and been done with it, but I passed, and that is when all the backups started going.

I ended up with Garrard, and since I have done little to no research on bye weeks, etc. I quickly realized he had the same bye as Stafford.

I then took Jason Campbell. Certainly not great, but serviceable for a week.

And being that I had Stafford, I think Shaun Hill is a necessary evil due to Stafford being a bit fragile.

So that is my reasoning, but could honestly seeing myself cutting Campbell and Garrard after week 6, and just going with the Detroit QB's for the remainder of the season.
[/QUOTE]Good honest answer Billy

And frankly one of the two reasons (before someone asks snidely) that I wanted to just draft one of the Week 11 QBs.

Since Brees and Peyton would go earlier than I would likely draft them, Big Ben and Schaub were very attractive to going solo at the position and collecting more potential bullets (just like most would do in a twelve team league).
1) There are starting quarterbacks who weren't drafted; and
2) By Week 10 many of the backups/spares/QBBC quarterbacks will have been dropped back in the pool and one will certainly be useful for me

[ June 17, 2011, 02:38 PM: Message edited by: Captain Hook ]

kentucky

Post by kentucky » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:30 am

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Captain Hook:
[QB] One thought on Quarterbacks
As an experienced group there was not the first/second round rush for QBs and as expected (but not necessarily recommended) a large group off in round three (Brees, Rivers, Brady, and Peyton).

Perry, I understand your thoughts on QB's, BUT, had this been a DC, You COULD have seen them fly off the boards a little earlier. If I'm wrong, so be it, but once that first QB goes in a DC, some players tend to get antsy and the top 5-7 QB's are coming off the board.
bill cleavenger
"BIG BLUE NATION" ... We don't rebuild, we reload!!!

Captain Hook

Post by Captain Hook » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:43 am

I agree Bill and had this been a DC, if I had the opportunity to take a top QB in round four (maybe very late round three) I would have and then added more later. But generally like others I find the spot where I am more comfortable taking the first one and then take either two or three in a row.

In 12 team leagues I have often not drafted a QB1 until after the break and then maybe two good ones in a row. In 14 team leagues most will draft a backup or alternate, but again unless everything in the world is drafted I would just go with one, IF he is a guy I feel will put up better than Top 10 numbers.....or go with a QBBC

Captain Hook

Post by Captain Hook » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:51 am

Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
I almost took a third QB with my final pick because there wasn't a single RB, WR or TE left who I thought had any value. I took Randall Cobb who I expect to do nothing of significance for fantasy owners this season. But I came close to taking a third QB mainly because I thought the talent at the other positions was so poor at that point. Not to nitpick Tom, but
1) you took Cobb in round 18 - in round 19 you took the Nawlins DST
2) and since you already had Ryan and Cassel, I am not sure you needed a third quarterback (especially one who won't play like Palmer)....but
3) all of these were taken after your last pick and I think are worthy of being rostered in deep competitive leagues like this - they may turn out to be worthless by the time we get to September but then you have an easy cut in Week 1
Jason Avant
Correll Buckhalter
Donnie Avery
Brian Robiskie
Lex Hilliard (maybe Ken)
DHB (flier material for sure)
Golden Tate

DoubleG

Post by DoubleG » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:56 am

hook - i took both buckhalter and robiskie in last week's $60 nffc league (30 rounds). i really didn't like the picks, but it makes me feel a little better that someone else thinks they could have value. thank you! :D

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:14 am

I rarely take a QB early but since Manning fell to me at3.10 I thought that represented a reasonable value. If this league had waivers before week 1 I would not have backed him up but since there are no waivers I took Cam Newton in the 18th. (Who might not even start but oh well.) I did think that was a good question Perry. If you take a QB early one of the benefits is that you can add depth at other positions without having to take a high quality backup. Just my thoughts but I typically am the last one to take a QB in most drafts.

Wayne

Captain Hook

Post by Captain Hook » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:42 am

EGGSACTLY Wayne

Captain Hook

Post by Captain Hook » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:12 pm

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
Okay, sorry for the delay today, but here are the first six rounds of results from last night's draft. Man, we had fun:

Round 1:
1. Arian Foster
2. Chris Johnson
3. Jamaal Charles
4. Adrian Peterson
5. Ray Rice
6. Andre Johnson
7. LeSean McCoy
8. Maurice Jones-Drew
9. Roddy White
10. Calvin Johnson
11. Hakeem Nicks
12. Aaron Rodgers
13. Rashard Mendenhall
14. Larry Fitzgerald

Round 2:
15. Greg Jennings
16. Reggie Wayne
17. Frank Gore
18. Michael Vick
19. Michael Turner
20. Darren McFadden
21. Matt Forte
22. Dwayne Bowe
23. Ryan Mathews
24. Mike Wallace
25. Jeremy Maclin
26. Miles Austin
27. Steven Jackson
28. Vincent Jackson

Round 3:
29. Marques Colston
30. Mike Williams
31. DeSean Jackson
32. Peyton Hillis
33. Drew Brees
34. Philip Rivers
35. Tom Brady
36. Wes Welker
37. Ahmad Bradshaw
38. Peyton Manning
39. LeGarrette Blount
40. Antonio Gates
41. Brandon Marshall
42. Tony Romo

Round 4:
43. Stevie Johnson
44. Kenny Britt
45. DeAngelo Williams
46. Brandon Lloyd
47. Jermichael Finley
48. Daniel Thomas
49. Austin Collie
50. Percy Harvin
51. Dez Bryant
52. Dallas Clark
53. Jonathan Stewart
54. Mark Ingram
55. Matt Ryan
56. Shonn Greene

Round 5:
57. Jahvid Best
58. Cedric Benson
59. Jason Witten
60. Pierre Garcon
61. Knowshon Moreno
62. Santonio Holmes
63. Steve Smith (NYG)
64. Matt Schaub
65. Anquan Boldin
66. Sidney Rice
67. Ben Roethlisberger
68. Felix Jones
69. Vernon Davis
70. Joseph Addai

Round 6:
71. Santana Moss
72. Owen Daniels
73. Mario Manningham
74. Johnny Knox
75. Jimmy Graham
76. Michael Crabtree
77. Marshawn Lynch
78. Mike Thomas
79. BenJarvus Green-Ellis
80. Fred Jackson
81. Mike Williams
82. Steve Smith (CAR)
83. A.J. Green
84. Mikel LeShoure

Thoughts?
Thoughts? hmmmm
Well I can give you a few of my decision thoughts from these rounds

1.04 - I was delighted that Peterson was still there to click my draft button on :D

2.11 - I was planning on taking the best WR here and got sniped by Wayne at 2.10 when he took Mike Wallace.....I preferred Maclin over the others there by a small margin

3.11 - Seems on the 3RR turn like you are waiting forever but glad the QB picks left better choices than I would have thought. Tough choice to go STUD tight end here, but I thought Blount belonged more with the RB already drafted and clearly ahead of the rest available so I took him here and knew I would have a nice player waiting around the turn

4.04 - Not the player I wanted though as BWaz took Gates at 3.12. With a deeper group of good choices at TE I decided to wait there especially since the two top choices there - Finley and Clark both have at least slight injury questions. Doubt that Brandon Lloyd can be as good as he was last year without Orton slinging that much but I will bet he is better than WR19

5.11 - took Big Ben as I noted earlier....wonder if both Billy and Jules would have passed on him in the 5th AND 6th?

6.04 - Snaked again, this time by Billy who took Manningham who I had queued up and ready to draft....sigh. Still glad to add Knox here - great upside and I "heard" the groans from below ;)

Let's hear from some of the others......maybe they had to work today :cool: