6 Viable Options For 2012 FAAB In The NFFC In 2012

The Franchise

Post by The Franchise » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:20 am

Originally posted by Sandman62:
So if I throw a bunch of darts on Wed. at players I don't expect to need for a few weeks, then on Fri. another player I had planned on starting this week - so I didn't pickup potential replacements for HIM - gets hurt. I'm stuck, unless there's a Fri. waiver run. I think a Friday FAAB makes sense, but as long as Wednesday is a full FAAB and not just Thursday players only.

Picking up players on Wednesday as opposed to Friday is not luck. I believe there is actually more skill involved. On Tuesday I already know what player/s I want to pickup on Friday. The only thing that changes is the bid amounts based on the market which is created by what FF sites put out there.
Winning isn't everything, but the will to win is.

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:24 am

Having two FULL FAABs would likely see 95% of pickups on Wed., leaving the Fri. run for emergencies due to late news. But it would also essentially force those who would rather wait for Thurs and Fri news to HAVE TO do the bulk of their pickups on Wed. - because that's when most people would likely target players.

I don't see how that "helps the most owners overall" as it certainly doesn't help anyone who wants the latest injury info before making decisions. IMO, the earlier in the week we do waivers, the more it INCREASES luck, much like in KoQ's draft example of July vs. Sept.

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:32 am

Originally posted by The Franchise:
quote:Originally posted by Sandman62:
So if I throw a bunch of darts on Wed. at players I don't expect to need for a few weeks, then on Fri. another player I had planned on starting this week - so I didn't pickup potential replacements for HIM - gets hurt. I'm stuck, unless there's a Fri. waiver run. I think a Friday FAAB makes sense, but as long as Wednesday is a full FAAB and not just Thursday players only.

Picking up players on Wednesday as opposed to Friday is not luck. I believe there is actually more skill involved. On Tuesday I already know what player/s I want to pickup on Friday. The only thing that changes is the bid amounts based on the market which is created by what FF sites put out there.
[/QUOTE]I do believe there is still more luck in Wed. waivers. Some may be savvier than others at which players they target so I'll give you skill on that. But without a crystal ball, how important the ROLE of the player you acquired is much luckier. 

So you see a WR get some extra targets on Sun. So you pick him up in a hunch that he could be productive soon = skill. But when the NFL player in front of him tweaks his hammy on Thurs or Fri and you now have a starter and the owner with the prior starter has no chance at his backup = luck.

The Franchise

Post by The Franchise » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:45 am

Originally posted by Sandman62:
quote:Originally posted by The Franchise:

[/QUOTE]I do believe there is still more luck in Wed. waivers. Some may be savvier than others at which players they target so I'll give you skill on that. But without a crystal ball, how important the ROLE of the player you acquired is much luckier. 

So you see a WR get some extra targets on Sun. So you pick him up in a hunch that he could be productive soon = skill. But when the NFL player in front of him tweaks his hammy on Thurs or Fri and you now have a starter and the owner with the prior starter has no chance at his backup = luck.
[/QUOTE]I will name you champion of this debate if you can give more than one instance where this occurred last year..... :D

[Starting WR/RB/TE goes down between Wed and Fri, and now the next guy in line is named the starter?]

I'm picking up that player on Wed because there is already a pre-existing injury to the starter or the starter is about to lose his job based on what I saw on Sunday. Snap counts, Targets and performance
Winning isn't everything, but the will to win is.

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:52 am

I don't know where to find historical injury news along with subsequent lineup changes. If you do though and you can show us that it only happens one or less times per year, then I'll declare YOU winner.

BLACKHAND

Post by BLACKHAND » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:14 am

Originally posted by The Franchise:

[/QUOTE]if you know on tues who you want on friday it kinda knocks down the extra work you and chad talk about. or do i misunderstand.
THIS IS THE BUSINESS WE HAVE CHOSEN

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:17 am

Just a reminder that we did say that no matter what decision we make this year that all free agents in each league are viewable shortly after FAAB is run on Friday night and that we can open FAAB bidding for the next week on Saturday mornings now rather than Tuesday mornings. I know the last thing you want to do on an NFL weekend is look over next week's FAAB pickups, but this might be part of the new norm going forward if Wednesdays are involved. Again, it's not a solution, but it does allow you to get a head start on FAAB than what we had in place in the past.

This is a tough, tough discussion and I understand all sides. If it were up to me, I would ask the NFL to sit Thursday Night Games until Week 10 like we had before. I'm sure it will be good for the league, but personally I'm not sure I've watched a full Thursday Night Game yet. They're usually stinkers. And for that we now are left with this tough decision on FAAB! ;)

I will try to create a survey this week and send to all 2011 NFFC players. Should we provide all 6 options or do you think we can whittle this down to 3-4 viable options? Is a Friday only or Friday only through Week 9 not even possible to all of us??

Thoughts?
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Cocktails and Dreams

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:23 am

Originally posted by THE_BLACKHAND:
quote:Originally posted by The Franchise:

[/QUOTE]if you know on tues who you want on friday it kinda knocks down the extra work you and chad talk about. or do i misunderstand.
[/QUOTE]You misunderstand

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:26 am

I think you should include all 6 options, Greg. E-mail everyone, and have people rank them 1 to 6. With hundreds of responses, you'll be able to narrow it down and send a second survey if necessary. Let everyone know the positives and negatives -- even where there are none (thanks, Chad!).

Ted's Cracked Head

Post by Ted's Cracked Head » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:28 am

I would keep it simple,

1) Would you prefer 1 or 2 waiver periods each week.
--If 1 go to question 2.
--If 2, go to question 3.

2) If you would prefer one waiver period, would you choose;
a) Wednesday at (insert time, hopefully as late as possible - suggest midnight pst)
b) Friday at ___
c) Saturday at ____

3) If you would prefer two waiver periods each week, please choose from the following;
a) Wednesday and Fri - Wednesday offering a chance to only pickup players for the Thursday game.
b) Wednesday and Sat - Wednesday offering a chance to only pickup players for the Thursday game.
c) Wednesday and Friday - full waiver periods both days
d) Wednesday and Saturday - full waiver periods both days

Note: Players dropped on Wednesday are not available for the second waiver period that week.

Going to Saturday here may help team management issues if the other challenges use Friday?
My mama says she loves me but she could be jiving too! BB King