NFFC Rules Discussion For 2013

CALI CARTEL

Re: NFFC Rules Discussion For 2013

Post by CALI CARTEL » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:16 pm

I've always enjoyed playing in "Victory Points" formats (basically how Hockey/Soccer standings work), where each team gets 2 pts for a Win, 1 for a Tie and 0 for a Win. But in addition to that, the top 4 scoring teams receive an extra 2 pts, the middle 4 scoring teams receive 1 pt, and the bottom 4 scoring teams receive 0 pts.

Win = 2
Tie = 1
Loss = 0
Top 4 Scores = 2
Mid 4 Scores = 1
Bot 4 Scores = 0

Each team can receive between 0 and 4 points in a given week depending on how they finish in the league point standings for the week.

Example:

Team A finishes as the 4th highest scorer in the week for 3 straight weeks, but loses two rough games to high scorers.

Team B finishes as the 5th highest scorer for 2 weeks and 10th in scoring for the 3rd week, but is lucky enough to win all 3 of their games.

Team A goes 1-2, with 3 Top 4 scores = 2 for the win, and 6 (2 for each) of the Top 4 scores = 8 "Victory Points"
Team B goes 3-0, with 2 Middle 4 scores and 1 Bottom 4 score = 6 for the wins, and 2 (1 for each) of the Middle 4 scores = 8 "Victory Points"

It's not a system everyone will like, but it's about the fairest system I've played under that awards weight to both Points and H2H in a single Rankings.

ForLoveOfTheGame

Post by ForLoveOfTheGame » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:32 pm

I'd be all for KJ's proposal or Cali's... anything where you are the 2nd or 3rd highest scoring team and run into the buzz saw of the highest scoring team but don't get totally punished for it I am totally in favor of.

I couldn't be more against raising turnovers to -2. There's just too much luck there with passes that bounce off hands, bad hand offs, hail mary's, etc. People seem to want it because it hurts real football teams so much. It's ok to have a bad game with 3 turnovers and still win the game, it happens every week in the nfl. Even the best QB in the league has a few of these every year. And how can you stop here then? We give points per catch. Why not points per drop then? Jermichael Finley could go negative every week with this rule!!!!!!!!!! Mcgahee had a back breaking drop AND fumble earlier in the year that cost Denver a game but he had a great fantasy score. Houston's D against Green Bay got CRUSHED as hard as anyone this year but because they blocked one punt they scored like 8 points even though they let up something like 42-29 points. All's not fair in real football vs fantasy as it shouldn't be unless you want to draft every position including punters because it all matters in real football.

Route C

Post by Route C » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:58 pm

BillyWaz wrote:
Glenneration X wrote:Old argument replayed every season. The H2H component is always going to be a part of fantasy football, always will. All you have to do is look at any attempt any contest has made in the past to have a points only overall and the lack of interest it generated to know that to be fact.
As much as I hate to say it, Glenn is exactly right. While I often HATE H2H, it is a necessary component.

What the NFFC does better than ANY other contest is the playoffs are based totally on points over 3 weeks, but rewards those owners who "sweep" H2H and points right after week 13.

Best playoff system in the business.....bar none, IMO. :D
Hard to stomach sometimes. Team leading H2H in my league is 175th overall. If he wins this week he pockets $3500 with a shot at the other $3500. Nothing against him personally but there is something very wrong when you can be 11th in your league in scoring and 175th out of 252 teams and get rewarded like that. Anyone still think this is a game of skill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm in a $250 14 team satellite where I have 1735 pts and my record is 5-7 :o That would be good enough for 13th overall in the classic but I can't break .500 in H2H. Lost in consecutive weeks scoring 152...159...162 Really!
The team 2nd overall in the classic is 7-5...the 4th place team is 6-6. 11th place is 5-7.
H2H is a horrible way to reward good teams...always has been. All plays,victory points or any system that rewards points more heavily would be better.
Why not give the high points the $7000 without a playoff and H2H champ $3500 straight up. I think if a team has high points after 13 weeks it's a much better indicator than another 3 week shootout. We already have one of those for the overall let's get rid of it for league play.
I think if you finish 175th you're lucky to get a cup of coffee let alone what's currently possible :roll:
Last edited by Route C on Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CALI CARTEL

Post by CALI CARTEL » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:10 pm

Route C wrote:Hard to stomach sometimes. Team leading H2H in my league is 175th overall. If he wins this week he pockets $3500 with a shot at the other $3500. Nothing against him personally but there is something very wrong when you can be 11th in your league in scoring and 175th out of 252 teams and get rewarded like that. Anyone still think this is a game of skill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sucks to be in one of the extreme leagues, but currently only 2 teams are worse than 5th in Classic and leading their League in Record.
Last edited by CALI CARTEL on Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JETS SB

Post by JETS SB » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:14 pm

Route C wrote:
BillyWaz wrote:
Glenneration X wrote:Old argument replayed every season. The H2H component is always going to be a part of fantasy football, always will. All you have to do is look at any attempt any contest has made in the past to have a points only overall and the lack of interest it generated to know that to be fact.
As much as I hate to say it, Glenn is exactly right. While I often HATE H2H, it is a necessary component.

What the NFFC does better than ANY other contest is the playoffs are based totally on points over 3 weeks, but rewards those owners who "sweep" H2H and points right after week 13.

Best playoff system in the business.....bar none, IMO. :D
Hard to stomach sometimes. Team leading H2H in my league is 175th overall. If he wins this week he pockets $3500 with a shot at the other $3500. Nothing against him personally but there is something very wrong when you can be 11th in your league in scoring and 175th out of 252 teams and get rewarded like that. Anyone still think this is a game of skill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm in a $250 14 team satellite where I have 1735 pts and my record is 5-7 :o That would be good enough for 13th overall in the classic but I can't break .500 in H2H. Lost in consecutive weeks scoring 152...159...162 Really!
The team 2nd overall in the classic is 7-5...the 4th place team is 6-6. 11th place is 5-7.
H2H is a horrible way to reward good teams...always has been. All plays,victory points or any system that rewards points more heavily would be better.
Why not give the high points the $7000 without a playoff and H2H champ $3500 straight up. I think if a team has high points after 13 weeks it's a much better indicator than another 3 week shootout. We already have one of those for the overall let's get rid of it for league play.
I think if you finish 175th you're lucky to get a cup of coffee let alone what's currently possible :roll:
YUP, I am in that league with you. Wouldn't it be nice if we had a 4th playoff spot, you and I would have a much better shot at making the playoffs... just sayin... :D

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:23 pm

CALI CARTEL wrote:
Route C wrote:Hard to stomach sometimes. Team leading H2H in my league is 175th overall. If he wins this week he pockets $3500 with a shot at the other $3500. Nothing against him personally but there is something very wrong when you can be 11th in your league in scoring and 175th out of 252 teams and get rewarded like that. Anyone still think this is a game of skill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sucks to be in one of the extreme leagues, but currently only 2 teams are worth than 5th in Classic and leading their League in Record.
I'm in a Classic league where the team leading the H2H is 10th in points. What makes it worse is if he doesn't lose this week, he'll likely knock the team that's currently 3rd in points out of the playoffs. The team that would be knocked out.....mine. Even if that happens, I still wouldn't vote to eliminate H2H from these contests.

I'm also part of a $5K Victory Points league in another contest where I led in points for the entire season until this week where I fell to 2nd by only 8 points. Oddly though I'm 2nd in points, I'm somehow 2nd to last in Victory Points. Even while living through that nightmare scenerio, I still wouldn't vote for a points only contest.

This is my hobby. I want my hobby to be as fun as possible. Points only or All Play contests are not.

JETS SB

Post by JETS SB » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:35 pm

Glenneration X wrote:
CALI CARTEL wrote:
Sucks to be in one of the extreme leagues, but currently only 2 teams are worth than 5th in Classic and leading their League in Record.
I'm in a Classic league where the team leading the H2H is 10th in points. What makes it worse is if he doesn't lose this week, he'll likely knock the team that's currently 3rd in points out of the playoffs. The team that would be knocked out.....mine. Even if that happens, I still wouldn't vote to eliminate H2H from these contests.

I'm also part of a $5K Victory Points league in another contest where I led in points for the entire season until this week where I fell to 2nd by only 8 points. Oddly though I'm 2nd in points, I'm somehow 2nd to last in Victory Points. Even while living through that nightmare scenerio, I still wouldn't vote for a points only contest.

This is my hobby. I want my hobby to be as fun as possible. Points only or All Play contests are not.
I agree, points only is not the answer... 1 H2H winner and the next 3 points leaders, as it is in our Super, is the best playoff structure. It alleviates your issue in the Classic and Jeff/my issues in our Classic, where the H2H leader is 11th in the league in points. It makes up for the fact that H2H winners are needed but often not the best teams in the league, and the 3 best teams in each league (tops in points), deserve to make the playoffs in a 14 team league.
Last edited by JETS SB on Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:36 pm

Glenneration X wrote:
CALI CARTEL wrote:

I agree GX ... H2H-Bump idea = more fair and more fun. Won't make things perfectly fair, nothing will, but it moves us closer.

Route C

Post by Route C » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:48 am

Good points by everyone. I agree eliminating H2H would remove alot of weekly fun and I'm not totally suggesting that. All plays would be worth trying...even in a satellite format to see how owners like that structure. H2H..as we all agree....is sooooo random. with as many people who get on these boards year after year singing about how much skill is involved in this hobby that those same owners would want a system that rewarded their "skill".
Truth is most people know how much luck..fortune...randomness..etc is involved but they play anyway....I do!
I just wonder if the structure stayed the same and the reward for H2H champ was capped at $3500 with the bigger $$$$ going to points if it would come out more fair. "More fair" meaning the team that scores the highest gets paid the most without the random 3 week playoff.
One other thing.....I agree the top 3 teams in points are probably worthy of a playoff spot even if they fall outside the top 15%. Especially when in extreme leagues like mine this year.
I just want to be clear that this isn't sour grapes over my own teams. I will live and die with my own teams production. I'm not looking for a handout but these thoughts are based on my frustration with teams that are not very good getting paid such a large sum. ;)

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:15 am

Route C wrote:... the reward for H2H champ was capped at $3500 with the bigger $$$$ going to points if it would come out more fair. "More fair" meaning the team that scores the highest gets paid the most without the random 3 week playoff
What if the H2H champ was only a few points behind the points leader? Fair to cap his reward?