6 Viable Options For 2012 FAAB In The NFFC In 2012

BLACKHAND

Post by BLACKHAND » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:34 am

Originally posted by Cocktails and Dreams:
quote:Originally posted by THE_BLACKHAND:
quote:Originally posted by The Franchise:
quote:Originally posted by Sandman62:
So if I throw a bunch of darts on Wed. at players I don't expect to need for a few weeks, then on Fri. another player I had planned on starting this week - so I didn't pickup potential replacements for HIM - gets hurt. I'm stuck, unless there's a Fri. waiver run. I think a Friday FAAB makes sense, but as long as Wednesday is a full FAAB and not just Thursday players only.

Picking up players on Wednesday as opposed to Friday is not luck. I believe there is actually more skill involved. On Tuesday I already know what player/s I want to pickup on Friday. The only thing that changes is the bid amounts based on the market which is created by what FF sites put out there.
[/QUOTE]if you know on tues who you want on friday it kinda knocks down the extra work you and chad talk about. or do i misunderstand.
[/QUOTE]You misunderstand
[/QUOTE]chad , i know you have tons of teams in both leagues and high school football is important to you but going by what nelson said bout knowing by tues who you want seemed ez to me. just sent you a pm.

[ February 13, 2012, 03:46 PM: Message edited by: THE_BLACKHAND ]
THIS IS THE BUSINESS WE HAVE CHOSEN

Cocktails and Dreams

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:41 am

Would not care for Saturday coming into play. That should be a day for college football, not screwing around with free agents. Would not be fun trying to look for injury news while tailgating. Much prefer having tentative llineups set so I can enjoy the Saturday debauchery in peace, not trying to work wires during it. Friday has worked just fine over the years for this purpose.

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:02 am

Greg,

If waivers are once a week then I would think that we are either looking at Wednesday at 10 eastern or else Friday and let's just say 10 eastern.

If they are twice a week then let's say once again Wednesday at 10 and Friday at 10. The only remaining question is whether or not it's a full free agency on Wednesday or partial.

I think that we are pretty much down to this so I don't see the need to lay out any other options. Let's start narrowing in on a solution so that we can move forward. Most everyone on the boards has their mind made up as to what they like the best so it's not going anywhere re-hashing things.

Wayne

The Franchise

Post by The Franchise » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:13 am

Originally posted by THE_BLACKHAND:
quote:Originally posted by The Franchise:
quote:Originally posted by Sandman62:
So if I throw a bunch of darts on Wed. at players I don't expect to need for a few weeks, then on Fri. another player I had planned on starting this week - so I didn't pickup potential replacements for HIM - gets hurt. I'm stuck, unless there's a Fri. waiver run. I think a Friday FAAB makes sense, but as long as Wednesday is a full FAAB and not just Thursday players only.

Picking up players on Wednesday as opposed to Friday is not luck. I believe there is actually more skill involved. On Tuesday I already know what player/s I want to pickup on Friday. The only thing that changes is the bid amounts based on the market which is created by what FF sites put out there.
[/QUOTE]if you know on tues who you want on friday it kinda knocks down the extra work you and chad talk about. or do i misunderstand.
[/QUOTE]1. My feeling is that waivers need to be before the first game of the week (Thursday)

2. My feeling is that if I'm going to work on the waiver wire that it only makes sense to have "all" players available to look over and bid on.

3. My feeling is that I already know who I want by Tuesday, making Wednesday waivers a no-brainer for me

4. My feeling is that I don't need any added info between Wed and Fri which in turn makes Wednesday waivers again a no-brainer

5. My general feeling (which can be backed up with a little legwork) is that there is very little impact on injuries between Wed and Fri, making 2 full FAAB periods the way to go. -------------- Jules pointed this out earlier
Winning isn't everything, but the will to win is.

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:33 am

On my ride home from work, I was thinking more about this and I think I have to revise my position a bit - actually, though I hadn't seen this yet, to coincide with #2 above.

My original thought is that it's best to have as much info available as possible for as many players as possible, which suggests either a split Wed/Fri or a Fri-only waiver run. I don't think the Fri-only will work, as others have mentioned, teams who suffer injuries on Sun may not be able to replace players (due to byes, injuries, etc.). So I gravitated towards splitting this and only having Thurs game players available in the Wed run, followed by the remaining 30 teams in the Fri run.

But then I thought again of my example when explaining how the software could work to accommodate two waiver periods. And that same example leads me to believe that perhaps having less info for an early-week waiver run might be the lesser of the evils here?

Let's say I want to drop a WR for an upgrade. So I'm going to place multiple conditional bids, all dropping the same player. Something like this:
1) My top choice player, playing on Sun, $50
2) 2nd choice player, playing on Thur., $45
3-n) Others, $x

I can obviously do this in a format that has just one weekly waiver run - mix and match Thurs players with weekend players in the same conditional bid. But in a split-run scenario, I can't, because the software would have to potentially award me my 2nd choice during the first run of the week (because my top choice isn't available to acquire at that point).

Even separating the bids from the two bid periods won't help because I'd still have to decide on Wed night "Do I want to put a bid in on my 2nd choice because, if I don't, and I don't get my 1st choice on the late-week run, then I'm stuck with my 3rd? OR, do I want to forego any chance at my 2nd choice because I really want a shot at my 1st, in which case I would remove my 2nd choice Thurs player bid - but then if my 1st choice doesn't fall to me in the late-week run, I could be stuck with my 3rd!" Ugh! :eek:

I'm warming up to the Wed-only full waiver run. ;)

[ February 13, 2012, 04:40 PM: Message edited by: Sandman62 ]

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:51 am

Originally posted by Cocktails and Dreams:
Would not care for Saturday coming into play. That should be a day for college football, not screwing around with free agents. Would not be fun trying to look for injury news while tailgating. Much prefer having tentative llineups set so I can enjoy the Saturday debauchery in peace, not trying to work wires during it. Friday has worked just fine over the years for this purpose. I personally like the Saturday FAAB idea.

The fact is you could still do it on Friday night, BUT if you were going out (like you mentioned...HS football), then you could do it Saturday morning instead, or late Friday evening.

Let's face it, there is RARELY if any news of any importance released between 9:00 PM on Friday and Saturday at say 12:00.

Would just give everyone a little more flexibility.

[ February 13, 2012, 04:52 PM: Message edited by: BillyWaz ]

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:59 am

Originally posted by Sandman62:
On my ride home from work, I was thinking more about this and I think I have to revise my position a bit - actually, though I hadn't seen this yet, to coincide with #2 above.

My original thought is that it's best to have as much info available as possible for as many players as possible, which suggests either a split Wed/Fri or a Fri-only waiver run. I don't think the Fri-only will work, as others have mentioned, teams who suffer injuries on Sun may not be able to replace players (due to byes, injuries, etc.). So I gravitated towards splitting this and only having Thurs game players available in the Wed run, followed by the remaining 30 teams in the Fri run.

But then I thought again of my example when explaining how the software could work to accommodate two waiver periods. And that same example leads me to believe that perhaps having less info for an early-week waiver run might be the lesser of the evils here?

Let's say I want to drop a WR for an upgrade. So I'm going to place multiple conditional bids, all dropping the same player. Something like this:
3-n) Others, $x

I can obviously do this in a format that has just one weekly waiver run - mix and match Thurs players with weekend players in the same conditional bid. But in a split-run scenario, I can't, because the software would have to potentially award me my 2nd choice during the first run of the week (because my top choice isn't available to acquire at that point).

Even separating the bids from the two bid periods won't help because I'd still have to decide on Wed night "Do I want to put a bid in on my 2nd choice because, if I don't, and I don't get my 1st choice on the late-week run, then I'm stuck with my 3rd? OR, do I want to forego any chance at my 2nd choice because I really want a shot at my 1st, in which case I would remove my 2nd choice Thurs player bid - but then if my 1st choice doesn't fall to me in the late-week run, I could be stuck with my 3rd!" Ugh! :eek:

I'm warming up to the Wed-only full waiver run. ;) That really makes a lot of sense. I like the thought.

Wayne

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:08 am

Greg,

One more thing. While I think it's good that you have put out surveys, I hope that ultimately you make the decision and it's not based upon the results of a mass survey. Most people will fill out those things without giving it much thought and most probably haven't even glanced at this thread to consider the different possibilities.

Also, I really think that if I had someone like Chad who plays in tons of leagues then his opinion SHOULD matter more than someone who plays one league a year. Don't disregard everyone else but I think it has to be weighted.

If I was making a prediction here it would be that we end up with full Wed and Fri waivers. I'm just guessing.

Wayne

Shrink Attack

Post by Shrink Attack » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:27 am

I'm warming up to the Wed-only full waiver run. ;) Mike...I'm glad you finally decided to take your medicine... ;)
"Deserve" ain't got nothin' to do with it
---Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:52 am

3-n) Others, $x

Even separating the bids from the two bid periods won't help because I'd still have to decide on Wed night "Do I want to put a bid in on my 2nd choice because, if I don't, and I don't get my 1st choice on the late-week run, then I'm stuck with my 3rd? OR, do I want to forego any chance at my 2nd choice because I really want a shot at my 1st, in which case I would remove my 2nd choice Thurs player bid - but then if my 1st choice doesn't fall to me in the late-week run, I could be stuck with my 3rd!" Ugh! :eek: It's not a bad example, but I don't believe it would happen enough to warrant moving up free agency so early. If there IS a Thursday-game player you really want, think of it like an auction draft. You may be foregoing another player on Friday by picking up that player on Wednesday, but sometimes a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Or something like that.