Playoff System Protest

HOLLYWOODJAMES

Playoff System Protest

Post by HOLLYWOODJAMES » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:02 pm

This whole thread is ludicrous. Tell you what you whiners and crybabies...if you don't like the NFFC...go start your own competition. Sounds like we have a whole bunch of people who really suck at fantasy football. What's the matter? Too much work for you? You really think you're just going to be handed the prize money without doing any homework?

Changing the rules to make things more "fair" sounds more like you're too fricken lazy to go through all the stats necessary to make wise decisions.

If you want to play a game involving luck - PLAY BINGO...PLAY THE LOTTERY.

NFL players got where they are by doing the work and putting in the extra effort and Fantasy Football players (at least when there's money involved) need to have the same discipline.

They don't hand you the Lombardi Trophy...YOU HAVE TO EARN IT!!!
2011 Online Championship League Champion (Best record)

Money

Playoff System Protest

Post by Money » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:46 pm

I'm on the fence on this one. I know last year (my first) I didn't like it. This year is not so bad as I have a better team. There is probably a compromise to be had here. I'm all in favor of keeping as many teams and players interested for the longest period of time. No fun to sit through a month of football if your only rooting interest is the NFFC and you've been eliminated after week 13. I know, the consolation pool. It doesn't do it for most.

I say keep everything in tact and figure out a way to have playoffs for individual leagues where everyone qualifies and it returns about about half the entry to the winner, or something along those lines.
Joe

edelman24

Playoff System Protest

Post by edelman24 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:03 pm

I admit that I am a fan of the current system and I'm not looking to change anything, however this year in the classic my team got off to a slow start and I have no chance to catch any of the top 3 in points. My team is decent and I've won 6 in a row and stand at 7-3 but I virtually have no shot at winning anything considering the team leading is 9-1. My points say my team stinks but if I end up 9-3 tied for best record and get nothing for it, it's just disappointing. Even if it meant simply advancing to the championship round because I tied for best record but won no money for regular season prizes at least that gives me something to strive for right now. Just throwing it out there.

DoubleG

Playoff System Protest

Post by DoubleG » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:25 pm

maybe someone should start a fantasy football welfare event. have it so 6 teams win money in each 12 team league. :rolleyes:

wait a minute, then we'd hear complaints from the team who was 7th in points and how unfair it was he didn't win money.

mattjb

Playoff System Protest

Post by mattjb » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:44 pm

Originally posted by Glenneration X:
quote:Originally posted by mattjb:
quote:Originally posted by BillyWaz:
quote:Originally posted by mattjb:
How about this to keep everyone involved.

Move both all play weeks in the 12 team leagues to weeks 12 & 13.

If the combined points winner of those 2 weeks is not a play-off team after week 13 they get a wildcard to chase the big prize.

You're not giving them any league prize money but if they have a surging team they have a shot at the top money. Not rewarded any money, but reason to keep playing......I like it!!!
[/QUOTE]by getting all the head to head games played by week 11 it also means there are less 'free wins' against dead beat owners. weeks 1 & 2 are always going to have more integrity than 12 & 13.
[/QUOTE]This is a great and very innovative idea that resolves many of the concerns that have been posted in various threads on these boards in recent weeks.

For those who worry about teams that quit, this should help minimize that issue.
For those who want more teams to have a chance via a playoff system, this should provide that chance and a playoff type atmosphere in those final two weeks.

Great job.
[/QUOTE]Thanks Glenn.

I'm bumping this to get other feedback as it got lost in the back and forth.

Route Collectors

Playoff System Protest

Post by Route Collectors » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:53 pm

Originally posted by thegambler:
quote:Originally posted by BillyWaz:
If you like a 4 team playoff with 11 week regular season, play FFPC.

If you like a 2-3 team playoff with 13 week regular season, play NFFC.

If you like both.....play BOTH. :D everyone keeps saying if you want a playoff go play at the ffpc....what if i don't want to play there no matter what they have and this is really my only option? am i not allowd to voice my opinion on the subject without being told to go play elsewhere?

whats the sense of having a message boards if whenever someone wants to try something different they get told to play elsewhere?

there is not bend with you guys....it is either stay as pat or beat it. maybe i will have to look at other options next year
[/QUOTE]Hey gambler

My name is Jeff Clampitt. I think I have a pretty good rep around here so I'll try to help you out a bit.
I've been around since year one and I can tell you we've experienced a good deal of change...most of which came from suggestions on these boards.
I don't know if I would enjoy your format but I might give it a go on a smaller sample.

Greg has always been compliant with our desires to start private leagues and run them as through the NFFC.

How about initiating a satellite league with a $125 price point to try out your format. It would give us a chance to play it out and decide if we like the "tweek".

I'll commit to being your 1st entrant if you want to get it going.

Don't misunderstand the MB community we have here. Sure it's a little matter of fact but we've probably already discussed in previous years some topics the incoming crowd want to open up again.

Sometimes it's hard to re-hash old stuff but we really are glad you chose this event and I personally hope you play here for years to come. I think the bottom line is everyone has a voice here and if we want to grow we need to respect each persons ideas.

BTW....my own reasons for not gravitating toward your idea is I personally like total points as a measuring stick for the entire season but I will try your format if you set it up.

Welcome to the NFFC :D

fflmaster

Playoff System Protest

Post by fflmaster » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:03 pm

I think after reading most of the replies on here the majority of the MB posters prefer not to have a playoff system.

I also see Tom and Greg are looking at all ideas and I commend them for sending out surveys to ask it's players what they want.

Although I prefer a playoff system I agree with others and simply think you have two very good HSFF leagues out there.

That is why we have chocolate and vanilla.

However, I don't understand why every time someone wants to debate something it becomes more of an argument instead of a discussion. Seems to be who wants to bash who and don't like the rules go home.

I think we all want the best for HSFF.
its nice to be the master

fflmaster

Playoff System Protest

Post by fflmaster » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:07 pm

I think a very good idea was born in this thread.

Moving the all play to weeks 12 and 13 is a very good idea.

This should help in the terms of dead beat owners and those who want to throw a game.

Something I think Tom and greg should consider.
its nice to be the master

TR

Playoff System Protest

Post by TR » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:32 am

Originally posted by fflmaster:
I think a very good idea was born in this thread.

Moving the all play to weeks 12 and 13 is a very good idea.

This should help in the terms of dead beat owners and those who want to throw a game.

Something I think Tom and greg should consider. Agree this is a very good idea.

BLACKHAND

Playoff System Protest

Post by BLACKHAND » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:56 am

I know in this economy it is hard to ask people to pay more money but just to throw this out. what if the NFFC increases the fee to get in by 100 bucks and give out prize of say 120 bucks a week starting week 7 to high score and you can either collect this when checks are sent or put it in the post season pool as i think many would do. it gives you something to play for. just an idea.

[ November 17, 2011, 07:57 AM: Message edited by: THE_BLACKHAND ]
THIS IS THE BUSINESS WE HAVE CHOSEN