NFFC Early Season Draft Results

JETS SB

Re: NFFC Early Season Draft Results

Post by JETS SB » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:34 pm

David U Kennedy wrote:
boutrous11 wrote:too many good starts in 12 team leagues....
It would appear that way but I also see a lot of bad starts. Guys who take too many RBs early and ignore WRs in a PPR. I know WR looks deep this year and you can find decent ones well into round 8 but you cant draft Elite WR that late. 12 team leagues you need create edges on your team. You can start 4 WRs. If you can grab ay many 90 plus catch guys you are well on your way. I believe over drafting RBs is a mistake. Ryan Mathews, McFadden, Murray, no thank you. I know a DC draft is about depth here but your start is way more important.
Obviously you have a right to your opinion, but I disagree. Starting 4 out of 5 WRs is not my idea of a good start, not this year. Saying that you cannot get an elite WR in round 8 is not true either. I can list out, every year, many elite WRs who were drafted in round 8 or later. Not too many running backs, though.

Bottom line and I have said it before... rating your team at this point, in a 12 teamer, is just silly and cannot be considered anything other than a guess. Too many variables. Unless you completely tank the first 6 rounds, you have a chance to win.

David U Kennedy

Post by David U Kennedy » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:55 pm

JETS SB wrote:
David U Kennedy wrote:
boutrous11 wrote:too many good starts in 12 team leagues....
It would appear that way but I also see a lot of bad starts. Guys who take too many RBs early and ignore WRs in a PPR. I know WR looks deep this year and you can find decent ones well into round 8 but you cant draft Elite WR that late. 12 team leagues you need create edges on your team. You can start 4 WRs. If you can grab ay many 90 plus catch guys you are well on your way. I believe over drafting RBs is a mistake. Ryan Mathews, McFadden, Murray, no thank you. I know a DC draft is about depth here but your start is way more important.
Obviously you have a right to your opinion, but I disagree. Starting 4 out of 5 WRs is not my idea of a good start, not this year. Saying that you cannot get an elite WR in round 8 is not true either. I can list out, every year, many elite WRs who were drafted in round 8 or later. Not too many running backs, though.

Bottom line and I have said it before... rating your team at this point, in a 12 teamer, is just silly and cannot be considered anything other than a guess. Too many variables. Unless you completely tank the first 6 rounds, you have a chance to win.
I can see where you can get good wides later in a draft. Examples last year would be Randall Cobb, Reggie Wayne, and Denario Alexander to a lessor extent. When it comes to my money WRs are a safer bet to play 16 games. Whats the difference if you draft Calvin or AP point wise they are pretty close. Whose more likely to play 16 games? If you wait on receiver you are taking average points at your WR3 and flex position. 200 or so point players. Why not settle for average RB2 player instead. Avoiding injuries is part of my strategy. Wide Receivers are a safer bet and easier to predict. PPRs make it all more lucrative to draft WR early. I don't ignore Rbs I just don't over draft them. Avoiding pitfalls!!

That start of McCoy, Ballard, Dez, Andre, Wayne, and Colston could be deadly. His average or 200 point player is Ballard. Three of those Receivers could be top ten guys. Colston should be top 15. McCoy could be top 5 or better. Awsome start.

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:52 pm

How to win a DC....

1. Stay healthy

2. Stay Healthy

3. Stay Healthy

4. Hit on 1-2 breakout guys later in the draft

5. Stay Healthy

6. Balanced scoring - you can't take zero's at one position and win

7. Did I mention stay healthy?

Guys focus on the starts and I'm not sure it really matters a whole lot. In a 12 team league there are normally 3-4 teams that draft poorly and have little chance, there are about 3 teams that get killed by injuries, and this would leave 6-7 teams to compete for the title. Whoever hits the breakout guys while having decent scoring from each position wins.

Do I like the RB/WR/WR/WR/WR start? It can work but it would need a lot more than Vick Ballard playing at RB2 each week to win. I don't think he gets to 200 points and I wouldn't be surprised if they brought in Bradshaw. The problem with the heavy WR start (and I do it as well) is that you have to hit at RB2 later and there are far fewer options than guys you can be getting at WR during rounds 6-10 that you know will be contributing. But as usual, these all normally come down to projections and that's what makes it fun. I love guys like McFadden and Murray while others may hate those guys. I want the upside and I'm not worried about finishing last.

Wayne

David U Kennedy

Post by David U Kennedy » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:34 pm

Good points Coltsfan. There are many ways to win these drafts. I hope my draft strategy will be a minority one. All the better for me. Murray, McFadden, Mathews rounds 3-5? Give me Roddy, Nelson, and Cobb.

The Franchise

Post by The Franchise » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:05 pm

David U Kennedy wrote:Good points Coltsfan. There are many ways to win these drafts. I hope my draft strategy will be a minority one. All the better for me. Murray, McFadden, Mathews rounds 3-5? Give me Roddy, Nelson, and Cobb.

Put me in the group of guys with "bad starts" to their draft, because I always go RB heavy. Always felt that it was the best, most consistent way to compete and win in these DC's. I guess I could be wrong and have wasted all those drafts.

Humor me. I respect your opinion on these DC's. So on paper I start a team ........
1. Calvin
2. Dem. Thomas
3. DMC
4. Murray
5. Mathews
6. Stafford
7. Britt
8. Vereen
9. Ingram
10. Finley

Would you consider that RB heavy? If so, does that team look much worse to you than a team who didn't go RB heavy? Obviously we are in June and there is a long ways to go. Guys lose jobs, win jobs and get injured. At the time when you are passing on those guys or another RB it might feel safe to you, but it's all about team construction. In the end what does the team look like? Ballard as a #2 RB I don't think works. Looks even worse now that Bradshaw looks like he is about to sign. That team has to get lucky that he took a handcuff RB of a starter who gets injured during the year (early preferably before bye weeks). Plenty of good #2 and #3 WR's out there later that will put up a big game any given week. Can't say the same about back up RB's where those #2 and #3 WR's go......
Winning isn't everything, but the will to win is.

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:40 pm

Last Friday I start out the DC draft with 4 RB's in the first 6 rounds?

McCoy
Lynch
Miller
Lacy

Then I was still able to get Andre and Jordy. I actually liked this start and while other people were taking shots at RB in rounds 7-11 I was able to get guys that I know will be on the field this year.

In a draft a week earlier I went:

TRich
Dez
Andre
Jordy
Leveon
Torry

In this draft I have to take shots at RB3 with guys like Mendy and Ben Tate in rounds 8-10. It could be explosive if Foster goes down but I don't like this start any better than the other. I think the strong WR start was much better when it was only .5 ppr for RB's. I guess there is more than one way to do it but when I looked back at my DC's from last year I personally seemed to do better going RB's heavy to start even though when I drafted I seemed to like the early WR teams better.

Wayne

David U Kennedy

Post by David U Kennedy » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:08 pm

It can definitely work either way. My biggest point is that WRs are more reliable. If you draft WRs early there is a 50% more chance they stay healthy. In a DC if you grab 4 or 5 backup RBs like M. Bush, M Reese, Gerhart, Turbin, Tate, or K hunter one or 2 of them should step into a prominent role. You don't see that with WRs. Elite receivers don't get replaced like RBS do. WRs generally play 16 games and RBs don't. That's the difference. It boils down to probability.

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:19 pm

David U Kennedy wrote:It can definitely work either way. My biggest point is that WRs are more reliable. If you draft WRs early there is a 50% more chance they stay healthy. In a DC if you grab 4 or 5 backup RBs like M. Bush, M Reese, Gerhart, Turbin, Tate, or K hunter one or 2 of them should step into a prominent role. You don't see that with WRs. Elite receivers don't get replaced like RBS do. WRs generally play 16 games and RBs don't. That's the difference. It boils down to probability.

It's funny but when I read your post it almost seems like what you're saying is that you should go RB heavy first:) Elite WR's don't get replaced like RB's do but so it seems to me that you are better off with stud RB's since the chances are much less of them getting replaced. How will the Vick Ballard teams be looking tomorrow if Bradshaw signs in Indy?

Maybe you're better at mid round RB's that I am. I sure don't have a 40-50% success rate of them becoming prominent. I would like to see some of your drafts to see who you have been taking :D . If I take a mid round RB then you should probably just avoid that player the rest of the year lol.

Wayne

David U Kennedy

Post by David U Kennedy » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:25 pm

Coltsfan wrote:Last Friday I start out the DC draft with 4 RB's in the first 6 rounds?

McCoy
Lynch
Miller
Lacy

Then I was still able to get Andre and Jordy. I actually liked this start and while other people were taking shots at RB in rounds 7-11 I was able to get guys that I know will be on the field this year.

In a draft a week earlier I went:

TRich
Dez
Andre
Jordy
Leveon
Torry

In this draft I have to take shots at RB3 with guys like Mendy and Ben Tate in rounds 8-10. It could be explosive if Foster goes down but I don't like this start any better than the other. I think the strong WR start was much better when it was only .5 ppr for RB's. I guess there is more than one way to do it but when I looked back at my DC's from last year I personally seemed to do better going RB's heavy to start even though when I drafted I seemed to like the early WR teams better.

Wayne
Nice draft. My favorite of the 3 drafts Ive done so far went:

Calvin
A. Rodgers
Roddy
Sproles
Nelson
Ivory

Your drafting isn't much diff from mine. Not too RB heavy but T Rich is a guy I would avoid.

Another start went like this:

D. Martin
Chris J.
R. Cobb
V. Jax
Luck
P. Garcon
S. Johnson
L. Moore
I don't over reach for a RB3.

David U Kennedy

Post by David U Kennedy » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:32 pm

50 percent chance more that a WR plays 16 games compared to a RB. Roughly of course