NFFC Satellite League Results

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:13 am

Originally posted by 4D:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
[qb] [QUOTE]Originally posted by 4D:
[qb] [QUOTE] Greg, as far as the 14 team format, I'm talking about people that I talk to that give their reason for ot joining as, believe it or not, I do recommend the NFFC to all my friends that play ff. My point was just if you were looking to explode your signups I think that would be a far quicker way than 3RR. No doubt about it, but there was already a 12-team high-stakes event before the NFFC came around. And I already had a 15-team baseball event, so I liked the larger, tougher league format when I devised the rules in 2004. I agree, I could grow much faster if I went to a 12-team format, but I'm not worried about being the biggest football event right now. That's not my goal. Hell, with baseball and football, Tom and I can barely keep up with the leagues we have now. ;)

I'm looking for a great event and a competitive contest. Maybe some day I'll try that 12-team format, maybe not!! ;)
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Nag'

Post by Nag' » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:27 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
You and Nag each have the 12th pick in the WCOFF, so at season's end let me know if 3RR would have benefitted you or not. If I will do poorly in WCOFF from the 12 slot, it means I drafted poorly, not that I needed assistance from an artificially created source to help me succeed.

But that's just the way I see things. Other opinions seem to vary.
For Players. By Players.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:28 am

Originally posted by Nag':
[qb] [QUOTE]Originally posted by Nag':
[qb] [QUOTE]If 2004 season was the year LT2 had the record breaking year instead of 2006 and the final stats from 2006 looked like the ones above, would there have been 3RR in 2007? Alex, this doesn't make any sense. If LT2 had the record breaking year in 2004 and I was as smart as I am now, we would have had KDS/3RR in 2005. So the answer would be yes, because once we went with 3RR there was no turning back!!
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:30 am

quote:Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
You and Nag each have the 12th pick in the WCOFF, so at season's end let me know if 3RR would have benefitted you or not. If I will do poorly in WCOFF from the 12 slot, it means I drafted poorly, not that I needed assistance from an artificially created source to help me succeed.

[/QUOTE]I only ask because if you had the first pick last year and did well and have the 12th pick this year, nobody will have a better idea of the effects of no-3RR than you. Like I said, it will be a great column on Lou's site. Good luck again this year.

Nag'

Post by Nag' » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:35 am

quote:Originally posted by Nag':
[qb] [QUOTE]If 2004 season was the year LT2 had the record breaking year instead of 2006 and the final stats from 2006 looked like the ones above, would there have been 3RR in 2007? Alex, this doesn't make any sense. If LT2 had the record breaking year in 2004 and I was as smart as I am now, we would have had KDS/3RR in 2005. So the answer would be yes, because once we went with 3RR there was no turning back!!
[/QUOTE]So had you been given that opportunity, you would've installed 3RR based on ONE SINGLE year of top pick dominance due to a record breaking year by one player?

Wow, now you really amaze me.
For Players. By Players.

mkrucek

Post by mkrucek » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:36 am

[/QUOTE]Then this IS the LT rule? :D
You'll be fine long as your pretty face holds out, then it's gonna get pretty cold out...

Nag'

Post by Nag' » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:42 am

I only ask because if you had the first pick last year and did well...I had the 1 pick last year and did well, that is correct. I also ran away from my the rest my league and made the LCG by over 200 pts so I did it because I drafted well the entire draft and made wise WW decisions. Getting 30 pts/week from LT2 was overkill.

My success from the 12 slot this year or any other slot will depend on me and ONLY me. If I draft and manage my team well, I succeed. If not, I fail. It's that simple.

[ August 17, 2007, 03:43 PM: Message edited by: Nag' ]
For Players. By Players.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:43 am

[/QUOTE]So had you been given that opportunity, you would've installed 3RR based on ONE SINGLE year of top pick dominance due to a record breaking year by one player?

Wow, now you really amaze me.
[/QUOTE]Alex, I didn't enter the fantasy football market in 2004. I've been doing this for a living since 1989, more than almost anyone else in this industry. I was at WCOFF in 2002 when everyone wanted Marshall Faulk and felt the No. 1 teams had an advantage. I've been drafting long enough to know how dominant Emmitt Smith, Faulk, Priest Holmes and others were through the years.

So when I designed the 14-team format, I knew for a fact that the bottom end of the draft would be perceived as less valuable than the top end of the draft, moreso than in a 12-team league format. And sure enough, as soon as we announced the picks, guys called and said things like "thanks for taking my $1250 Ambrosius." Heck, in fact I remember a call from a Mr. Gekko who wasn't too pleased about the 13th spot. So I knew the feedback long before I saw the 2004 results, Alex.

Our baseball participants still don't like the back-end, but you can win from there in baseball. You can win from the back-end in football, too, but again for $1300 you should at least have the best shot possible of winning from any spot. I think KDS/3RR does that and I wish I had unveiled it in 2004 when the NFFC started. I didn't then, so crucify me now!! For some reason, you feel 3RR is unnecessary, but let's give it a go with two different formats and let the participants decide if they like it. I think both are good formats, which is why we have two completely different high-stakes formats, a dream for consumers who like choices.

KOTRAX

Post by KOTRAX » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:43 am

[/QUOTE]HEY NAG I WOULD NOT SAY YOU DRAFTED POORLY IF YOU DID NOT DO WELL FROM THE 12 SPOT IN THE WCOFF. AS YOU KNOW THE NUCLEUS OF YOUR TEAM WILL BE FROM THAT 12/13 PICK. NOW ONE COULD HAVE TOOK CADILLAC AND LAMONT JORDAN THERE LAST YEAR WHICH WERE JUSTIFIABLE AND GOOD PICKS BUT THEY FLOPPED. NOW WITH THAT BEING SAID IT IS MUCH MORE DIFFICULT TO WEED OUT THOSE TYPE OF PLAYERS VS PICKING AN LT OR LJ. THIS YEAR YOU A LOOKING AT MARONEY, MAGAHEE, HENRY, R.BROWN AND OR TWO TOP FLIGHT RECEIVERS. NOT IF BOTH AND I MEAN BOTH DON'T COME THROUGH YOUR CHANCES ARE HARDER THAN GETTING A STUD FROM THE TOP OF THE DRAFT. SO I HAVE TO DISAGREE AND SAY IF YOU DIDN'T DO WELL IT WASN'T BECAUSE OF POOR DRAFTING.

[ August 17, 2007, 03:45 PM: Message edited by: KOTRAX ]

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:45 am

Originally posted by 4D:
[/QUOTE]Then this IS the LT rule? :D
[/QUOTE]This is like a Saturday Night Live skit from the '70s, where if you're old enough to remember I now say, "Jane you ignorant sl--!!"