Quitters ruin this contest....

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:26 pm

Could the O.P. please change the title of this thread to either "Quitters ruin this contest" or "Quitter ruins this contest"?

Thanks in advance.

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:27 pm

I hope OUR luck continues! :D

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:28 pm

Originally posted by Gekko:
quote:Originally posted by BillyWaz:
There is ALWAYS going to be an exception to the rule, Mark!
not in baseball
[/QUOTE]Because they play a full season and don't reset.

I agree there is a "bit" of luck in H2H, and there would be MUCH more in baseball if they went H2H......talk about teams quitting! :eek:

You aren't going to find many high stakes football games out there that don't utilize H2H.

You are never going to get a game to play with the EXACT specifications that you want. I hope you realize that.

Fanball, Mark!!! It's like the mother ship calling you home! :D

Gordon Gekko II

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:30 pm

Originally posted by BillyWaz:
Well, I am on pace to make it to the championship round again in the Classic (albeit currently as the #3 seed).

I have always said there is more strategy in the 14 team event (nothing to do with my success). For the same reasons you feel the 15 team baseball event is more strategy than the 12 team.

I also use the 14 team model because the Primetime hasn't even completed 2 full seasons, and the Classic has 5 full seasons under it's belt.

I think you would agree that MORE DATA/MORE YEARS would show which players have more skill.....er uh I mean "better luck"? so to summarize:
*14 team leagues are more skill than 12 team leagues
*the 3 week sprint for the 100K is a "lottery"
*you use an 80% double your money payback model in 14 team leagues
*what is the double your money payback % you use for 12 team leagues?

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:36 pm

I disagree with the lottery assessment. While the final 3 weeks is a bit of a luckfest, the good teams realistically have a much better chance than 1-in-60. Consider the regular season standings of the previous champions:

2004: Teenage Wasteland - 8th place
2005: Gantze Machers - 1st place
2006: Teds Cracked Head - 18th place
2007: Go Gettas - 23rd place
2008: Recovery Boys - 8th place

Yes, it is possible that a bottom-feeder could sneak in and dominate for 3 weeks. However, in five years of the contest, it has yet to happen.

Bottom line: the teams who skillfully guided their teams (via draft, FA and lineup decisions) to a high point total have a better than average chance of winning.

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:51 pm

Totally agree Glenn.

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:59 pm

Originally posted by King of Queens:
I disagree with the lottery assessment. While the final 3 weeks is a bit of a luckfest, the good teams realistically have a much better chance than 1-in-60. Consider the regular season standings of the previous champions:

Yes, it is possible that a bottom-feeder could sneak in and dominate for 3 weeks. However, in five years of the contest, it has yet to happen.

Bottom line: the teams who skillfully guided their teams (via draft, FA and lineup decisions) to a high point total have a better than average chance of winning. We had this discussion privately, Glenn, and I said "lottery" was a poor choice of words.

I agree with this also. However, I do feel it is the highest "luck" component in this contest.

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:03 pm

There's definitely a luck element to it, but like Glenn said, in practice, the better teams will usually continue to thrive in the playoffs.

I still like the sound of that Fanball league, in addition to NFFC, not in place of.

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:04 pm

quote:Originally posted by King of Queens:

Bottom line: the teams who skillfully guided their teams (via draft, FA and lineup decisions) to a high point total have a better than average chance of winning. We had this discussion privately, Glenn, and I said "lottery" was a poor choice of words.

I agree with this also. However, I do feel it is the highest "luck" component in this contest.
[/QUOTE]Just trying to clear your name! :D

Gordon Gekko II

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:29 pm

We had this discussion privately, Glenn, and I said "lottery" was a poor choice of words.
that IS good to hear. i also don't agree that it is a full scale lottery.