Would You Be In Favor Of Ranking Your Draft Spots?

TradeStar28

Post by TradeStar28 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:29 pm

BTW- you can win the entire NFFC from any draft slot

Even the 11th !

weeeeeeeeeee
2012 - FI$HER - Flying High Again

renman

Post by renman » Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:31 pm

gekko,

i am not sure what you are ranting about regarding holmes/handcuff... the more teams who did not handcuff holmes with johnson or blaylock only supports MY POINT that having the NUMBER ONE PICK last year hurt them more then helped when holmes went down and those who picked first had their entire season tied to him due to having picks 1 and 28.

my point is that you seem to think who gets the first pick has this enormous advantage... i feel that the advantage is smaller, and varies from year to year as some years he who has the first pick has a DISADVANTAGE which can be proven by how many people over the years have had the first pick and finished poorly. both injury and not getting a second pick until the end of round two can end up being a bad break too... it varies season to season.

my "caring less" that you dismissed regarding drawing the last pick in the derby style greg came up with was followed up by logical points that you shockingly ignored...lol i care less about drawing the 14th turn in the derby system because i would likely get my 5th -10th favorite draft positions... not my 14th... i obviously prefer to get my first choice. in the mean time, i have had some control over my draft position, i had to decide where on the draft board i most wanted to be slotted, i have had some fun prior to the draft anticipating what spot i got... and i was not randomly put in a spot without my input at all as we currently are...

i see no negative to this...

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:33 pm

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
CURRENT RANDOM SYSTEM:
Every draft slot is chosen randomly. No owner gains an advantage based on their draft slot preferences. In this regard, this system is fair to all owners. Just because owners don't enter their preferred slot position, some will be randomly getting their most preferred, while others will be getting their least preferred. So in the same sense as the Derby method, the current system is unfair.

PROPOSED KENTUCKY DUFUS SYSTEM:
The law of averages say that some owners will get their top-end draft slot preferences, while other owners get their low-end draft slot preferences, and finally the 14th owner gets no say in their draft slot. he gets the leftover slot. In this regard, there is no way this system is fair to all owners. Again, the law of averages also say that some owners will get their preferred slots using the random method, and others will get least preferred slots.

So really what's the difference?

The answer is that more owners will get a slot they like, whether they are randomly chosen first or near the end, because they'll have some input into the process.

You could argue the exception would be the last selected owner. However, assuming that most owners prefer not to pick last, but a few do, odds are that even the last random selection would get a slot he likes better because it won't be #14, which most people don't want.

[ October 17, 2005, 11:44 PM: Message edited by: KJ Duke ]

CC's Desperados

Post by CC's Desperados » Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:37 pm

GG, I'm confused and I don't really care what happens, but doesn't the first person right now get the first pick. So the first owner can only take a lesser of pick if he choses, and the 14th owner get the last pick no matter what right now. So if he gets even the 13 pick, it's an improvement. This system has to be at least a little improvement. In bidding for spots, what happen if 6 teams bid zero for last six spot....This is alway a problem when the #1 draft lives up to everyone expectations. This year it seems there are two elite players, those teams have an edge what can you do. It might only get them to the play-offs. As I said last year, bidding on spots will be an edge to people who have played before. It would take a few years for everyone to figure it out, by then you would have stollen our money again!!!!

TradeStar28

Post by TradeStar28 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:53 pm

Srebo -

Titans receiver Drew Bennett had surgery today to repair his dislocated left thumb. Titans Coach Jeff Fisher said Bennett will be out “an indefinite period of time.’’ Doctors inserted a pin into the thumb today. Bennett has been ruled out of Sunday’s game at Arizona and Fisher wasn’t optimistic about the fifth-year pro playing any time soon. (The Tennessean)
2012 - FI$HER - Flying High Again

renman

Post by renman » Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:55 pm

the main point that keeps getting missed is that where you draft from is a MINIMAL advantage and changes from year to year...

if we are randomly given draft positions someone will always think someone else had some advantage regardless of if other owners had "control" over it. and in a high stakes event that could over time irritate some who repeatedly draw a draft position they do not like and consider the reason they have not had success.

the derby system, to me, offers owners some control over where on the draft board they end up... as i said before... it is not about owners having control over where OTHER owners draft from.. it is about having some control over where YOU draft from. and the owner that draws the last turn in the derby system is still likely to be slotted in a spot he is happier with then being slotted in his least favorite spot as everyones list of preferences will differ...