Having input in draft slot selection

richieprimo

Post by richieprimo » Wed Sep 29, 2004 11:17 am

Tom is absolutely correct with his perspective on this. Draft position is on the lower rung of fantasy success. Knowledge (or lack thereof) and staying healthy are the major factors in the success of your team. I'm sure that we have all won leagues from various draft positions, and having a top-three pick doesn't guarantee a winning team. Anyway, whatever you decide, please count me in on a mid-season league if it comes to fruition. I'm always looking to make a donation for the cause. ;) Let me know.
Paying Top Dollar For All 12 and 10 cent Superhero Comics. Send PM...You may have money packed in your garage or attic.

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Wed Sep 29, 2004 11:47 am

Just caught the tail end of this discussion, but I would be in favor of something that allows for selection of draft position rather than random assignment.

Whether bidding on position (a contained weighted system though, not FAAB), or having the initial random selection lead to each owner having their choice in that order (rather than assignment). Either would be a nice improvement.

How important draft slot is to winning (statistically or theoretically) is not the issue ... which hotel everyone stays at the night before probably won't correlate with who wins the contest either, but that doesn't mean I want to be assigned a hotel.

lichtman

Post by lichtman » Wed Sep 29, 2004 11:57 am

Gordon --

Completely separate from the value of your idea, I am stunned that you have the balls to be so nasty/smarmy/obnoxious to Tom. Where do you get off? These guys have busted their asses for all of us, and indulged you and your ego to no end.

And you know what else, you dismiss UFS with you faux wit, but he may very well be the single most knowledgeable person in the entire world when it comes to running fantasy leagues. And that's no exaggeration.

Everything with you is how savvy you are at fantasy football and how busy and important you are in your real life. Yet you've managed to make 600 posts to this message board in only a few months and your response time to most people's comments indicates a near perpetual presence on these boards.

You're like the kid we all knew in 10th grade who talked constantly about how much he hooked up with girls when everyone knew he could barely complete a sentence in a girl's presence. Or, for all we know based on your wit and maturity, you could actually be that 10th grader.
Hello. My name is Lee Scoresby. I come from Texas, like flying hot-air balloons, being eaten by talking polar bears and fantasy football.

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:14 pm

Originally posted by I Cojones:
Completely separate from the value of your idea, I am stunned that you have the balls to be so nasty/smarmy/obnoxious to Tom. Where do you get off? These guys have busted their asses for all of us, and indulged you and your ego to no end. a lot of things stun you, so i'm not surprised. greg/tom know that i support and value everything they have done. you take 1 post out of the countless ones that i've posted about them doing a GREAT job and you try and use that as leverage against me. shame on you. again, you are a follower, not a leader. but that's okay, the world can't be made up of all leaders.

And you know what else, you dismiss UFS with you faux wit, but he may very well be the single most knowledgeable person in the entire world when it comes to running fantasy leagues. And that's no exaggeration. if you read my posts, i asked for his help. you seem to be good with selective memory. you should really change your tune on the MB. you are getting almost as bad as nnoy. no BS

Everything with you is how savvy you are at fantasy football and how busy and important you are in your real life. Yet you've managed to make 600 posts to this message board in only a few months and your response time to most people's comments indicates a near perpetual presence on these boards. thanks for noticing. i guess you have the time to keep up on things like that.

You're like the kid we all knew in 10th grade who talked constantly about how much he hooked up with girls when everyone knew he could barely complete a sentence in a girl's presence. Or, for all we know based on your wit and maturity, you could actually be that 10th grader. ga...gaaa..gaa..gaaaaa....

[ September 29, 2004, 06:14 PM: Message edited by: Gordon Gekko ]
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:16 pm

Originally posted by Al Swearengen:
Tom is absolutely correct with his perspective on this. Draft position is on the lower rung of fantasy success. Knowledge (or lack thereof) and staying healthy are the major factors in the success of your team. we don't have any control over injuries so why are people bringing that up. we could have some control over draft slots. some control has to be better than none.

JerseyPaul

Post by JerseyPaul » Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:03 pm

Let's be nice but for the record:

Based on my observations there is a lot of mutual respect between Tom/Greg and Gordan. Gordan has been supportive from the beginning. Their relationship is strong enough that comments can be punctuated with sarcasm for emphasis and it won't be taken personally (by either party).

The argument as to the value or lack of value of draft position is spurious since if it doesn't matter, then nobody should care how it is assigned.

The real issue is a business issue. In this early stage of the development of the industry, industry pioneers want the product simple to understand and close to the experience of the target customer. They are looking for 100% or 200% growth rates over the next few years.

We, the experienced players have a somewhat different agenda. We want to minimize luck by maximizing control over every decision.

The two objectives may be at odds (no pun) with each other, at least for the next year or two.

I think our trying out ideas in limited leagues with real prizes is a great way to accelerate the evolution of the product.

richieprimo

Post by richieprimo » Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:11 pm

Seconded...let's get this thing started, buying draft slots or not. I'm ready and waitng.
Paying Top Dollar For All 12 and 10 cent Superhero Comics. Send PM...You may have money packed in your garage or attic.

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:16 pm

JP - you are right on pt. well done!

Dyv

Post by Dyv » Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:30 pm

I think there's a simple fact here that seems to be neglected.

It's not 'POWER' that matters, but one's perception of such. If someone (Gordon) feels that draft position is a significant part of the game, then let him have it. If others (?) feel it is 'totally' irrelevant, then take the fantastic advantage of more FA money than everyone else and be THRILLED with this notion. My gosh, if I wanted the #10 pick and could get that slot while the league spends 40% of it's FA budget then I'm in absolute HEAVEN.

To each their own, but SATISFACTION by all owners is improved. Tell me the negative of increased customer satisfaction? I dare you ;)

For the record, before the WCOFF 2 yrs. ago I had never played in a league of any type in 12 years that had a Free Agent budget system.
The Wonderful thing about Dyv's is I'm the only one!

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:51 pm

Gordon --

Completely separate from the value of your idea, I am stunned that you have the balls to be so nasty/smarmy/obnoxious to Tom. Where do you get off? These guys have busted their asses for all of us, and indulged you and your ego to no end.

Just so we're all clear, I took no offense at Gordon's comment because I had no reason to believe he was being nasty or smarmy to me. Gordon has a sardonic way to his commentary which I have no problem with because I'm also very much a smart ass in my own right. :D Seriously, though, I appreciate your desire to side with me, but it wasn't necessary in this instance since Gordon and I were merely having some fun and discussing the topic at hand in our own distinctive ways.

As Robert Brooks used to tell me on a daily basis when I covered the Packers ... "It's all good."
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich