Draft Process: Are You In Favor Of A Change?

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:45 pm

Originally posted by renman:
gekko...

his question was totally reasonable, logical, and written fine. thats the exact kind of stuff this board does not need. sorry
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:53 pm

you asked a brilliant question. can you rephrase his question?

he probably could not think of that answer, so i am helping him out. if i knew the question, i'd post the answer.

gekko seems more into owners having a "say" in what pick they get what what pick others get.i'd like every owner to be able to have some input on their draft slot. not 13 out of 14 owners...ALL owners

this thread was started by greg and should have been able to morph into a productive and healthy discussion of the different methods we could use to enhance this passion we all have for the fantasy football experience. i agree. it's a pity that some of these MB folks take things so far. must be the constant degradation of society is making it's way to the MB

but unlike gekko, i am not thinking about ME first. i am thinking about this event GROWING first. EVERY owner wins with BBDS. you haven't figured that out yet?

now can someone PLEASE address the logical and productive points i just made... see above points

[ October 28, 2005, 09:54 PM: Message edited by: Gordon Gekko ]

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:09 pm

even though with the derby style owners DO have a say... and the guy selected 14 will never be left with his 14th favorite spot. never? you're wrong on that point as well.

dgamblnman

Post by dgamblnman » Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:08 pm

GG, written just fine... and still no answer...

It is funny how you did the same thing (dodge my direct questions) in the baseball forum and they are still left in limbo.

I'll try to dummy the question down for you..

In your proposal, will an owner end up recieving his least prefered choice of draft slots (his last choice)? Meaning, he was outbid on his top 13 picks and ends up with his #14 on his list and he ends up with his least desired position?

All I want is a yes or no...

dgamblnman

Post by dgamblnman » Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:20 pm

EVERY owner wins with BBDS. you haven't figured that out yet?

I LOVE THIS STATEMENT!!!!!!!

The person who is outbid 13 times WILL NOT WIN

Think about this, more than one person could end up with thier least favorite position... hmmmmm

[ October 29, 2005, 12:20 AM: Message edited by: Vega$ Gambler$ ]

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:19 am

Originally posted by Vega$ Gambler$:
It is funny how you did the same thing (dodge my direct questions) in the baseball forum and they are still left in limbo.i haven't dodged you phil. try answering this question... iojwE;'GWIEYJOIP. SJIOWI;E;, IURU?
I know yours wasn't written that bad, but it was close.

I'll try to dummy the question down for you..thanks for rephrasing and reposting. i sense you determined your initial question was "choppy" at best

In your proposal, will an owner end up recieving his least prefered choice of draft slots (his last choice)? Meaning, he was outbid on his top 13 picks and ends up with his #14 on his list and he ends up with his least desired position?

All I want is a yes or no... ANSWER: IMPOSSIBLE TO DETERMINE. They might or they might not. in any case, this does nothing to harm the BBDS system. BBDS is all about giving owners (customers) some direct input into their draft slot selection. the MARKET should determine draft slot allocation (just like it does for FA).

if you don't get one of your most preferred slots in BBDS, it's because you didn't bid enough (or value enough) those slots.

if you don't get one of your most preferred slots in kentucky dufus, it's simply because tom didn't randomly pull your name out of a hat quick enough.

VG - a question for you...
would you be in favor of using either
(1) the kentucky dufus method
or
(2) a 100% random method
to determine the weekly allocation of free agents?

thanks in advance for your time.

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:23 am

EVERY owner wins with BBDS. you haven't figured that out yet?

I LOVE THIS STATEMENT!!!!!!!

The person who is outbid 13 times WILL NOT WIN

Think about this, more than one person could end up with thier least favorite position... hmmmmm the person who is outbid 13 times can only blame themselves, but will also start with more free agent dollars than every other owner. again, the market will decide allocation of resources, just like it does for FA and in the real world phil.

Superpion

Post by Superpion » Sat Oct 29, 2005 5:49 am

gekko,

and you also ignore the fact that adding something complex like bbds could deter new unsettled owners from joining...

Renman,

I don't think that any of the proposed mainstream ideas for draft order could be categorized as complex. They are basic and easy to understand. I will acknowledge that some of these may be DIFFERENT methods than most are accustomed to but I would hardly classify them as complex.

To your point that the BBDS could scare away newbies, I will reiterate my disagreement with this b/c if a newbie is willing to take the time to actually read the rules, then they should understand it rather easily and not be intimidated. The greater likelihood, however, is that they will gloss over the rules and BBDS will not be an area that captures their attention nor will they base their decision to enter or not to enter around the draft order process.

It is my prediction that people will sign up if they like the idea of participating in a 14 team high stakes competition and that they'll focus on entry fees, prize $$$$, lineup requirements and scoring rules. It is at the time that they need to submit their BBDS bids that they will be on the message board asking for advice.....

Greg and Tom will then explain what is already in the rules and others on the message board will use it as fodder to haze the new guy....

No big deal to me.

What I want to know is: Are there any other reasons that anyone can come with up to not use BBDS other than Renman's contention (which I've just argued against) or the don't fix what's not broken argument?

IMO, BBDS is superior b/c everyone has a chance at every draft slot and people have to pay a premium to get the most coveted spots.
"We see you've been missing a lot of work lately".

"I wouldnt say I've been missing it Bob". ---OFFICE SPACE

Superpion

Post by Superpion » Sat Oct 29, 2005 5:59 am

Originally posted by Doomsday Express:
I haven't been active at all on the message boards this year but have lurked all season long and read a few posts here and there to see how things are going.

I'm not into picking draft slots as I believe in the random picks being part of fantasy football for serpentine drafts. That stated, I do like the idea of bidding for the draft spots but with a caveat:

We're given $1,000 to bid on draft positions but whatever monies are leftover from what was not used to bid, are awarded to the respective teams.

So if someone truly doesn't care, they don't have to bid and would theoretically receive $2K to play with during the season with waivers. Whereas if someone really wanted the No. 1 or No. 14 slot, they could bid on it and would get and receive arguably the premiere player or best spot in the draft. However, this move would cost them potential dollars to be used during the regular season in waivers.

Just my two cents but this is interesting in what Greg is trying to do. It could alienate or propel the NFFC to great glory.

The one thing I don't care for is to have to use monies designated for waiver wire to be used differently. I think doing it the way I suggested doesn't penalize anyone but rewards those that don't view draft position as relevant as others.

I'm sure this has many flaws and has probably been brought up already but figured I'd toss it out.

Thanks for the time and Greg and Tom, great job once again this year. Respectfully, all that this would do is cut the value of free agency dollar in half. It would change the base amount for the year from $1000 to $2000. Whether we did one of these or moved it down to $500 or up to $5000, everyone would be dealing with the same starting point to allocate towards (in this scenario) BBDS and free agents. We only would have changed the multiple of the currency that we were using.
"We see you've been missing a lot of work lately".

"I wouldnt say I've been missing it Bob". ---OFFICE SPACE

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:19 am

Originally posted by Superpion:
quote:Originally posted by Doomsday Express:
I haven't been active at all on the message boards this year but have lurked all season long and read a few posts here and there to see how things are going.

I'm not into picking draft slots as I believe in the random picks being part of fantasy football for serpentine drafts. That stated, I do like the idea of bidding for the draft spots but with a caveat:

We're given $1,000 to bid on draft positions but whatever monies are leftover from what was not used to bid, are awarded to the respective teams.

So if someone truly doesn't care, they don't have to bid and would theoretically receive $2K to play with during the season with waivers. Whereas if someone really wanted the No. 1 or No. 14 slot, they could bid on it and would get and receive arguably the premiere player or best spot in the draft. However, this move would cost them potential dollars to be used during the regular season in waivers.

Just my two cents but this is interesting in what Greg is trying to do. It could alienate or propel the NFFC to great glory.

The one thing I don't care for is to have to use monies designated for waiver wire to be used differently. I think doing it the way I suggested doesn't penalize anyone but rewards those that don't view draft position as relevant as others.

I'm sure this has many flaws and has probably been brought up already but figured I'd toss it out.

Thanks for the time and Greg and Tom, great job once again this year. Respectfully, all that this would do is cut the value of free agency dollar in half. It would change the base amount for the year from $1000 to $2000. Whether we did one of these or moved it down to $500 or up to $5000, everyone would be dealing with the same starting point to allocate towards (in this scenario) BBDS and free agents. We only would have changed the multiple of the currency that we were using.
[/QUOTE]Absolutely!

It is like being in an auction draft w/$100 cap, and one with a $200 cap. It really doesn't matter, because it is all relative.