Idea's to improve the NFFC experience - for little expense.

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:50 pm

Well, after reading through 9 pages thus far, this has turned into something besides what I had hoped for.

This topic hits near to my heart as I went through the unfortunate experience of 2 boring live drafts in Florida.

If there is something I would suggest is to make sure there isn't a lot of bragging about what is going to be done in the feature city (Vegas) when you have participants paying the same money for a MUCH less experience in the step-child cities. I'm seriously worried about this when it comes to the expanded cities.

Hopefully for all involved, these cities will have more than 2 leagues each because I can tell you first hand, that sucks!

My heart is with the NFFC as it was my first high-stakes event. I will take this year off of the ME and see what the feedback is from this year.

Is hearing the name really that big a part of the experience for everyone? I mean if each league were secluded, does it add to the excitement to hear the named called out loud? Finding out who it is is where it's at for me.

I love the Message Board nametags at the live drafts. I think this helps build momentum towards the message boards and also builds recognition for each other.

I would also suggest the name badges/lanyards have the same thing so as participants walk around, people may recognize someone and strike up a conversation.

I might also suggest trying to organize more "team building" activities for the participants. An official breakfast the day of or happy hour the night before would be a good start in my opinion.

I have met some very good people in Florida over those 2 years, but it was because we reached out to each other instead of the event organizer putting something together.

Look at any convention out there. They organize these things to enhance the participant's experience.

I have many more, but will save for another time.

Again, good luck to my friends with the NFFC! Make it a great year!!! The competition is fierce!
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

RoadKing

Post by RoadKing » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:40 pm

Just Russ, I think that until there are thousands of live teams, multiple cities dilutes the "experience".
Why would you leave your home for a two team draft at a local city when you could draft online?
I see one other issue with venues that do not draw multiple teams...competition.
If your city is home to some of the best players you will be a disadvantage vs. a large group were the talent will be spread over multiple teams.

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:12 pm

Originally posted by RoadKing:
Why would you leave your home for a two team draft at a local city when you could draft online?Why go to a restaurant when you can just order in?

There are lots of reasons to go to the live drafts. Bottom line: you're missing out on a big part of the total experience if you stay at home.

I see one other issue with venues that do not draw multiple teams...competition.
If your city is home to some of the best players you will be a disadvantage vs. a large group were the talent will be spread over multiple teams. Alternatively, if your home city has a weak group of players, you can clean up!

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:29 pm

Just Russ, I think that until there are thousands of live teams, multiple cities dilutes the "experience".
Why would you leave your home for a two team draft at a local city when you could draft online?
If your city is home to some of the best players you will be a disadvantage vs. a large group were the talent will be spread over multiple teams. I don't believe it takes "thousands" of teams to be an enjoyable experience. But it does take more than 2 leagues in any particular city. I can attest to that.

The live experience is 1000 times more enjoyable than online if it done correctly.

Talent is everywhere. There was a league in Vegas last year that had 5 or 6 top players known to high-stakes IIRC. So, while in general I would agree that more teams means more chance for dead money, I would not have wanted to be in that league against 5 other known sharks, from a potential ROI perspective.

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:35 pm

I guess my suggestion to remedy what I perceive as a need to improve the cities where Greg and Tom are not present is to "hire" some of the MB regulars to be Ambassadors in those cities.

Maybe a credit towards satellites or post-season contest to whomever they "hire".

The Ambassadors would facilitate activities outside of the drafts. Things like:

breakfast the day of the ME
happy hour get togethers
golf our sightseeing outings
etc.

Maybe all of this is for naught if/when every city blows up with entries. :D

Shrink Attack

Post by Shrink Attack » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:39 pm

Hey, Russ...in terms of your sig:

Did you rest your starters in Week 16 and screw up your league?

(sorry...couldn't resist!)

[ June 19, 2010, 09:42 PM: Message edited by: Shrink Attack ]
"Deserve" ain't got nothin' to do with it
---Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven

RoadKing

Post by RoadKing » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:17 pm

King of Queens, 2 leagues in a draft room is not a "Total Experience". At least there is not a lot of backround noise!

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:56 am

Originally posted by Shrink Attack:
Hey, Russ...in terms of your sig:

Did you rest your starters in Week 16 and screw up your league?

(sorry...couldn't resist!)

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:23 am

King of Queens, 2 leagues in a draft room is not a "Total Experience". At least there is not a lot of backround noise! Maybe you're right. In the event that you are, please change your name to HomeKing.

RoadKing

Post by RoadKing » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:40 am

King of Queens, HomeKing would need to be signed off by my wife. I will let you know.