NFFC Satellite League Results

Nag'

Post by Nag' » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:12 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
quote:Originally posted by Nag':

My success from the 12 slot this year or any other slot will depend on me and ONLY me.. Your (or anyone's) success depends on a lot more than how well YOU drafted.
[/QUOTE]There's always lots of variables but if I have the "perfect" draft, there is nothing anyone can do to stop me.

Last year, I drafted from the 10 hole and had a awful year but I could've drafted Westbrook, Gore, Houshmansadeh, Evans, F.Taylor and Coles as my top 6 picks and would've EASILY made the Championship Round. It's ALWAYS on the drafter. Everything else is just excuses.
For Players. By Players.

KOTRAX

Post by KOTRAX » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:16 am

Originally posted by Nag':
quote:Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:

My success from the 12 slot this year or any other slot will depend on me and ONLY me.. Your (or anyone's) success depends on a lot more than how well YOU drafted.
[/QUOTE]There's always lots of variables but if I have the "perfect" draft, there is nothing anyone can do to stop me.

Last year, I drafted from the 10 hole and had a awful year but I could've drafted Westbrook, Gore, Houshmansadeh, Evans, F.Taylor and Coles as my top 6 picks and would've EASILY made the Championship Round. It's ALWAYS on the drafter. Everything else is just excuses.
[/QUOTE]TRUE NAG. OF COURSE THERE IS A WINNING FORMULA AFTER THAT FACT. HOWEVER THE FORMULA HAS BE SOMETHING WITHIN REASON. HOW THE HECK COULD ANYONE TAKE FRANK GORE HIGH LAST YEAR BECAUSE OF NINERS POOR LINE HISTORY ALONG GORE'S INJURY HISTORY?

[ August 17, 2007, 04:17 PM: Message edited by: KOTRAX ]

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:18 am

quote:Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
I was at WCOFF in 2002 when everyone wanted Marshall Faulk and felt the No. 1 teams had an advantage. The perception of an advantage and having an actual advantage are two different points which you continue to mix together like a fruit salad. The top picks are always coveted - yes - but they don't always produce to point scorers. You've admitted on numerous occasions, including this thread, that one of the main reasons you installed 3RR is because of the publicly percieved advantage with regards to winning from the top slots. You've fixed the perception for many - that's fine, but you can't claim that AND at the same time try to claim that 3RR is actually needed in reality. Because historically, it has not been. [/QUOTE]Your facts on history are obviously different than mine, but that's fine. I think the article by Jeff on footballguys.com proved the scoring differences last year from 1 through 14 and that any form of 3RR or 3RS or anything else that switched the draft order slightly evened the scoring somewhat. The top spots still finished ahead, but not by as much.

2005 would have shown the same results and as the facts point out, 2004 would have been more level, although as I pointed out from our facts the top half of the draft still performed better than the bottom half. If you click on your 2004 Consolation Round Standings link, you can see the draft spots for all of the teams that didn't make the Championship Round and where they drafted from for further data.

You feel the draft spot has no bearing on your final result. That's fine. Hell, when I started the NFFC in 2004, I hoped for the same thing. And I compete in 8-10 leagues a year NOT using 3RR, so I like to think I can win from anywhere too. God Bless all of us for that. But I'm running a high-stakes event and I'm taking steps to make the competition as fair as possible and through time KDS/3RR will accomplish my desired goals. I'm convinced about that and we won't be changing this format as long as I'm around.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:19 am

Originally posted by ultimatefantasyfootballcheatsheets:
quote:Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:

[/QUOTE]Not to mention H2H luck off the draw.
[/QUOTE]H2H "luck" is always a factor, but Greg and Tom should be applauded for changing the playoff format for each individual league champion.

That will go a LONG way to eliminate the "luckier" team winning each league! :D

Nag'

Post by Nag' » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:22 am

Originally posted by KOTRAX:
TRUE NAG. OF COURSE THERE IS A WINNING FORMULA AFTER THAT FACT. HOWEVER THE FORMULA HAS BE SOMETHING WITHIN REASON. HOW THE HECK COULD ANYONE TAKE FRANK GORE HIGH LAST YEAR BECAUSE OF NINERS POOR LINE HISTORY ALONG GORE'S INJURY HISTORY? Well he's a true story. I played in three $1000 leagues last year on Antsports and drafted Gore in all three, twice trading up to make sure to get him. The reason why I didn't draft him at 2.05 in the NFFC was because I had no BALLS. It's completely on me. I KNEW Gore was going to be very good and I didn't pull the trigger. Instead I hoped he'd fall to me at 3.10 and he obviously didn't make it. It was MY mad and MY bad only. I also passed on Willie Parker at 1.10 when Lou was talling me he's easily be a top 10 back and I didn't listen. Again - on ME. Nothing to do with ADP, 3RR, ABC or UPS.
For Players. By Players.

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:22 am

. It's ALWAYS on the drafter. Everything else is just excuses. Nah. Last year if you AND the LT2 and LJ owner all had the perfect draft, you would have lost.

Another example, if you had a perfect draft, but each week you played the highest scoring team, you'd also lose.

There are other examples as well. Now let's stop with the BS
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

Nag'

Post by Nag' » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:27 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
I think the article by Jeff on footballguys.com proved the scoring differences last year from 1 through 14 and that any form of 3RR or 3RS or anything else that switched the draft order slightly evened the scoring somewhat.The article by Jeff used statistics from something called the "FBG pick value calculator". You don't really expect rational people to accept that as any kind of "proof" do you? Come on now, Greg. :rolleyes:
For Players. By Players.

Nag'

Post by Nag' » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:29 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
. It's ALWAYS on the drafter. Everything else is just excuses. Nah. Last year if you AND the LT2 and LJ owner all had the perfect draft, you would have lost.

Another example, if you had a perfect draft, but each week you played the highest scoring team, you'd also lose.

There are other examples as well. Now let's stop with the BS
[/QUOTE]Obviously my ability to draft the top scorer was limited LAST YEAR due to the fact they were drafted top 3. But that was LAST YEAR. Other years produced different results. And that's no BS.
For Players. By Players.

Nag'

Post by Nag' » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:35 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
But I'm running a high-stakes event and I'm taking steps to make the competition as fair as possible and through time KDS/3RR will accomplish my desired goals. I'm convinced about that and we won't be changing this format as long as I'm around.
That's interesting. I guess you really do believe you've achieved "perfection".

[ August 17, 2007, 04:36 PM: Message edited by: Nag' ]
For Players. By Players.

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:45 am

quote:Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
But I'm running a high-stakes event and I'm taking steps to make the competition as fair as possible and through time KDS/3RR will accomplish my desired goals. I'm convinced about that and we won't be changing this format as long as I'm around.
That's interesting. I guess you really do believe you've achieved "perfection".
[/QUOTE]No one is perfect Nag, but give credit where credit is due here Nag.

Greg DID have the "balls" to implement 3RR, and HE believes (along with MANY others) that it is the best way to draft. When MANY more think it is a better way to draft than do not, obviously Greg is creating a product that people want.

While I agree that a good player can win from ANY spot, if you gave me a top 2 pick in the WCOFF FIVE times, and you took an 11 or 12 each time, I can safely say I would beat you all 5 times (and I respect your game Nag!)