NFL Lockout Thread

Tom Kessenich

NFL Lockout Thread

Post by Tom Kessenich » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:53 am

Good article from Chris Mortensen breaking down the current state of negotiations:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6687485
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Greg Ambrosius

NFL Lockout Thread

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:49 am

Wow, this is VERY exciting news. I think there's a framework that makes the game even more exciting for fans and will grow revenue in future years. From Chris Mortenson's article, here are the CBA Proposals:

Details of a proposed collective bargaining agreement being pitched to NFL owners Tuesday, according to sources:

• Players get 48 percent of "all revenue," without extra $1-billion-plus off top that previously had been requested by owners.

• Players' share will never dip below 46.5 percent, under new formula being negotiated.

• Teams required to spend minimum 90-93 percent of the salary cap.

• Rookie wage scale part of deal but still being "tweaked."

• Four years needed for unrestricted free-agent status. Certain tags will be retained, but still being discussed.

• 18-game regular season designated only as negotiable item and at no point is mandated in deal.

• New 16-game Thursday night TV package beginning in 2012.

• Owners still will get some expense credits that will allow funding for new stadiums.

• Retirees to benefit from improved health care, pension benefits as revenue projected to double to $18 million by 2016.

-- ESPN's Chris Mortensen and Adam Schefter
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Tom Kessenich

NFL Lockout Thread

Post by Tom Kessenich » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:09 am

Update from Pro Football Talk about the proposed 16-game Thursday Night schedule:

UPDATE: We’re already hearing scuttlebutt that perhaps NFLN would keep the late-season portion of the Thursday package, with only the first eight Thursdays being sold. Though more money can be realized via the sale of all games, the players need to realize that they have an interest in NFL Network becoming more and more viable and relevant. It’s a great vehicle for marketing the game and the individual players who routinely appear on Total Access. Actually, the best way to split the package would be on a bi-weekly basis, with NFLN getting a game every other Thursday. This would cause viewers who have easy access to the outside network to clamor for the in-house network, in order to fully enjoy their new Thursday night habit.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

BillyWaz

NFL Lockout Thread

Post by BillyWaz » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:19 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
Wow, this is VERY exciting news. I think there's a framework that makes the game even more exciting for fans and will grow revenue in future years. From Chris Mortenson's article, here are the CBA Proposals:

Details of a proposed collective bargaining agreement being pitched to NFL owners Tuesday, according to sources:

• Players get 48 percent of "all revenue," without extra $1-billion-plus off top that previously had been requested by owners.

• Players' share will never dip below 46.5 percent, under new formula being negotiated.

• Teams required to spend minimum 90-93 percent of the salary cap.

• Rookie wage scale part of deal but still being "tweaked."

• Four years needed for unrestricted free-agent status. Certain tags will be retained, but still being discussed.

• 18-game regular season designated only as negotiable item and at no point is mandated in deal.

• New 16-game Thursday night TV package beginning in 2012.

• Owners still will get some expense credits that will allow funding for new stadiums.

• Retirees to benefit from improved health care, pension benefits as revenue projected to double to $18 million by 2016.

-- ESPN's Chris Mortensen and Adam Schefter Exciting indeed!!

Can I book that flight to Chicago for Labor Day weekend as prices are very nice right now!! :D

Greg Ambrosius

NFL Lockout Thread

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:41 am

YEEEEEEEEEEEES BILLY!!! Book that one to Chicago and the next weekend's to Las Vegas as well!!! :D This baby is getting done and it's obvious they are too close now to eliminate the season. Now it's just a matter of when this deal can done, not if it can get done.

See ya in the Windy City AND in Sin City!!! :D
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship

thegambler

NFL Lockout Thread

Post by thegambler » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:05 am

flights to vegas are really cheap right now at southwest. i booked mine today for only $260. it was almost double that last week.

Greg Ambrosius

NFL Lockout Thread

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:33 am

Originally posted by thegambler:
flights to vegas are really cheap right now at southwest. i booked mine today for only $260. it was almost double that last week. Thanks for the heads up Andy. I just looked and could get to Las Vegas for $280 on Southwest. Nice savings!! It's time to book our flights all and start planning on a GREAT couple of weekends in Las Vegas and a great weekend in LV, Chicago and New York on Labor Day weekend. Take advantage of these savings if you can because I'm seeing some really good prices right now. WOW.

It also looks like other airlines are following suit. I can fly on Delta for $250 right now, so they are battling back with fair prices. In March, I think I paid $600. I'll take this savings if I can. Thanks guys.

[ June 21, 2011, 03:44 PM: Message edited by: Greg Ambrosius ]

Greg Ambrosius

NFL Lockout Thread

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:09 pm

A couple of interesting developments tonight from ESPN.com include:

** Current TV deals make 2014 the target year for an extended Thursday package, not 2012, according to a source.

** Players are willing to commit to at least a 10-year labor agreement if the sides can agree on the terms, sources told ESPN's John Clayton.

I'm all for a 10 year deal so that we don't have to deal with this much longer. And I like the Thursday night full schedule not starting for a few years. All positives today from what I can see. Now let's see what tomorrow brings.

Thursday will be Day 100 of the NFL lockout.

Greg Ambrosius

NFL Lockout Thread

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:21 am

Andrew Brandt does a good job of breaking down the deal points that seem to be on the table now:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Tra ... -deal.html

Tom Kessenich

NFL Lockout Thread

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:32 am

It appears the current belief is the new season will begin around July 15. That seems to be the target date right now.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich