NFFC Satellite League Results

KOTRAX

Post by KOTRAX » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:54 am

Originally posted by Nag':
quote:Originally posted by KOTRAX:
TRUE NAG. OF COURSE THERE IS A WINNING FORMULA AFTER THAT FACT. HOWEVER THE FORMULA HAS BE SOMETHING WITHIN REASON. HOW THE HECK COULD ANYONE TAKE FRANK GORE HIGH LAST YEAR BECAUSE OF NINERS POOR LINE HISTORY ALONG GORE'S INJURY HISTORY? Well he's a true story. I played in three $1000 leagues last year on Antsports and drafted Gore in all three, twice trading up to make sure to get him. The reason why I didn't draft him at 2.05 in the NFFC was because I had no BALLS. It's completely on me. I KNEW Gore was going to be very good and I didn't pull the trigger. Instead I hoped he'd fall to me at 3.10 and he obviously didn't make it. It was MY mad and MY bad only. I also passed on Willie Parker at 1.10 when Lou was talling me he's easily be a top 10 back and I didn't listen. Again - on ME. Nothing to do with ADP, 3RR, ABC or UPS. [/QUOTE]O.K. WITH THAT BEING TRUE YOU NAILED GORE. GREAT AND KUDOS TO THAT BUT MY POINT IS THAT IS DIFFICULT TO DO. IT WASN'T BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T HAVE BALLS BUT THE PLAYER VARIENCE SHRINKS WHEN YOU GET TO THAT LEVEL. TRUE THERE ARE TIME YOU HAVE TO GO WITH YOUR GUT BUT LOOK AT S.MOSS OF 2005. NOW I WONDER HOW MANY RECEIVERS WENT BEFORE HIM? IF YOU GOT HIM YOU LUCKED INTO HIM VS TARGETING HIM. SO I AM SAYING ITS TOUGHER TO NAIL THOSE TYPE OF PLAYERS ALBIET IT CAN BE DONE BUT TOUGHER THAN THE FRONT.

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:54 am

Originally posted by BillyWaz:
While I agree that a good player can win from ANY spot, if you gave me a top 2 pick in the WCOFF FIVE times, and you took an 11 or 12 each time, I can safely say I would beat you all 5 times (and I respect your game Nag!) Another BINGO winner
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:59 am

quote:Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
But I'm running a high-stakes event and I'm taking steps to make the competition as fair as possible and through time KDS/3RR will accomplish my desired goals. I'm convinced about that and we won't be changing this format as long as I'm around.
That's interesting. I guess you really do believe you've achieved "perfection".
[/QUOTE]Alex, you didn't really come up with that Message Board name by yourself, did you? Someone HAD to have called you NAG before you thought of it!! :D

It's all good fun and it's cool that we agree to disagree on the merits of 3RR. Who cares anyway? You're willing to compete under these rules and so are 320+ other folks to date. It will be a great competition under this format or straight serpentine. And there is no "perfect" format, but it is possible to create a "better" format. Just because we've always done something one way doesn't make it "perfect."
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Nag'

Post by Nag' » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:04 am

Originally posted by BillyWaz:
While I agree that a good player can win from ANY spot, if you gave me a top 2 pick in the WCOFF FIVE times, and you took an 11 or 12 each time, I can safely say I would beat you all 5 times (and I respect your game Nag!) Is there some sort of logical or statistical support for this claim cause it sounds just like a bunch of chest beating? With all due respect to YOUR game as well.

You do understand that, with that ridiculous claim, not a single good player should have EVER got beaten by the 11/12 picks with the top 2 pick in the 5 years of WCOFF? I mean, you do understand that is what you are claiming?

[ August 17, 2007, 05:08 PM: Message edited by: Nag' ]
For Players. By Players.

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:09 am

My thoughts on 3RR...

1) MOST IMPORTANT...NFFC players perception of a more balanced league got players off Greg's back and calmed the masses (that perhaps the 14 team format caused to a degree...(and back to back S.A, L.T record breaking seasons.) (P.S...does this make WCOFF the "tougher" league to win now?) :D

2) I like that it puts a crimp in the top selections ability to "mock/guess" their top 3 picks...(having to hope and pray one or even two highly coveted players fall back to them to be gobbled up with their 3/4 turn.)

3) The entire group of Middle Draft Positions get NOTHING different than standard serpentine draft...so why not leave them out of any argument for or against the success of 3RR. 3RR basically pits the success of the early draft positions vs. success of the late draft positions.

4) When randomly generating draft slots...re-run them until you get the heavy hitters (most successful drafters) ending up in the best spots to win your argument come seasons end! :D

I'm ready to start drinking with a smile! These debate threads are the best!

~Lance
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:13 am

"While I agree that a good player can win from ANY spot, if you gave me a top 2 pick in the WCOFF FIVE times, and you took an 11 or 12 each time, I can safely say I would beat you all 5 times (and I respect your game Nag!)"

I'd take that bet all day...I'd say neither wins 4 times. 5 out of 5 my ass...never thought you had that much of an ego!

~Lance
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver

KOTRAX

Post by KOTRAX » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:22 pm

quote:Originally posted by BillyWaz:
While I agree that a good player can win from ANY spot, if you gave me a top 2 pick in the WCOFF FIVE times, and you took an 11 or 12 each time, I can safely say I would beat you all 5 times (and I respect your game Nag!) Is there some sort of logical or statistical support for this claim cause it sounds just like a bunch of chest beating? With all due respect to YOUR game as well.

You do understand that, with that ridiculous claim, not a single good player should have EVER got beaten by the 11/12 picks with the top 2 pick in the 5 years of WCOFF? I mean, you do understand that is what you are claiming?
[/QUOTE]WELL I HAVE TO ADMIT TOO NAG THAT IS A BIT OF A STRETCH BY BILLY THERE. HOWEVER AT THE SIME TIME IT IS BIT OF A STRETCH TO SAY THAT IF YOU LOSE FROM THE 12 SPOT IT IS BECAUSE OF BAD DRAFTING.

[ August 17, 2007, 06:23 PM: Message edited by: KOTRAX ]

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:40 pm

Originally posted by sportsbettingman:
"While I agree that a good player can win from ANY spot, if you gave me a top 2 pick in the WCOFF FIVE times, and you took an 11 or 12 each time, I can safely say I would beat you all 5 times (and I respect your game Nag!)"

I'd take that bet all day...I'd say neither wins 4 times. 5 out of 5 my ass...never thought you had that much of an ego!

~Lance Lance,

It is not an ego, it is confidence and AWARENESS.

While 5 of 5 might be stretching it, 4 out of 5 is reasonable IMO. If the situation was reversed
and I was drafting at the back, and Nag had the top pick, as much as I think I could hang (as I have in the past as I am sure Nag has also), I KNOW I am starting at a disadvantage to a quality player in a 12 team NON 3RR format.

Look at the following scenario in a 12 team non 3RR format (assuming they both go RB-WR-WR);

TEAM 1 (picking from #1)

RB- #1 RB (LT)
WR- #7 WR
WR- #8 WR

TEAM 2 (picking from #2)

#12 RB
#1 WR
#11 WR

Are you going to tell me the #1 doesn't have an advantage???? Yes, the #12 gets the next pick, but as the draft goes along, the difference in each round becomes less and less.

YES, I realize you can win from any spot (my 2 championship rounds in the NFFC I drafted from 14 and 3). However, if you can't see how it IS an advantage at the front in a NON 3RR format (especially in 12 teamers) then I don't know what else to say.

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:44 pm

quote:Originally posted by BillyWaz:

[/QUOTE]As I told Lance, while 5 of 5 might be a stretch, if the situations were reversed, I KNOW it would be difficult for me to win more than 1 of 5 also.

OF COURSE people don't live up to expectations from a top spot as injuries, poor roster management etc. play a part.

To think it is NOT an advantage to have a top pick in a NON 3RR format is simply naive IMO.

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:04 pm

What is so wrong with an advantage if we all have exactly the same chance at getting that advantage?

~Lance

~Long John Silver