Quitters ruin this contest....

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:17 am

...nobody is even mentioning that a lack of or addition of OUT or IR or D or Q can change like crazy from TUE morning to SUN morning.

It's possible Ronnie Brown or Westy could be placed on IR sometime WED-SUN, and it would not factor in.

Players are often designated as inactive/OUT on gameday morning or afternoon...what then?

Total waste of time IMO, as the alternate rosters could still be crippled, and help some teams some weeks, and hurt others the next.

Hell...I don't even bother reading the injury reports until THU or FRI, as they are all fluff and speculation on MON, TUE, WED.

[ November 18, 2009, 11:31 AM: Message edited by: sportsbettingman ]
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver

Gordon Gekko II

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:21 am

Originally posted by Renman:
Why would Snelling be removed from a lineup for a player that is listed as OUT or on BYE? Cooley is listed a "out" so Cooley would automatically be out of the lineup based on King of Queens idea. Any player listed as OUT or on BYE would be on the bench. Players that are questionable are an entirely different matter. This is designed to clean up only the most blantant examples of an owner ignoring a team and starting players who are in no way going to be in a game. Renman –
First, you don’t understand King of Queens proposal. King of Queens is saying that the Lineup Optimizer will input the highest scoring (non-bye and non IR) avg players at each position. Cooley, Westy, etc… would be added to each team’s lineup each week.

Second, concerning YOUR proposal, how would you get around this one…
An owner has GIVEN UP on the season. He has two QB’s on his roster. Matt Schaub and Derek Anderson. In Week 10 the NFFC automatically replaces Schaub (bye week) with D.Anderson. If the owner has given up, M.Schaub will remain on the bench and D.Anderson will remain in the starting lineup the REST OF THE YEAR.

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:24 am

If all it does is replace IR and BYE week players...it would essentially be an expensive waste of time.
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver

Quahogs

Post by Quahogs » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:56 am

Lance, just think HE could be setting your lineup for you next year! I wonder if he's a WR or RB flex guy?

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:14 am

Originally posted by Quahogs:

Lance, just think HE could be setting your lineup for you next year! I wonder if he's a WR or RB flex guy? :D :D :D

You can have Big Brother Tom set yours...he's old school and leans toward RB's!

I'll take Big Brother Greg, as he values those full point per catch points for WR's vs. the 1/2 point!!!

~Long John Silver

Quahogs

Post by Quahogs » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:25 am

:D Big Brother Greg and Big Brother Tom tuesday morning! How are they going to remember ALL those passwords ?

Hey Greg no peaking ! Set your own 500 lineups!

[ November 18, 2009, 12:27 PM: Message edited by: Quahogs ]

Quahogs

Post by Quahogs » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:36 am

"argghh, they benched ###### and started ******* on me! C'mon mob, it's FONDUE TIME !!!!!! "

Sound Advice

Post by Sound Advice » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:45 am

How about a rule that ADDS bye week players to your line up if you are mean or if you suggest something stupid on the message board?

TamuScarecrow

Post by TamuScarecrow » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:36 am

I don't have a great answer (wish I did) but here's a suggestion: maybe Greg/Tom can field complaints about owners not fielding a legal lineup and give them a courtesy call reminding them how much other league members are counting on them to stay in touch with their team.I did this earlier in the year, RC, and it worked. The next week, the guy fielded a full lineup and kicked my *ss. I felt like calling Greg and asking him why he didn't wait a week before rattling the team's cage.

I have only read the first page of this thread so I may be redundent here but establishment intervention into the game is a very difficult and delicate situation indeed. On the one hand, Greg/Tom are encouraging those who enjoy FF to field as many teams as they can/want but on the other hand, some folks field more than they can/want to handle. I remember this idea of enjoyment vs. investment being discussed in a recent thread. On the one side is the guy who enjoys FF who puts up his $1300 to field one team to compete and enjoy the football season. On the other side is the 3-5 player consortium who put up $3900 and field 3 teams in hopes that one of the three will win a league to recoup their funds and have a crack at the $100k. One team flourishes and gets all of the attention, two teams tank and get ignored the last half of the season and this conversation comes up again. You can also apply this to the guy who plays in multiple internet leagues who is going to pay more attention to his winning teams than his losing teams.

To program software to make lineup changes is not as easy as people would think as logic cannot be an issue in its decision-making, only defined criteria. An example of what can blow up the software logic happened in my league this week when a team with 4 RB's had to start a player who was ruled out early in the week because 2 of his 4 were on the bye. If disenchanted FF players are going to ask Greg/Tom to set it up to where they can go in and alter lineups, why not have them set it up to go in and drop the team's worst player to pick up a needed position player/entity so teams are forced to field a legitimate lineup every week? I mean, that is the whole crux of this thread, making sure teams field a full legitimate lineup every week. Bottom line, we need to stop expecting computers/establishment to make up for the human factor in this game. Must be my conservative nature, but those who keep asking Greg/Tom to intervene in games for them **** me off. Yes, it is the ugly side of the game and it has happened to my team this year, but I got over it as part of the game and expect others to do the same. If your team is as good as you think it is, it won't be a issue in the end.
2005 NY/CHI League Champ
2006 CHI#2 3rd Place
2006 Auction Reg Season Champ
2007 TAM#2 2nd Place
2007 Auction Reg Season Champ
2009 LV#5 League Champ
2010 Auction Reg Season Champ
2011 LV#3 2nd Place
2012 LV Classic League Champ

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:38 am

Originally posted by Quahogs:

:D Big Brother Greg and Big Brother Tom tuesday morning! How are they going to remember ALL those passwords ?

Hey Greg no peaking ! Set your own 500 lineups! Now that's a good one Q. Right now we have almost 2,000 teams in the NFFC. So the computer is supposed to set up 2,000+ starting lineups each week and Tom and I are supposed to make sure each is done correctly?? We'll see how that plays out. ;)

And by the way, get used to that screen shot above. We may be doing a lot more of that in the NFBC and NFFC next season. Tom and I will be televangelists for your league placements in 2010!! :D
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius