Let's Have A Fun Discussion About Fantasy Football Scoring

Greg Ambrosius

Re: Let's Have A Fun Discussion About Fantasy Football Scori

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:02 pm

Coltsfan wrote:
Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Coltsfan wrote:KDS is nice but too restrictive for general leagues

Wayne
Wayne, I assume you mean that this is too restrictive to grow for a mass audience? Or do you mean something else?

Technically, we now have KDS set up so that once the league is formed and credit cards are run that our software runs through KDS in a minute and sets the draft order. There is nothing preventing us now from running leagues at the last minute, getting all KDS preferences set and the draft order announced in a matter of minutes. You'll see that with our Online Championship Leagues this year.

Yes that is what I meant Greg. It's find but and I like it but for me timing is a huge issue. I do everything last minute. Not everyone is that way.
Good to hear Wayne. Then yes I can say that we can easily accommodate you and those last minute signups. We can easily run KDS through our software, have the draft spots posted seconds later and get the league running minutes later. We couldn't do that last year, but we've automated everything to handle KDS easily for the NFFC this year. Technology is great, isn't it?

Again, it's one of the many software upgrades were making for the NFFC this year. Live Scoring and Live Overall Standings will also be much, much improved this year.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

CALI CARTEL

Post by CALI CARTEL » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:46 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:Great post Glenn. You are correct that a good, nationally run cutline championship with that real-time scoring and the cutline "line" would be very, very appealing. That may have been Fanball's best IT work on the live scoring of that national contest. I think a contest like that would have mass appeal with a meaningful but not outrageous grand prize and could be very successful. It would take a lot of programming to do that from scratch, but I do think it would be a good addition to any HSFF portfolio. Now you have me thinking. ;) :D
Loved the FFOC Playoffs, got to Week 14 on a team in the 2nd year, but it wasn't even my best team and wasn't near good enough to make a serious run at that top 15. I've run a 10-team, 2-starting QB system for the last ten with some high school/college friends, so their format was right up my alley, thought I had a nice advantage there. But it was really hard to win serious money in that format, it was more of a lottery than a grind out profit game with a run at overall bonus. Chad had a nice year the first year with 2 teams in the Final 15.

I'd definitely be in for a Cutline game here next season, even if it's a smaller side game to start out.

ulbkumn

Post by ulbkumn » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:59 am

I have been playing in other leagues for a couple years now and I usually get in about 22 leagues a year. This is my first year in NFFC and I love the format. QBs getting 6pts for a TD, keeps the QBs even. QBs like Cam, Vick, and RG3 get overvalued if they only get a 4pts for a passing TD. If you want to go to 4pts for a passing TD then you need to switch QB rushing TD to 4pts. TEs getting 1.5pts per catch means that Jimmy Graham is the very 1st pick in the draft over RBs and QBs. I done with fantasy football when the very first pick is a TE. Last year in my drafts I did not get the 1st or 2nd pick. I love how you can prioritize the order of draft position. In the 3RR format picking early gives you the chance to get best person in the draft and still a great pick in the 2nd round but having to wait to till the end of the 3rd round really handicaps draft position. No more does luck determine your draft. I have drafted in 8 drafts so far this season in the NFFC in different spots and did not see any draft position as more of an advantage than another.

Cocktails and Dreams

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:18 am

The easy answer if you want to go down the real football scoring card is that the qb did not score a td. As such there is no universally interchangeable number. There is for scoring a TD as the team gets 6 points in a football game. The person with the ball is the one that scores the TD though, not the QB. In turn the creators of the first major high stakes game as we know it tried to determine as best they could what value to put that at. I think it worked well. And with more and more passing, I think it works better. It is just one mans opinion, but that is why the consistency argument you brought up has no basis. Two guys simply don't score a TD. One does.
kjduke wrote:We've had this debate before but I'll play again. I don't like the QB 4 pt TD, it's a random number for a play that is universally interchangeable with the number "6".

I know there's a weird fantasy precedent for 4-pt passing TD's, but it's never made sense to me. Chad doesn't like the inconsistency of having different PPR's for different positions, which I agree with --- but I'm not sure why TD's should be any different. I like 6 whether it's on offense, defense, passing, catching or running ... six ... because it's a TD. :)
Last edited by Cocktails and Dreams on Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cocktails and Dreams

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:26 am

That FFOC format was the most exciting thing I have ever been a part of in high stakes fantasy football. Also the most disappointing thing, aside from the actions of our bankrupt(but still able to play WSOP events) buddy Dustin, for much different reasons. Really liked Stan as well over there. I wish they had been able to find the necessary success. That was one hell of an idea they had.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:35 am

Cocktails and Dreams wrote:That FFOC format was the most exciting thing I have ever been a part of in high stakes fantasy football. Also the most disappointing thing, aside from the actions of our bankrupt(but still able to play WSOP events) buddy Dustin, for much different reasons. Really liked Stan as well over there. I wish they had been able to find the necessary success. That was one hell of an idea they had.
I don't think there's any question that format works and can work very well. I know Stan is continuing it there and Stan will likely be in Las Vegas playing in the NFFC again. He's an interesting cat!! I think if done with the right entry point (it can't be too low and it can't be outrageously high and it DEFINITELY can't be FREE) this model can work. I really am intrigued by this model.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

philpo

Post by philpo » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:45 am

Cocktails and Dreams wrote:That FFOC format was the most exciting thing I have ever been a part of in high stakes fantasy football. Also the most disappointing thing, aside from the actions of our bankrupt(but still able to play WSOP events) buddy Dustin, for much different reasons. Really liked Stan as well over there. I wish they had been able to find the necessary success. That was one hell of an idea they had.
I couldnt agree more the FFOC playoff format was the best with the cutline I can remember on Monday nites watching the cutline move with each score from the Monday nite games. If you had a bad week and did not make the cut you were put out of your misery if you had a average week and made the cut you can regroup for next week. In the total points format for 3 week playoffs you have a bad week or average week you have very little chance with so many teams to overcome.

ForLoveOfTheGame

Post by ForLoveOfTheGame » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:26 pm

I'd definitely do 3 or 4 points for a passing TD, QB scoring is too high here to me (and yes, I'm well aware QB is the most important position on the field in the real NFL). Too many times I've had a good week from my team but my QB was sub-par while my opponent didn't get much from his team except his 400 yard 4 TD's from his QB so I get an L. Its near impossible for a RB, WR or TE to score 4 times in a week but it happens multiple times every week for QB's.

Negatives are not fun in any shape. Hell sometimes the center snaps the ball way too early and the QB isn't looking yet and the D falls on it. I lose points for this? Or when a QB throws a hail mary at the end of the game, I lose points for a INT there because he was trying to win the game? Come on! If you're talking about give the QB -2 just because the D gets plus 2 where does that stop? Should the QB get -1 for getting sacked, that hurt his team? The QB throws a TD for 6 should the D get -6 too? I'd probably give the D's more points for less points allowed (a shutout should be worth a ton, that's really impressive) and is the only spot I'd consider giving negatives (if your D is letting up 35 points you probably shouldn't be getting positive points from them).

I can't even comprehend why you wouldn't want KDS. It just gives you more control over your team, but maybe as one of the few who constantly puts 12 as his first KDS choice others cant comprehend as they fall over each other for #1 each year. 3RR is also fantastic, how some of those 1-3 picks teams would look this year would be insane. I definitely think 3RR is more needed in some years than others, especially as more and more teams go to RBBC, those first few guys give you a nice head start with their 350-400 touches but who knows, with how much passing is going on maybe QBs are about to be going 1-3 every year...

I would 100000% go to team kicker, I pushed for this in the off season but it didn't happen. I hate having to carry 2 kickers in the playoffs because the one time I took the risk of 1 he gets hurt.

Thanks for running a great contest Greg and most importantly asking for feedback, no one does it better!!! Did you ever find out if we are going to be able to delete/move our first player added this year for waivers? I think its a MUST ADD with 2 waiver wire periods and the last second wed practice news we'll be getting sometimes

Cocktails and Dreams

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:11 pm

The easier moving of players on the waiver system should certainly be a priority after the live scoring is squared away. Shouldn't have to click 15 times to move a guy from bottom of a 16 man list to the top. Agree bigtime that a little tweaking needs to be done with the FAAB system.

The Franchise

Post by The Franchise » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:24 pm

Making it easier to move players up and down faster is huge! Being able to move one of your conditional players to the top and make him your primary bid without having to delete the whole list would be a welcome fix. Agreed forloveofthegame

No other complaints life is great :D
Winning isn't everything, but the will to win is.