Is H2H Really The Bastion Of Fantasy Football?

particra

Re: Is H2H Really The Bastion Of Fantasy Football?

Post by particra » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:13 pm

kjduke wrote:
particra wrote:Since very few people win money in the tournament, H2H means something because they are taking at least $3k and maybe $7k in league prizes (for the Classic). So, the question to me isn't how many finish in Top 3, but Top 2 in points. Every H2H winner that is not in Top 2 is taking a large share of the league money when they are not one of the two best teams in the leagues, which means to me that H2H does matter in the only area that counts -- $$$$.
That's a good point. In the rare case it matters, it is too richly rewarded. League playoffs should happen, and they should be handicapped based on the regular season results. Dishing out league money to a low-scoring team over a partial season makes no sense to me; all of the major contests are guilty of this.
100% agreed.

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:13 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote: The fact that the H2H teams were among the leaders in total points doesn't make the setup a FARCE. It validates that the H2H winners are also the highest scoring teams, which they should be. Ask Glenn Lowy and KOQ if Victory Points was fair in a competitive $5,000 league and you'll see that no setup is perfect.
There were two big anomalies in this league:

1) VERY tight point totals -- the 2nd through 9th highest points scorers were within 50 points of one another

2) An imbalanced division structure -- Division A averaged 1732.6, Division B averaged 1785.6, Division C averaged 1830.4. Half of the Victory Point equation is H2H, and you play each team within your division twice . The path to the playoffs was far easier for Division A teams than Division C teams.

Bottom line: there is no perfect system

TradeStar28

Post by TradeStar28 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:14 pm

mattjb wrote:I agree that H2H is about playing with your local friends and about the banter that goes on in those match ups. That just doesn't exist at this level (outside of one or two instances).

I would prefer All Play every week with 12 points to 1 point (or 14 to 1) with a live updating table on the live scoring page. That to me would be exciting.

This is a MONEY idea.....i love it

Now you are playing H2H versus 11 other people ( or 13 in classic)

Everyone wants action....this concept would be orgasmic as we watch the big board update on every tick that comes in from a yard gained, a TD scored....or any point scored. Andhaving this in real time.......would be icing on our cake
2012 - FI$HER - Flying High Again

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:19 pm

TradeStar28 wrote:
mattjb wrote:I agree that H2H is about playing with your local friends and about the banter that goes on in those match ups. That just doesn't exist at this level (outside of one or two instances).

I would prefer All Play every week with 12 points to 1 point (or 14 to 1) with a live updating table on the live scoring page. That to me would be exciting.

Everyone wants action....this concept would be orgasmic as we watch the big board update on every tick that comes in from a yard gained, a TD scored....or any point scored. Andhaving this in real time.......would be icing on our cake
FantasyJungle did this, I expected to like it but in the end I thought it was boring. Since the outcome aligns very closely with total points anyway, I'd prefer a total points contest to all-play.

TradeStar28

Post by TradeStar28 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:26 pm

One other point to add....

There are decent amount of customers in NFFC who have multiple teams in the same actual event . Furthermore, you have customers who are playing multi-events (Classic, PT, online, diamond, auctions,etc)

So when you have a player on one team, and your same player is one of your opponents squads.....you dont even know how to root sometimes in a H2H concept.

By getting rid of H2H, you can just root for the most points on your particular roster and not worry as much as this will also hurt you because your team(s) are playing against the same player.

Cocktails and Dreams

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:27 pm

I am in the minority on this, but I think head to head should matter more, at least for the one spot it gets. This would happen by making it 2nd on the chain, rather than first. Still only one spot determined that way, but it would make many more head to head matchups more meaningful down the stretch. That is strictly from a enjoyment perspective though. I know the VP leagues accross the streat have a TON of factors in play each week to root for. You are playing other teams for a VP, your own opponent for 2 VP etc. There is always something on the line to root for come Monday. Usually many things. Here there is a lot more just rooting to put up points. And that is okay too, just not near as exciting in my point of view. If you don't want to use victory points like the other two places, that is okay. But going back to head to head 2nd in line would be a positive step. Why was the change made this year? Just because one fluky big league went how it did last year? Either go to total points only, so we can draft that way and not have to worry about a fluky team 4th or worse in points winning head to head. Or have head to head matter a little bit more.

TradeStar28

Post by TradeStar28 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:29 pm

kjduke wrote:
TradeStar28 wrote:

FantasyJungle did this, I expected to like it but in the end I thought it was boring. Since the outcome aligns very closely with total points anyway, I'd prefer a total points contest to all-play.
KJ, just out of curiousity, what exactly made this "boring"? I didnt participate in the jungle...

I figured you have the best of both worlds.....You have total points being the driving force of what determines a win or loss with the element of H2H sprinkled in for the people who like to play against others H2H.

Cocktails and Dreams

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:30 pm

I personally loved the fantasy jungle format of all play.

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:42 pm

TradeStar28 wrote:
KJ, just out of curiousity, what exactly made this "boring"? I didnt participate in the jungle...

I figured you have the best of both worlds.....You have total points being the driving force of what determines a win or loss with the element of H2H sprinkled in for the people who like to play against others H2H.
Yeah, you would think. Even though the stakes I played were on par with my other leagues, I didn't pay attention to these teams until the games were over. They had live scoring so you could watch all team scores, but the weekly outcome is of course just a points ranking. Lucky for me, I stopped playing these leagues out of apathy - the season before they burned everyone.

Do you watch your DC-style point-only leagues while the game is going on? Personally, I check in on them at the end of the day to see how they've done ... and I couldn't even tell you who I own on those teams.

TradeStar28

Post by TradeStar28 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:58 pm

kjduke wrote:
TradeStar28 wrote:

Yeah, you would think. Even though the stakes I played were on par with my other leagues, I didn't pay attention to these teams until the games were over. They had live scoring so you could watch all team scores, but the weekly outcome is of course just a points ranking. Lucky for me, I stopped playing these leagues out of apathy - the season before they burned everyone.

Do you watch your DC-style point-only leagues while the game is going on? Personally, I check in on them at the end of the day to see how they've done ... and I couldn't even tell you who I own on those teams.

Thats a good point, the all play format may make some players less interested during the course of a sunday and make it more tedious to track all the other teams to see if you will place in the top 6 (if primetime), etc.

For me, I like weeks 1 and 2 of NFFC primetime where its all play because i like sifting through the other rosters to see what chance i have to make that top 6 and get the W.....its very exciting........but you have to realize also that I only sign up for one team in any NFFC event. For example, I have 1 Classic team, 1 primetime team, and 1 online team. So people have 2 , 3, 4, 5 and even more in some of these events. So they would have hard time enjoying the sifting process.

But at the end of the day (i hate when people say this line to me...lol).......it is the excitement of winning, the fairness of being able to win because the rules and structure presents this fairness. In a H2H format, its not a level playing field, their is a lot of luck that can come into play that determines how much money you earn in a particular season.

And thats why I think we are all here.....to win and the byproduct of that is winning money