Trendsetters 2013

RedRyder

Re: Trendsetters 2013

Post by RedRyder » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:29 am

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
And we had the first official fantasy football draft of the night mixed into the show as well, thanks to the NFFC Trendsetters. That led perfectly into our segment on QBs because Rodgers fell to the 19th overall pick. That 15-minute segment just zipped by. Well, Tom got on a roll there and couldn't stop, but that's all good!! ;)
I'll have to go back and listen to the show, but I'm guessing Rodgers at 19 ranks as a value pick for you and Tom? ;)
@RedRyder

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:25 am

RedRyder wrote:
Greg Ambrosius wrote:
And we had the first official fantasy football draft of the night mixed into the show as well, thanks to the NFFC Trendsetters. That led perfectly into our segment on QBs because Rodgers fell to the 19th overall pick. That 15-minute segment just zipped by. Well, Tom got on a roll there and couldn't stop, but that's all good!! ;)
I'll have to go back and listen to the show, but I'm guessing Rodgers at 19 ranks as a value pick for you and Tom? ;)
We were shocked to see him outside of the first round, but it led in perfectly to how we wanted to talk about the great depth at QB this year. I think a lot of folks feel this year that nabbing that stud RB is the way to go this year because there are so many good options at QB. That should make for some fun drafts going forward. Heck, even though this is a DC, it was kind of cool to see 10 of the first 12 picks being RBs. It was old-school fantasy football again!!

We were shocked that Doug Martin went 2nd overall. We'd love to hear from that owner to see why Martin went ahead of Foster. And Jules, we'll definitely get you on our SiriusXM show. I think it's going to have to be on a football segment, though, right? No baseball this year? No problem, we look forward to talking with you about football and we'll do that soon enough. Check out our last show with Lindy Hinkelman and Michael O'Brien. You'll like it.

Thanks all and let's keep the football talk going. Draft Champions Leagues will be forming soon enough.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

RedRyder

Post by RedRyder » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:48 am

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
RedRyder wrote:
Greg Ambrosius wrote:
We were shocked to see him outside of the first round, but it led in perfectly to how we wanted to talk about the great depth at QB this year. I think a lot of folks feel this year that nabbing that stud RB is the way to go this year because there are so many good options at QB. That should make for some fun drafts going forward. Heck, even though this is a DC, it was kind of cool to see 10 of the first 12 picks being RBs. It was old-school fantasy football again!!

We were shocked that Doug Martin went 2nd overall. We'd love to hear from that owner to see why Martin went ahead of Foster. And Jules, we'll definitely get you on our SiriusXM show. I think it's going to have to be on a football segment, though, right? No baseball this year? No problem, we look forward to talking with you about football and we'll do that soon enough. Check out our last show with Lindy Hinkelman and Michael O'Brien. You'll like it.

Thanks all and let's keep the football talk going. Draft Champions Leagues will be forming soon enough.
I'd take Doug Martin at #2 also and I love Foster, but Martin has younger legs, no Ben Tate grabbing for touches, no minor heart problem that might require surgery and a history of hamstring issues.

Would love to be on the show, but you are correct only a football segment, I'm retired from fantasy baseball!
@RedRyder

RiFF

Post by RiFF » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:35 pm

Drafting from slot #8...roster through round 6: (first segment)

QB: Peyton Manning

RB: LeSean McCoy
RB: Matt Forte
RB: Darren McFadden

WR: Greg Jennings
WR: Dwayne Bowe

Actually was planning on waiting until round 5 or 6 to draft a QB, but pulled the trigger on Manning in round 4. Liked the value there. It was between he and Cam and went with Manning because of 6 points per TD pass. Cam went a couple picks later. The other picks were just bpa based on my early rankings.

BigBlueNation

Post by BigBlueNation » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:26 am

My first six picks from the 6 hole

1.6 Ray Rice - (5th RB off the board) The youthful talent of Martin and Richardson made Rice available at this spot. I thought I'd be choosing between Trent, Lynch or Calvin at this pick. The emergence of Pierce has taken some reps away from Rice, but positive thinking, he'll still get plenty of reps and be healthy and fresh all year.

2.9 Tom Brady - (3rd QB off the board) I was hellbent on going RB-RB this year, but with 12 RB's disappearing before it got back to me, I couldn't resist selecting Brady here. There's question about his deep ball throwing as he ages, but a healthy Gronk should keep his TD's up.

3.9 Randall Cobb - (12th WR off the board) This could be a little early by most standards, but I really like his situation in GB, especially if/when Jennings leaves. He could be the feature attraction for Rodgers, not to mention his run potential. I'm still waiting for him to throw a couple TD's. After all, he was a QB in his preNFL days.

4.6 David Wilson - (20th RB off the board) I was in a fortunate situation here. I was looking at Gore, Colston, or R Wayne for this pick. They all went in three of the four picks before my turn. I had been away that morning, got home to see that the Giants had just released Bradshaw. Wilson will get his chance, and if it works out, this could be one of the steals of the draft.

5.9 Willis McGahee - (24th RB off the board) I was looking for a full time third RB here. At 29, his yds/att are still good and he catches 2-3 passes per game. The presence of Manning has made Denver a good fit for him.

6.6 Mike Wallace - (31st WR off the board) I struggled with this pick. I was definitely taking a WR and had it narrowed down to 3-4. Wallace is a head case, "has no heart" (BWazz quote), but at 27, still has speed and talent to be a legitimate deep ball threat in the NFL. Hopefully, a healthy Roethlisberger (assuming Wallace stays in Pitt) and a new attitude will bring back the Wallace we all saw a couple years ago.

AFTER SIX ROUNDS
QB - Tom Brady - NE
RB1 - Ray Rice - Balt
RB2 - David Wilson - NYG
RB3 - Willis McGahee - Den
WR1 - Randall Cobb - GB
WR2 - Mike Wallace - Pit ?
Last edited by BigBlueNation on Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Cleavenger
UK Wildcats...We don't rebuild, we "RELOAD"

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:19 am

I'm very proud to have been lucky enough to win this league 2 of the last 3 years. I say lucky because I was able to draft Arian Foster very late his breakout year for my first championship and was able to grab RGIII, Russell Wilson, and Alfred Morris very late last year for my 2nd. I believe with this kind of format, against this level of competition, drafting so early in the off-season, it's how those late darts play out that make the difference.

I had the 4th pick going in to this year's draft and was hoping one of the top 3 RB's on my board would fall to me. Of course they didn't.

1.4 - Calvin Johnson - WR - When ADP, Doug Martin, and Arian Foster went with the top 3 picks, it left me deciding between my 2nd tier of RB's or the consensus top choice at WR. I've never drafted a WR this high before, but I did want one of the elite beasts at the WR position that I believe is 6-deep this year. Not confident one of the other 5 would make it back to me, I grabbed Calvin. Also typically a RB in the first round drafter, I wanted to see the type of team I could build with a WR this early.

2.10 - Chris Johnson - RB - When choosing Calvin with my 1st pick, I was hoping either another of the elite WR's or top-3 QB's would make it down to me here. I wanted to create a significant edge at WR or QB against those who went RB early considering no matter what I did at the RB position at this point, they'd have an edge on me there. It was not to be. Though a RB was taken with 10 of the first 12 picks, that run was immediately followed by a run on the remaining elite WR's, top QB's and top TE's. Since I'd now be in secondary tiers no matter what position I addressed (outside of K and D :D ), I decided to fill my RB1 spot. I went with CJ2K (and passed on MJD, Murray, & Ridley) considering that although he's regressed since his 2000 yd season, I believe he's one of the few backs still available talented, healthy, and young enough to approach that production again if everything broke right. At worst he's a HR hitter in a format that rewards HR hitters.

3.10 - Victor Cruz - WR - First off I want to say that I hate 3RR when I've got an early pick!!! :D The tier of RB's I was hoping would fall back here was completely wiped out along with a couple TE's I had my eye on, so I decided to revisit WR. In addition, the two picks prior to my pick were WR's and I felt a run coming. There were several I had ranked similarly still available, but I grabbed Cruz as the most capable and in best position to possibly return WR1 numbers. The next 5 picks were WR, I'm happy I grabbed Cruz when I did.

4.4 - Ryan Mathews - RB - Running back at this point is becoming a barren wasteland. I see a rejuvenated Frank Gore heading towards me and set my sights. Of course, Billy snares him the pick before he gets to me. Mathews was my 2nd choice here as a big upside play. However now faced with that choice, I had serious 2nd thoughts due to his downside. He's such a team killer. I take a lot of time with this pick, but not enough. 15 minutes after I bite the bullet and grab Mathews, the announcement comes out that the Giants had released Ahmad Bradshaw. David Wilson may have looked a lot nicer in this spot.

5.10 - Matt Stafford - QB - Unlike your typical NFFC draft, QB's were pushed back heavily in this draft. However, this was the round they started flying off the boards. I grab Stafford for the hookup with Calvin in the middle of a QB run of 6 straight picks.

6.4 - Steven Jackson - RB - I thought seriously about going WR here as there were several I liked a lot still on the boards. However as stated earlier, RB had become a barren wasteland. I see Jackson here as one of the last pretty safe choices to utilize as a RB3. A boring pick, but whether he re-ups at StL or moves over to GB, he should provide production that will warrant being drafted here. Of course, if he hangs 'em up, then I'm screwed. :)

My roster so far:

QB - Matt Stafford

RB - Chris Johnson
RB - Ryan Mathews
RB - Steven Jackson

WR - Calvin Johnson
WR - Victor Cruz

I look forward to the next phase of this draft in three weeks, in fact I can't wait. I always enjoy the Trendsetters format, there's nothing out there like it.

Rob B

Post by Rob B » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:32 am

Trendsetters 2013
Pick 13

Round 1: The draft begins with RBs taken with 8 of the first 10 picks. I am secretly hoping for Spiller or at the very least Alfred Morris but they both go right in front of me. Marshall went at 1.9 which was my back up plan if both of the RBs went ahead of me. Since my last two top tier RBs are gone I go with plan B and take my #1 QB, Brees. I expect a whole lot more of the same out of the NO offense in 2013, especially with Payton back on the sideline. I feel as though I have as safe a pick as possible in the NFFCs 6 pts per TD pass system.

Round 2: I know I am going to get a stud WR with this pick and when team 14 gets done with his two picks (both WRs), I still have a bunch of studs to choose from. What do I do? I take Jimmy Graham.

In the 14 team format you always leave the draft thinking that one of your skill positions is going to be a tad weak. Now when you don’t take a RB or WR in the first two rounds, you know you are going to be scrambling to find depth at those two slots.

I have made my bed and think that I can make up for it at RB by grabbing David Wilson and Lamar Miller at the 4-5 turn. The plan is in action.

Round 3: I am hoping that somehow Sproles makes it back to me at 3.2 (3RR) but that dream is squashed at 2.8. Since I have a plan for RB, I know I am going WR, especially since 15 RBs were taken in the first two rounds. I know that WRs are going to be gutted by the time I pick again at the end of the 4th round. I am looking at Andre Johnson, Crabtree, Wayne and Vincent Jackson. I decide to go with the old man.

After 3: Brees, Graham and Andre Johnson – safe, solid start?

Round 4: Planning on taking Wilson but again, he gets swallowed up at 4-6. Dang it. Mathews was also on my list but he went at 4-4. My turn comes around and since I know I am going to take Lamar Miller in the 5th (because there is no way anyone will take him that early), I take Reggie Bush with the hopes that he goes to Detroit.

Round 5: Team 14 takes Miller on the turn. A wtf moment for sure and there goes the plan. Right now I know that RB is the position that is going to be my sore spot. I decide to go WR and have a few to choose from. 21 WRs are already off the board and I decide to go with a WR that has top 20 potential, I grab Danario Alexander. I think he has found a home and with one more year under his belt, he could be a very solid #2 WR. I did toy with Leshoure but thought Alexander had greater upside and after getting burned twice already, I wasn’t waiting on him.

Round 6: I have a short list of four players that I hope to be able to choose from and lo and behold, all of them are here for me. That’s good news because when I pick again at 7.2, I’ll get another player that I covet at this point in a draft. I know that team 14 needs to go RB so I take my highest rated RB, Jonathan Stewart. He should have plenty of time to get ready/healthy for the season.

After 6:
QB: Brees
RB: Reggie Bush and Stewart
WR: Andre Johnson and Danario Alexander
TE: Jimmy Graham

I am fairly pleased with the start but think that Wilson and Lamar Miller at RB instead of the two above would have given my team quite a spark.

I wasn’t going to take Wilson in the 3rd so I don’t consider that a mistake but Miller on the other hand, I wanted him. I thought he would fall to me at 5.2 and gambled taking Bush first. I blew that one as I should have gone Miller before the turn and taken my chances on Bush being there instead. Got too cute and got burned. It means I’ll either have to throw a few more darts at RB of just start pounding WRs to make up for the lost points.
"My mama says she loves me but she could be jiving too!" BB King

BigBlueNation

Post by BigBlueNation » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:02 am

We still have one pick remaining in this phase of the draft, but I'll go ahead and post this. There have been two rookie selections in the first six rounds (rounds 3 and 6) this year. There also were two selections in the first six rounds of last years draft (rounds 3 and 5). Bear in mind, we don't fill in those slots until after the NFL draft. Last years third round rookie ended up as Trent Richardson. The fifth round selection turned into Doug Martin. Pretty good selections, huh?
Bill Cleavenger
UK Wildcats...We don't rebuild, we "RELOAD"

Sabretooth

Post by Sabretooth » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:17 pm

My team from the 1 spot

QB Eli Manning,Andy Dalton
I took these guys back to back at the 5-6 turn. I thought it best to get my Qb's back to back being at the top of the draft
and picking back to back the whole draft. Ryan,luck ,stafford, and romo all went in front of me. Im pretty happy with this
combo although a little surprised I didn't get Luck or romo.

RB Peterson,MJD
I pretty much just picked the best two RB's available. I always intended to take 2 RB's to start. Just gotta keep my fingers
crossed on MJD's situation. If it works out this is a great backfield.

WR VJAX, Stevie Johnson
I'm starting to regret the steve johnson pick. I probably should have gone with Colston and paired him with Vincent
jackson. Although i am intrigued with Johnson role in the new offense.

Overall I'm pretty happy with my team. This is such a tough league it is hard to get any separation this early on.

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:10 pm

My team from the #3 spot.....

1- RB ARIAN FOSTER

I liked #3 because I was content on starting with Doug Martin or Arian Foster. Some people say I got a gift, but I am not sure I feel that good about him over Martin. One thing I do know is that Foster is one of the few RB's who gets the carries, goal line, and catches. What happens next year when Andre Johnson and Owen Daniels DON'T stay healthy all year (well Daniels missed one game)....those catches should go UP.

2- WR RODDY WHITE

I am glad Glenn Lowy took Chris Johnson in front of me, as he would of been tough to pass on. That being said, I am very happy with Roddy here. Many predicted his demise last year due to Julio getting 100 catches and 15 TD's (yes, there were people who thought that), but he is just steady Roddy. With Gonzo leaving, and durable as ever, I am happy with this pick.

3- WR WES WELKER

When you are drafting in February, you sometimes have to take chances. I RARELY own Welker, and curse him every Sunday when I am playing against him. However, he is as consistent as they come IF he stays in New England. My feeling is that with Gronk hurt and partying too much, and A.Hernandez unable to play a whole season, they MUST keep Welker and think they will do everything they can to keep him. If he stays, I see his ADP in the 2nd round come August, if he leaves New England, this pick looks bad.

4- RB FRANK GORE

As Glenn Lowy said, the RB's were getting rough. Sure "Frank the Tank" is older, but he sure looked good in the playoffs, and the pistol formation helps him IMO. Still the goalline guy and workhorse, I see another solid season ahead. Would just like to see those catches get somewhere near where they were "pre Harbaugh".

5- QB RUSSELL WILSON

It came down to him and Tony Romo, and I like his upside much better, and once they took the reigns off around week 10, he was AWESOME. I think they pick up where they left off as Pete Carroll is a prick who likes to run up the score.

6- WR STEVE SMITH

Really toyed with this pick. A bunch of directions I could of gone, but wanted a safe #1 option who under the right conditions can "go off" any week but offered some consistency. Like Welker, I generally don't own him. Doesn't play as old as he is, and he finished the year really well last year. Carolina won 5 of there 6 final games and Smith averaged 15.81 ppg. As the 30th WR selected in this draft, I like his chances to outperform that ranking.

RECAP...

QB- RUSSELL WILSON
RB- ARIAN FOSTER
RB- FRANK GORE
WR- RODDY WHITE
WR- WES WELKER
WR- STEVE SMITH

Pretty happy with my roster at this point, but like Sabretooth said "very tough to distance yourself" with this crew, and the winning team is going to have last year's Russell Wilson, Alfred Morris, etc.

Always a fun draft! :D