KDS

greenwichsttavern

Re: KDS

Post by greenwichsttavern » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:59 am

Chad, i understand why you want the draft spots 24 hrs beforehand is because you dont want the same draft spot on 50 of your teams but you have to realize that 90% of the nffc players do not own more then one team or at least one classic and one primetime team at most.

BLACKHAND

Post by BLACKHAND » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:05 pm

i would not mind running the kds the day of the draft but i can see that being kaos doing it that way. the 4th preseason game most starters do not play. yes , some teams might have the wr3 not set but most things are sealed by then. the 3erd preseason game is sun aug.25th. maybe have your kds set by midnight and run them monday. that might be a middle grond for this year and next year run it the day of the draft.
THIS IS THE BUSINESS WE HAVE CHOSEN

Cocktails and Dreams

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:20 pm

greenwichsttavern wrote:Chad, i understand why you want the draft spots 24 hrs beforehand is because you dont want the same draft spot on 50 of your teams but you have to realize that 90% of the nffc players do not own more then one team or at least one classic and one primetime team at most.
This doesn't make any sense at all. The reason for wanting KDS late is to have the most current information to establish it with, not because of how many teams one has. If you only have one primetime or classic team, I would assume even more so that you would want to be able to set KDS with current information to most effectively set your KDS, no?

Cocktails and Dreams

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:29 pm

Lets keep in mind that there are so many drafts that last week that move players(not necessarily NFFC drafts but industry drafts). So planning your KDS on getting a certain guy in round 3 for example can drastically change if they start moving up that last week. The later the better. This is a game of skill after all is it not? I like no KDS personally because of this very reason. Too many think they need their pick early, even though it all because of anxiety and being curious. Has little to do with prep. You have to do prep to know where to set your KDS anyway. KDS is a royal pain in the ass when it has to be done too early. That is why I am holding off on my sign ups until I know how this will be resolved. So many options these days, and no partner this year, I have to be selective. Especially with main events. I know that late KDS works just fine. Happens in every online draft. Preparation for draft spot needed as an excuse is ridiculous. Guys move so much last few days it is insane. Therefore being able to set KDS late if it is going to be used is the only way to go. There are simply no good reasons for doing it otherwise.

The Franchise

Post by The Franchise » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:12 pm

greenwichsttavern wrote:Chad, i understand why you want the draft spots 24 hrs beforehand is because you dont want the same draft spot on 50 of your teams but you have to realize that 90% of the nffc players do not own more then one team or at least one classic and one primetime team at most.

Can we confirm that 90% of players in the NFFC only have one team? Still not the point of how many teams you have, but even more important to get KDS right with less teams. If my plan is to have only 2 teams this year then I'm going to want to set my KDS as close to the draft as possible.

Reason: (Hypothetical) I have been mock drafting all of August and early part of September and have done a satellite draft along the way. As the preseason moves along you start seeing players move up and down based on many factors (performance, injuries, coach talk and hype from websites). Then comes the big draft of the year on Saturday August 31st that I spent $1500 on. Based on my prep by doing mock drafts and so on I have come up with a plan on how I will attack my draft. I want my KDS to be 6 as first priority because I'm eying Spiller in the 1st and want Graham in the 2nd. But if I'm setting my KDS a week ahead of time things could change by the time my draft rolls around. Preseason only ends Thursday August 29th. Plus all week you still have information being leaked out about how this guy will be used in the offense or about how this other guy looked great last week and coaches are expecting big things and on and on.

Now Spiller moves up to pick 3 or Graham moves back into the 1st Rd because he looked like a beast in the preseason and that's all everyone can talk about. My plan just went out the window because I had my heart set on starting my team with those guys BECAUSE............... I only have a couple of teams this year so I want my favorite players on them. Someone with 50 teams can shrug their shoulders and say oh well I'll have a top 3 pick in another draft and will get Spiller there or I'm at the back-end of another and I can scoop up Jimmy in that one.

My point is your comment doesn't make sense and whether 50 teams or 1 I would think every player would want to utilize KDS for what it was intended for which is to try to get your preferred draft spot. Why is it your preferred draft spot??? Because you have already done the work/Mock drafts to educate yourself on which draft spot works best for you. Been doing this long enough to know players move up and down right before the season. Sometimes dramatic shift in where they go.

I love the option of KDS, but "my opinion" is it works best using it right before your draft. If not then just do like all other contests and give me my random spot in July so I have a month to prepare for it. Greg asked for opinions and that is mine
Winning isn't everything, but the will to win is.

BLACKHAND

Post by BLACKHAND » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:43 pm

nelson , point well taken but you are also counting on getting your top two or three kds choices. not all of us are that lucky. im all in favor of late as possible kds and will play whatever the outcome is but by what you just said you are counting on your top kds pick.

greenwichsttavern

Post by greenwichsttavern » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:16 pm

Nelson, you wrote all that and still didnt talk about the main point of the person that mock drafts for months at just say for example the 1-5 spots in the classic because you have your heart set on one of the top 5 rbs and then plan on taking just say p.harvin in the mid 20's...then 24hrs before the draft you get your pk sent to you and you have the 10 th pk. Did that person just waste the last couple months mock drafting and have to figure out new players and strategys hes going to wined up with and that he wants as he drives to the draft that day ?? or is it fair for 1500 bucks a team to say ok i have a week now to get a new plan together ?? Let me ask you this, is jimmy graham really going from the mid 20's to the top 12 in the 5 days between aug 25-30 or are you dreaming ?? Ibeen doing this a long time too and can't remember too many top tier players in the top 30 jumping up 10-15 picks after the 3rd week of preseason games until the start of season. We all know nobody plays the 4th week of preseason so whats changing drastically ?? And i understand positioning yourself for the first couple rounds to start with the combo you want ex spiller 6th/ Graham 23rd but is getting your draft spot the night before or a week before going to guarentee you get him at 23 or can he go 16th thru 26th by someone else ?? Nevermind that if you got your draft spots 24 hours before draftdate it would put an end to the draft announcements that Greg and Tom do a week earlier that plenty of people look foward too to see whose in their league and the trash talk all week that follows or are we going to ruin that part of the Nffc also ?? like i said the guys that have 50 teams and jump draft to draft all day long probably dont care about the classic and primetime draft announcements each year but i'd bet a lot more players do care then don't. And this is coming from a guy whose been playing in the nffc for 8 years and has more then a couple teams. Just my opinion.....

The Franchise

Post by The Franchise » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:30 pm

No not at all. The guy that has been mock drafting and preparing this whole time can be prepared for any draft spot even he or she gets their 10th preference. Because they have been preparing ahead of time they have a preference of where they would like to draft, but they have also been drafting from other spots to get a feel on how the team would look drafting from the back or the middle or the front. i think 48 hours before each draft is enough time to prepare and formulate a plan, but if everyone wants their pick way ahead of time then I just assume give us our picks tomorrow and we can have 2 months to prepare and talk trash. :lol:

So I own 50 teams means I don't care about my draft spots? :roll: I enjoy getting my draft spots very much just like everyone else. I'm just giving my opinion that I don't think KDS and getting your draft spot really early mix well. It's either one or the other. How early or how late? I don't know what the answer is. I'm just giving my opinion. It doesn't matter if I have 50 teams or 1 team. It's still my opinion and I gave my reasons on why. Not trying to ruin another part of the NFFC. Coming from a guy who does have 50 teams I do care about my draft spots and still get excited when they are announced despite your opinion that I do not.... :|
Winning isn't everything, but the will to win is.

BLACKHAND

Post by BLACKHAND » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:19 pm

i still think that somewhere after the 3erd preseason game it would be ok to get your kds. the 4th game does not mean much and while i am sure you can come up with a few players over the past few yearsthat got cut or made a starting lineup i am sure that they did well in the first three preseason games for you to adjust. at least nelson will have his 50 teams whatever the outcome is. :P

Route C

Post by Route C » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:32 pm

Chad
I don't know you... but according to my good friend BWazz you are a really nice guy. The problem for me is I just don't get that impression on the MB. Actually I find it difficult to even consider some of your thoughts because of the way you present them.
Consider this:
1) This thread is about changing a policy literally minutes before we hit peak draft season. That's what the off season is for. You couldn't possibly just now be realizing that this policy doesn't suit you.
2) Rather than present an idea and then respect the comments of others you argue opinions that don't line up with your presentation reminding us what a pain in the ass this is for you...bad form!
3) Then you go to the place nobody should go to on this MB...you talk about how they do it "across the street" then give the old "I'm trying to decide where to spend my $$$" plug. Dude I'm sorry but that's a very juvenile form of bullying IMO. You did the same thing last year over FAAB deadlines.
If it was my contest I'd tell you this protocol has been in place since last year and if you feel need to play somewhere else then do so.

I could actually be flexible on this subject if it were presented better and if it was done at the right time of the year. I'm just being honest with you here man. If Billy says you're a good dude then you probably are but you need to prove that in print as well as in person. Good luck this year.