Motion to Eliminate Kickers (from at least the Slow Drafts)

BigBlueNation

Re: Motion to Eliminate Kickers (from at least the Slow Draf

Post by BigBlueNation » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:17 pm

Don Draper wrote:this is getting to the point of "fantasy football for dummies". do your damn homework, and you'll be rewarded most of the time.
+1
Bill Cleavenger
UK Wildcats...We don't rebuild, we "RELOAD"

boutrous11

Post by boutrous11 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:49 pm

please do not eliminate kickers.

Fourslot40

Post by Fourslot40 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:36 pm

Kickers are no different than any other position. They need to stay. Prepare accordingly.

eliasond

Post by eliasond » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:09 pm

Holy kicker-trition batman! Let me be the poster child for this discussion. In a slow DC I did back in July my slate of kickers is Graham, Henery, Bonani, and Casey Spear. And here I sit 0-4 for kickers making rosters.

I am one who usually foregoes the top kickers to take other positions, until the first 10-12 are off the board. In this DC I was the 12th pick, and when my rd 18-19 turn came up there were only 3 kickers off the board, so I waited. When it came back to me another 14 had been taken. So I took Henery at that point and Graham on the following turn. I knew they were somewhat risky starters, so I took Bonani in rd 26 after trusting an un-named website that said he was leading the competition in Tenn. Then I was still somewhat concerned, so with the final mr. irrelevant pick of the draft in rd 35 I took Spear, who at the time I thought was the handcuff for Henery. I thought I did my homework! Oh well, nobody to blame but myself mostly, along with a bit of bad luck.

I would be in favor of team kickers for DC's, but would not push for it strongly. I would be fine leaving it alone as well.

However, I do have one footnote here -- if DC's stay with individual kickers, I will never spend more than $150 per team, just for this situation. I would not want $400 or $1000 down the drain already sitting here with no kickers. If we went with team kickers, it would be one less argument I would have to skip the high-end ones.

Daren.
Daren E
NFFC Charter Member
3-Time Las Vegas Auction League Champion (2004,2009,2015)
2-time Live Las Vegas Classic League Champion

nails

Post by nails » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:44 pm

KenGill wrote:Nails are you serious? The rules as they are now force people to pay attention to the kicking position.
Do you take the 2nd kicker in round 22 or do you take yet another RB or WR or TE? As some of the others mentioned, some of these guys were clearly in kicking competitions and at risk to get cut. Some of them will also be back in the league by week three. I would guess that Henery and Succop or Barth will get a shot somewhere. Feely, perhaps not since he's 38.

On a huge roster like in this format there is no excuse for not having a second and preferably 3rd kicker on it. Kickers get cut, kickers get hurt. Kickers go out and party like it's 1999 and get arrested for DUI just like position players do.

They are trying to make this as realistic as possible to running a real team. There's no do-overs in the NFL. You have what you have.
Dude, all i did was give an opinion. this issue has nothing to do with me or my teams. i draft after cuts are made.. i was just giving my opinion that if your going to hold drafts in july and august having one free agency period before games start is not a bad idea.. that's my opinion. i've been doing high stakes for 7 plus years.. i've never had an issue with kickers, i just gave an opinion.
Bring it on .

BigBlueNation

Post by BigBlueNation » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:44 pm

It's not simple, but you have to try to cover your bases in a DC, especially an early DC. If you wait on Kickers, you could be without. Don't blame the system, blame your strategy. I'm one of the idiots that may/will take a PK before a D/ST, just depends on the situation. I'd rather have two locked in PK's than guess on which D/ST is going to perform this year. JMO
Bill Cleavenger
UK Wildcats...We don't rebuild, we "RELOAD"

BONGIZMO

Post by BONGIZMO » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:31 am

BigBlueNation wrote:It's not simple, but you have to try to cover your bases in a DC, especially an early DC. If you wait on Kickers, you could be without. Don't blame the system, blame your strategy. I'm one of the idiots that may/will take a PK before a D/ST, just depends on the situation. I'd rather have two locked in PK's than guess on which D/ST is going to perform this year. JMO
+1
Never do card tricks for the people you play poker with.

boutrous11

Post by boutrous11 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:06 am

also, defenses don't get hurt. :D

moyer1313

Post by moyer1313 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:21 pm

Don Draper wrote:this is getting to the point of "fantasy football for dummies". do your damn homework, and you'll be rewarded most of the time.
Kinda like doing 30 or 35 Rounds, rather than 26. :D

Mark
Follow Me
'07 10-3 127.3 ppg $0 Won
'08 11-2 123.3 ppg $0 Won
'09 2-12 129.5 ppg $0 Won

The only team in NFFC Main Event history to win 11 games and not cash. :(

1683.8 pts. in 2009 is the record for a team with just 2 wins. Old record - 1479.95

Don Draper

Post by Don Draper » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:27 pm

Hi Mark! See you on Thursday. Looking forward to it 8-)