$996

Route C

Re: $996

Post by Route C » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:17 am

I hope Gordon doesn't play this year. I have him in a ton of leagues and he would help for sure if he's as productive as 2013 but I hate to see the eventual winner of big $$$$ come from such random circumstances.
There's so much randomness in this game, multiplied already by drafting on 2 different weekends. The lack of accountability by Goodell and the NFL brass just sickens me. The R.Rice incident is one thing but now we're trading hostages. "I'll give you W.Welker and J.Gordon for a new NFLPA agreement"

Goodells mission statement: "Whatever makes me..uh...err... the NFL the most the most $$$$$...we'll go with that" = bye bye Rice....hello Josh and Wes.

bald is beautiful

Post by bald is beautiful » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:23 am

I like reading all the opinions in this thread, because it confirms again for me that some people are not risk takers. As long as that mentality continues, I will be playing high stakes fantasy football.

If Jason Campbell delivered the ball to Gordon, do you really doubt that Brian Hoyer will do worse? Really? Even when Manziel starts to play (and he will), I will look forward to that because he is a gunslinger who will launch it to Gordon.

Make all the justifications that you want about Gordon's possible performance this year not being as good as last year's while you start James Jones or Danny Amendola as your 3rd WR. I'd rather puke.

I added Gordon to AJ Green, Marshall, Wallace, Hunter, Matthews & Hurns in the 14 team Super Auction. Why? Because 5th place sucks.

CALI CARTEL

Post by CALI CARTEL » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:44 am

Spending $980+ (like 18 out of 58 winning bidders did in the Online Championship) is probably not the best idea, but I got him for $777 and $677 in two out of three Online leagues he was available and am very happy (was outbid $804 to $777 on the third).

If he doesn't get reinstated, whatever, I've still got $200-$300 left on those teams and many times there's very little to use that money on in football -- think I sat on like $300 in FAAB last year on my best Primetime team that finished top 15 overall; Zac Stacy was the only guy that I can recall last year that was worth bidding big on, Alfred Morris was the only guy two years ago.

If he does get reinstated, I've got an OL team with Calvin, Gordon, Roddy & Colston at WR; come on NFL, pot isn't that bad.

chriseibl

Post by chriseibl » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:51 am

CALI CARTEL wrote:Spending $980+ (like 18 out of 58 winning bidders did in the Online Championship) is probably not the best idea, but I got him for $777 and $677 in two out of three Online leagues he was available and am very happy (was outbid $804 to $777 on the third).

If he doesn't get reinstated, whatever, I've still got $200-$300 left on those teams and many times there's very little to use that money on in football -- think I sat on like $300 in FAAB last year on my best Primetime team that finished top 15 overall; Zac Stacy was the only guy that I can recall last year that was worth bidding big on, Alfred Morris was the only guy two years ago.

If he does get reinstated, I've got an OL team with Calvin, Gordon, Roddy & Colston at WR; come on NFL, pot isn't that bad.
Keenan Allen and Andre Ellington were also free agents last year. But you could have had them in many leagues for just a couple bucks. I thought Gordon was worth 980 and I don't even think he'll be a top 10 receiver.

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:59 am

bald is beautiful wrote:I like reading all the opinions in this thread, because it confirms again for me that some people are not risk takers. As long as that mentality continues, I will be playing high stakes fantasy football.

If Jason Campbell delivered the ball to Gordon, do you really doubt that Brian Hoyer will do worse? Really? Even when Manziel starts to play (and he will), I will look forward to that because he is a gunslinger who will launch it to Gordon.

Make all the justifications that you want about Gordon's possible performance this year not being as good as last year's while you start James Jones or Danny Amendola as your 3rd WR. I'd rather puke.

I added Gordon to AJ Green, Marshall, Wallace, Hunter, Matthews & Hurns in the 14 team Super Auction. Why? Because 5th place sucks.
I took him in the 9th round of a $20K league, so I don't think risk aversion is what's being debated here.... at least not on my part. It's the amount of risk vs. the amount of reward vs. the probability of attaining that reward vs. the effect on what else you are able to do to improve your team once taking that risk.

All this said, maybe I'm just aggravated that I lost out on my Josh Gordon bids to those more extreme risk takers like yourself. ;)

PS... I was the second bidder in the NYC Super for Gordon to the OP's 996 bid. Yes, I think he overbid. :P

76erfan

Post by 76erfan » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:17 am

yeah he had to go all in on gordon though because his WR were weak. if it pays off..great...but if he has injuries during season and cant fill holes....well thats a problem. We will see how it plays out.

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:17 am

Glenneration X wrote: I took him in the 9th round of a $20K league
8.09, and you pissed off a lot of people (myself included) :lol:

I almost took both Welker and Gordon at the 7/8 turn -- settled on just Welker. Curious to hear Jack's thoughts if taking Welker/Gordon would have been "risk-taking" or sheer lunacy.

David U Kennedy

Post by David U Kennedy » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:21 am

chriseibl wrote:
David U Kennedy wrote:With Gordon I think most guys believe they will get last years version. I see more of a top 15 guy than a top 3. That Brown's offense looks dysfunctional. Still a nice add but not the dramatic difference maker he was last year. Hoyer or Manziel to Gordon doesn't inspire me.
I agree with this statement but still feel he's worth a $980 bid... unless you think there's another free agent WR out there who could potentially finish top 15. There may or may not be but odds are against it.

Actually I do think Hurns could be a top 20 or so guy. Mid August I started drafting Hurns as my 5th WR everywhere and I picked him up where I could. He will be Jax number one WR this year. I believe he is for real. Top 15 is probably a stretch but who knows. The Jags passing game could be sneaky good. It felt good to start Hurns on a couple of teams last week. I started him over Cooks because I wasn't sure how the Saints would use him.

David U Kennedy

Post by David U Kennedy » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:29 am

bald is beautiful wrote:I like reading all the opinions in this thread, because it confirms again for me that some people are not risk takers. As long as that mentality continues, I will be playing high stakes fantasy football.

I knew somebody would argue this point. The Browns will throw much less this year and probably not force so many balls to Gordon. Gordon wouldn't even start on my OC team with Cobb, White, Edelman, and Fitzgerald. Hawkins and Benjamin seem to be upgrades from last years WR core.

bald is beautiful

Post by bald is beautiful » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:41 am

King of Queens wrote:
Glenneration X wrote: I took him in the 9th round of a $20K league
8.09, and you pissed off a lot of people (myself included) :lol:

I almost took both Welker and Gordon at the 7/8 turn -- settled on just Welker. Curious to hear Jack's thoughts if taking Welker/Gordon would have been "risk-taking" or sheer lunacy.
It depends mostly on the construction of your team up to that point. If you had 2-3 good RBs by then and 3 other WR's, you could do it. You also have to be a Welker believer. The complicating factor for me is Welker's concussions - I wouldn't have drafted him at all. I realize that last statement is inconsistent with risk-taking, but I have to draw the line somewhere. :D