Is It Time to Move the 2nd FAAB Period to Saturday?

eliasond

Re: Is It Time to Move the 2nd FAAB Period to Saturday?

Post by eliasond » Fri May 20, 2016 8:44 am

Get rid of 2nd faab period and open up the waiver wire after the 1st faab for first come first serve free agent pickups until Sunday morning. That's how all my local leagues do it and it works like a charm. There are so few times during a season where this gives 1 team an unfair advantage while freeing up people's time on the weekend but still allows us to fill a hole in the lineup like a late kicker injury or cut. Can charge $5 of faab money or whatever is fair for each free agent pickup to prevent owners from churning their rosters.
Daren E
NFFC Charter Member
3-Time Las Vegas Auction League Champion (2004,2009,2015)
2-time Live Las Vegas Classic League Champion

chriseibl

Post by chriseibl » Fri May 20, 2016 9:01 am

eliasond wrote:Get rid of 2nd faab period and open up the waiver wire after the 1st faab for first come first serve free agent pickups until Sunday morning. That's how all my local leagues do it and it works like a charm. There are so few times during a season where this gives 1 team an unfair advantage while freeing up people's time on the weekend but still allows us to fill a hole in the lineup like a late kicker injury or cut. Can charge $5 of faab money or whatever is fair for each free agent pickup to prevent owners from churning their rosters.
This would increase people's need to be connected to news non-stop instead of at a specific point in time. Even if there are only a few times a season where this would give a team a noteworthy benefit, that would be a few times too many for a high stakes contest.

Also, there are plenty of injury updates that come after Wednesday that alter the perceived values of players (even if only a few end up being consequential in the end). I know I would constantly tinker with the 18-20 spots on my roster during the Weds-Fri injury updates without a much larger churning fee.

Also, I'd be pretty upset if I missed out on a player because of this rule.

chriseibl

Post by chriseibl » Fri May 20, 2016 9:20 am

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Coltsfan wrote:This is going a different direction but since the high stakes leagues went from doing waivers once a week to doing them twice a week I dropped my managed leagues down from 25 to 5 last year. If anyone would offer leagues with waivers once a week they would get all of my business. I already hate the WW and doing it twice zaps the fun out of FF. I'm like Chris Eibl - I can't just let it go. If it was Saturday at noon then I would be spending my Saturday mornings doing FF:) :o

Wayne
Wayne, blame the NFL for this, not the high-stakes game operators. If we do one FAAB period per week, it would have to be before the Thursday Night Game. Then if you did that, news would come out on Thursday or Friday of injured players missing this week's games and owners would complain that the system isn't fair, that they needed a chance to pick up the backup RB now. That's really what Friday FAAB is for.

You're damned if you do and damned if you don't. I agree that Fridays aren't major FAAB days, but every now and then a major pickup happens when someone is ruled out on Thursday or Friday and not having that second FAAB wouldn't allow owners the full week of injury updates.
I don't know that FAAB is absolutely needed before the Thursday game. The only thing having FAAB before Thursday accomplishes is allowing people to start players for that specific game. As long as people were allowed to drop players they didn't start from the Thursday game on Friday, I don't think that causes any serious issues and I'd much prefer the time savings over the opportunity to start a free agent who plays in a Thursday game, which may or may not even happen in a given season.

I think the only time across multiple teams I even needed to immediately start a Thursday free agent last year was with Harry Douglas... and I'd have been willing to sacrifice the 2 catches and 16 yards I received in return. Eff Harry Douglas.

I do see why people with less contests than myself would just prefer to have two free agent periods for the opportunity to immediately pick up and start a player playing on Thursday. I also can definitely see why a major contest would prefer to give players that freedom. I'm just saying it really doesn't amount to much in the end.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri May 20, 2016 10:09 am

chriseibl wrote:I don't know that FAAB is absolutely needed before the Thursday game. The only thing having FAAB before Thursday accomplishes is allowing people to start players for that specific game. As long as people were allowed to drop players they didn't start from the Thursday game on Friday, I don't think that causes any serious issues and I'd much prefer the time savings over the opportunity to start a free agent who plays in a Thursday game, which may or may not even happen in a given season.

I think the only time across multiple teams I even needed to immediately start a Thursday free agent last year was with Harry Douglas... and I'd have been willing to sacrifice the 2 catches and 16 yards I received in return. Eff Harry Douglas.

I do see why people with less contests than myself would just prefer to have two free agent periods for the opportunity to immediately pick up and start a player playing on Thursday. I also can definitely see why a major contest would prefer to give players that freedom. I'm just saying it really doesn't amount to much in the end.
This is probably a more worthy alternative than switching to a later Wednesday or Friday deadline. Obviously the drawback is missing out on a free agent who would have value THAT Thursday Night. But if the goal is simplifying FAAB that has gotten harder and more time consuming each year, going back to one Friday night FAAB knowing that we all might miss on one or two free agents playing in the early game might be a possible answer. I think it's worth considering.

Right now the current setup makes the most sense so that everyone has a shot at every available player for that week's games. But it definitely is a pain in the ass. :lol:
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

RedRyder

Post by RedRyder » Fri May 20, 2016 11:00 am

One Friday FAAB period a week is what I favor. I'd play more leagues like that and it would set you apart from your competitors.

I do think a key component would be the ability to drop a TNF player that is not locked in your starting line-up. Ie. a kicker who is on his bye week and is on your bench. Probably too much for programmers to code.

Whatever you do, I know this much is true, you will never satisfy everyone on this topic!
@RedRyder

edelman24

Post by edelman24 » Fri May 20, 2016 11:22 am

I'm 100% in agreement with Chris and Jules on this. I HATE 2 FAAB periods and would love for us to get back to 1 Friday night Faab. I can't even enjoy the Monday night game anymore as I start my FAAB then by Wed night I'm exhausted, to be able to spread it out over 5 days is much better and definitely allows to do more leagues. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Fri May 20, 2016 11:41 am

RedRyder wrote: I do think a key component would be the ability to drop a TNF player that is not locked in your starting line-up. Ie. a kicker who is on his bye week and is on your bench.
Whether one FAAB or two, a player benched for Thurs should be droppable on Friday. This is overdue.

hammer

Post by hammer » Fri May 20, 2016 11:54 am

kjduke wrote:
RedRyder wrote: I do think a key component would be the ability to drop a TNF player that is not locked in your starting line-up. Ie. a kicker who is on his bye week and is on your bench.
Whether one FAAB or two, a player benched for Thurs should be droppable on Friday. This is overdue.

100% agree with this... This is something than should be changed ASAP

BLACKHAND

Post by BLACKHAND » Fri May 20, 2016 1:26 pm

kjduke wrote:
+1
THIS IS THE BUSINESS WE HAVE CHOSEN

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Fri May 20, 2016 2:28 pm

I still agree with Greg's position from almost four years ago on dropping players who played in Thurs. games:
http://nffcforums.stats.com/viewtopic.p ... 40#p181709

If a player on your bench went off for 30 points on Thurs, then unless it was a do-or-die game for you that week, it's unlikely you'd drop him, right? But if he laid a goose egg, you might wanna try a different kicker. Now, what allowed you to arrive at that conclusion? Seeing the result of his game that week!

So I still feel that you shouldn't be allowed to see one player's result in a week, then drop him if he sucked, and pickup another player in his spot, and even START the new player that same weekend!?! That equates to using the same roster spot (albeit not in your lineup) twice in the same week, no? :?