Team Kicker Draft Champions Rehash

TheChosenOne

Team Kicker Draft Champions Rehash

Post by TheChosenOne » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:32 pm

I definitely agree with BigBlueNation and ColtsFan. It is important to draft kickers as a valued position, especially in early draft champions leagues. I believe BigBlueNation mentioned this in his write up for Trendsetters. I have seen teams draft there first kicker as early as the 15th Round with the hopes of securing a Top 3 Kicker and they usually follow that up with another top kicker in the next round or two. I bet you there were early teams that drafted both Jordy & K Benjamin in 2015. Just like there are early teams in 2016 that drafted both M Bryant and Stevie Johnson (would have mentioned Dion Lewis, but he was already an injury risk). I am not sure why the drafting of the kicker should be handled any differently.

Maybe in redraft leagues it could be Team Kicker for Week 1 only. Because I can't see any successful high stakes players drafting two kickers. Just a thought.

Sandman62

Re: Team Kicker Draft Champions Rehash

Post by Sandman62 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:07 pm

TheChosenOne wrote:I am not sure why the drafting of the kicker should be handled any differently.
A couple reasons I can think of:
1) We draft 10-12 WRs in a DC and losing 2 of them isn't losing our entire squad at that position.
2) Though we only draft a few QBs and TEs too, they don't seem to be as expendable to NFL teams as kickers are.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:11 pm

The quarterback position is typically defined as the most important position in the NFL by most people in the league. And yet many teams in the league carry only two players at the position. That's just one than most teams carry at kicker.

Expendable would seem to be in the eye of the beholder I guess.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:17 pm

Tom Kessenich wrote:The quarterback position is typically defined as the most important position in the NFL by most people in the league. And yet many teams in the league carry only two players at the position. That's just one than most teams carry at kicker.

Expendable would seem to be in the eye of the beholder I guess.
I may be wrong Tom, but I think we're saying the same thing? :? My point was that in DCs, people typically carry 3-4 QBs and kickers - yet no one is suggesting team QBs (nor am I). But NFL teams don't seem to cut QBs anywhere near as easily as kickers; so even though we carry the same number at both positions, kickers are a lot riskier, IMO.

TheChosenOne

Post by TheChosenOne » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:49 pm

Sandman I understand what you are saying, however I think what makes drafting DC Leagues unique is the strategy related to drafting Kickers, Defenses, Back-up QB's and TE's. That is what separates the DC veterans from the newcomers who have been participating in other industry "best ball" style leagues.

If Team Kicker is instituted, all of the teams will be loading up on RB's and WR's in the middle rounds with only a few kickers going before round 18 if not later. It is all relative since the premium placed on drafting a kicker drops the ADP's of the back-up skill position players. Players who are willing to wait on kicker and hit could load up on the high end handcuffs and 3rd receivers, however if they miss on kicker there is a steep price to pay. I am not sure that the price would be as steep if Team Kicker was adopted.

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:05 pm

I understand what you're saying. And I'm not lobbying for team kicker; heck, I hate ALL kicker solutions equally! :D
I was just pointing out why I think kickers aren't the same as QBs (and TEs) just because we draft a similar number.

COZ

Post by COZ » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:48 pm

Pretty sure Tampa Bay's GM, Jason Licht, is in favor of the Team Kicker due to their "unpredictability " as well. Trading UP in the second round to draft a college kicker??? Big Blue Nation must have been in the draft room whispering in their ear.

Also, someone in NY please bring this T-shirt for Tom to wear..... ;)
image.jpg
image.jpg (15.35 KiB) Viewed 2733 times
COZ

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:56 pm

Nice. :)

I never said I would draft a backup kicker. I rarely do. I'm just saying that with 20 roster spots there's more than enough room in the NFFC to do so to protect yourself for Week 1. I think we all have the mindset that we want to chase after that next big sleeper pick and the reality is that 18th, 19th and 20th round sleeper rarely pans out and that's often the player we end up cutting in Week 1 anyway. So why not just use that pick to protect ourselves strategically instead? It would just seem to make sense.

But hey, you go right on drafting Jeff Janis instead. Good luck with that. :)
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

COZ

Post by COZ » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:34 pm

Tom Kessenich wrote:Nice. :)

I never said I would draft a backup kicker. I rarely do. I'm just saying that with 20 roster spots there's more than enough room in the NFFC to do so to protect yourself for Week 1. I think we all have the mindset that we want to chase after that next big sleeper pick and the reality is that 18th, 19th and 20th round sleeper rarely pans out and that's often the player we end up cutting in Week 1 anyway. So why not just use that pick to protect ourselves strategically instead? It would just seem to make sense.

But hey, you go right on drafting Jeff Janis instead. Good luck with that. :)
Your Jeff Janis hate is strong, Tom. ;) Your points are well-taken and I totally understand & appreciate yours & others' points for valuing kickers and I agree with much of the sentiment, but in reality, we pay big entry fees and nothing is more maddening than starting out the season behind the 8-ball with a big fat zero out of the kicker position for something that was entirely unforeseeable. And yes, it happens to every position and there is always risk, but it is even more maddening out of the kicker spot, because, yes, there is probably not as much respect for kickers as there should beas you so ably articulated, but it is still maddening nonetheless when you get blindsided by a kicker cut out of nowhere.
COZ

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:37 pm

I don't hate Janis.

I just know Aaron Rodgers does. ;)

And I'm pretty sure I explained the rather easy and painless way to prevent taking that Week 1 zero at the kicker position, didn't I?
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich